Polar diagram for Mosquito?

Old January 31st 05, 09:36 AM
Dave Boulter

Default Polar diagram for Mosquito?

Hi,

Does anybody have a polar diagram for the Mosquito?

Thanks

http://www.sgi-extremelinux.com
The source of innovation and discoveryTM
|"Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground, and....miss."
Old January 31st 05, 02:36 PM
root

Dave Boulter wrote:

Hi,

Does anybody have a polar diagram for the Mosquito?

Thanks

http://www.sgi-extremelinux.com
The source of innovation and discoveryTM
|"Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground, and....miss."
| --- Ford Prefect
| Dave Boulter
| Technology Solutions
| Director of Customer Services
| ICON
| Silicon Graphics
| Sydney Australia
|Email:
|Tel: +61.2.8875.9541
|Fax: +61.2.8875.9484

Airspeed in km/h, sink speed in m/s, wing loading in kg/m²

Mosquito H-303 [IDA] (36.2)

D-1303
IDA
36.20
mps
70 0.69
75 0.65
80 0.63
85 0.63
90 0.63
95 0.64
100 0.67
105 0.71
110 0.75
115 0.80
120 0.85
125 0.92
130 0.99
135 1.07
140 1.15
145 1.24
150 1.34
155 1.45
160 1.57
165 1.70
170 1.84
175 1.99
180 2.16
185 2.33

Mosquito H-303B [IDA] (34)

D-1436
IDA
34.00
mps
70 0.65
75 0.65
80 0.62
85 0.61
90 0.63
95 0.65
100 0.68
105 0.71
110 0.76
115 0.81
120 0.87
125 0.93
130 1.00
135 1.08
140 1.17
145 1.28
150 1.40
155 1.53
160 1.65
165 1.77
170 1.91
175 2.04
180 2.19
185 2.33
190 2.51
Old January 31st 05, 04:24 PM
For Example John Smith

The columns are kilometres per hour & metres per second?
70kph/0.69mps
75kph/0.65mps
etc

Old January 31st 05, 06:24 PM
Shawn

root wrote:
Dave Boulter wrote:

Hi,

Does anybody have a polar diagram for the Mosquito?

Thanks

http://www.sgi-extremelinux.com
The source of innovation and discoveryTM
|"Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground, and....miss."
| --- Ford Prefect
| Dave Boulter
| Technology Solutions
| Director of Customer Services
| ICON
| Silicon Graphics
| Sydney Australia
|Email:
|Tel: +61.2.8875.9541
|Fax: +61.2.8875.9484

Airspeed in km/h, sink speed in m/s, wing loading in kg/m²

Mosquito H-303 [IDA] (36.2)

D-1303
IDA
36.20
mps
70 0.69
75 0.65
80 0.63
85 0.63
90 0.63
95 0.64
100 0.67
105 0.71
110 0.75
115 0.80
120 0.85
125 0.92
130 0.99
135 1.07
140 1.15
145 1.24
150 1.34
155 1.45
160 1.57
165 1.70
170 1.84
175 1.99
180 2.16
185 2.33

Mosquito H-303B [IDA] (34)

D-1436
IDA
34.00
mps
70 0.65
75 0.65
80 0.62
85 0.61
90 0.63
95 0.65
100 0.68
105 0.71
110 0.76
115 0.81
120 0.87
125 0.93
130 1.00
135 1.08
140 1.17
145 1.28
150 1.40
155 1.53
160 1.65
165 1.77
170 1.91
175 2.04
180 2.19
185 2.33
190 2.51

Flap settings? Turbulatoers?
Old February 1st 05, 06:02 PM
root

Shawn wrote:
Flap settings? Turbulatoers?

I don't have any info about that. Anyway in most flight manuals
for flapped gliders I have seen, there is only one polar (or zero)
for the whole speed range, the glider being assumed to be flown
in every part of this range with the "appropriate" flap setting.
I think it is a bad thing, as only from separate polars for each flap
setting can this appropriate flap setting be deduced, but things are
what they are.
Old February 1st 05, 06:19 PM
Shawn

root wrote:
Shawn wrote:

Flap settings? Turbulatoers?

I don't have any info about that. Anyway in most flight manuals
for flapped gliders I have seen, there is only one polar (or zero)
for the whole speed range, the glider being assumed to be flown
in every part of this range with the "appropriate" flap setting.
I think it is a bad thing, as only from separate polars for each flap
setting can this appropriate flap setting be deduced, but things are
what they are.

I agree. Given no other information that's what I'd assume too. Do you
know if that data reflects the use of turbulators? My understanding of
Mosquito history is that once the need for turbulators was recognized it
significantly changed the performance and "personality" of the glider.

Shawn
Old February 1st 05, 07:09 PM
Lars P. Hansen

The original flight manual has the usual single polar curve, based on the
glider being flown at optimum flap setting for any speed.

Having flown a Mosquito for more than a decade, I have often investigated
the question about turbolators. Every knowledgeable person I have spoken to,
has told me that the Wortmann FX-67-Kxxx wing section (also used for the
Nimbus, DG-200 and others) was never designed for turbolators. Adding them
will almost certainly do more harm than good. The section has to be designed
for turbs in order to gain from them.

Happy Soaring,
Lars Peder

--
Lars P. Hansen
Repalce numbers with post1.tele.dk for e-mail

Old February 2nd 05, 01:53 PM
Robert Ehrlich

"Lars P. Hansen" wrote:

The original flight manual has the usual single polar curve, based on the
glider being flown at optimum flap setting for any speed.

One may wonder where this kind of beautiful continuous polar comes from,
except if the glider has a continously movable flap lever. With the
usual disposition of a small number of discrete settings, the polar
should at least exhibit a kink when the setting changes.
Old February 2nd 05, 03:38 PM
Shawn

Robert Ehrlich wrote:
"Lars P. Hansen" wrote:

The original flight manual has the usual single polar curve, based on the
glider being flown at optimum flap setting for any speed.

One may wonder where this kind of beautiful continuous polar comes from,
except if the glider has a continously movable flap lever. With the
usual disposition of a small number of discrete settings, the polar
should at least exhibit a kink when the setting changes.

Marketing department?
Old February 2nd 05, 07:07 PM
For Example John Smith

Funny, I'd always made the assumption that the polar published by the mfr.
was for a single flap setting, otherwise they'd be even flatter around the
best LD point.

Dick Johnson's review of the Mosquito says that best LD @ 0 flaps is @ 50kts
and with flaps at the -1 setting best you get the same LD at about 55kts.
http://www.ssa.org/Johnson/29-1979-08.pdf

Intersting reading by Dick about flaps in general and PIKs in particular
he http://www.sli-institute.ac.uk/~bob/...bout_Flaps.pdf

root wrote:
Shawn wrote:

Flap settings? Turbulatoers?

I don't have any info about that. Anyway in most flight manuals
for flapped gliders I have seen, there is only one polar (or zero)
for the whole speed range, the glider being assumed to be flown
in every part of this range with the "appropriate" flap setting.
I think it is a bad thing, as only from separate polars for each flap
setting can this appropriate flap setting be deduced, but things are
what they are.

I agree. Given no other information that's what I'd assume too. Do you
know if that data reflects the use of turbulators? My understanding of
Mosquito history is that once the need for turbulators was recognized it
significantly changed the performance and "personality" of the glider.

Shawn

Stemme S10-VT Polar Catherine Conway Soaring 2 December 21st 04 05:17 PM
Anyone have an airport diagram for Toronto Center City airport? Peter R. Piloting 10 November 19th 04 01:26 AM
ASW27B polar Chip Fitzpatrick Soaring 2 March 1st 04 12:48 PM
Blanik L-13 polar BTIZ Soaring 4 August 14th 03 06:51 AM
Is anyone still interested in CuSoft "Polar Explorer" program for PC? Branko Stojkovic Soaring 1 July 26th 03 01:06 AM