"Direct when able"

Old August 29th 03, 05:46 AM
Mitchell Gossman

Default "Direct when able"

When instructed to fly a heading then "Direct XYZ when able", does a
controller expect a call when you are in fact able and will be turning
on course? Usually it is a trivial turn since the heading they give is
a good guess for direct course.

I've had conflicting experience. One time after being told the above,
I responded "I'm able to go direct now" and his ackowledgement had a
"who cares? Just do it" tone to it.

Just a few days ago, I made the 8 degree turn to navigate directly to
the VORTAC, and when the shift change at approach took place, the new
controller asked what my heading was, whether I was picking up the
VORTAC, and when I told him that I was navigating direct, he seemed
surprised.

Mitchell Gossman
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Old August 29th 03, 06:49 AM
Michael 182

Don't know if there is a "right way", but I just fly the heading until I can
navigate direct. I've never updated the controller when I'm heading direct
to the waypoint unless he requested it.

Michael

m...

Old August 29th 03, 08:59 PM
JerryK

I usually tell them before I make the course change. It might be a few
minutes before I am able to go direct and letting the controller know helps
ensures everyone is on the same page.

jerry

Old August 30th 03, 02:42 AM

Chip Jones wrote:

No. When ATC says "Direct XYZ when able", the unsaid part of the message is
that they have deconflicted you from traffic between you and XYZ. With no
conflict, they don't care if you are a few degress left or right of XYZ
until you find it. They know that you will be turning a bit (depending on
how good the vector is) as you receive the station. The "when able"
phraseology authorizes the turn.

That is SO well stated. Too bad, all the FAAs can't get together and put gems
like that in a guidance handbook.

Old August 30th 03, 02:10 PM
Allan9

VOR/VORTAC/TACAN NAVAID's
Normal Usable Altitudes and Radius Distances Class
Altitude
Distance
(miles)

12,000 and below
25

Below 18,000
40

Below 14,500
40

14,500 - 17,999
100

18,000 - FL 450
130

Above FL 450
100

Altitude and distance limitations need not be applied when any of the
following conditions are met:

a. Routing is initiated by ATC or requested by the pilot and the following
is provided:

1. Radar monitoring.

2. As necessary, course guidance unless the aircraft is /E, /F, /G, or
/R equipped.

NOTE-
1. Para 4-4-1, Route Use, requires radar monitoring be provided at FL
450 and below to aircraft on random (impromptu) RNAV routes.
Para 5-5-1, Application, requires radar separation be provided for these
routes at FL 450 and below.

2. When a clearance is issued beyond the altitude and/or distance
limitations of a NAVAID, in addition to being responsible for maintaining
separation from other aircraft and airspace, the controller is responsible
for providing aircraft with information and advice related to significant
deviations from the expected flight path.

Old August 31st 03, 04:32 AM
Bob Gardner

The FAA did not write the new instrument handbook. I wrote two chapters
myself. What the FAA did, however, was to edit the text severely and force
it to fit into some of their preconceived notions. I lost some good stuff
during the editing process.

Bob Gardner

wrote in message ...

Paul Tomblin wrote:

In a previous article, said:
Chip Jones wrote:
No. When ATC says "Direct XYZ when able", the unsaid part of the

message is
that they have deconflicted you from traffic between you and XYZ.

With no
That is SO well stated. Too bad, all the FAAs can't get together and

put gems
like that in a guidance handbook.

It was clear, direct, understandable and based on the real world. So

the
FAA would have no interest in publishing anything like it.

No doubt you're right on that one. When they wrote the current IFR

Handbook they
ended up with some pretty big errors because the left hand didn't know

what the
right hand was doing.

Old August 31st 03, 04:35 AM
Bob Gardner

I tell my readers (and anyone else who will listen), that "when able" also
means "when you can proceed without hitting anything." Simply getting a good
needle is not the whole story. ATC has no responsibility for keeping you out
of the trees until you reach their MIA.

Bob Gardner

Old August 31st 03, 02:18 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Bob Gardner" said:
I tell my readers (and anyone else who will listen), that "when able" also
means "when you can proceed without hitting anything." Simply getting a good
needle is not the whole story. ATC has no responsibility for keeping you out
of the trees until you reach their MIA.

The other day I was north of Syracuse and I asked for direct Rochester
(instead of flying down to Syracuse and following V2). The controller
cleared me "direct when able", and when the GPS showed that I would just
barely miss the restricted area (R-5203?), I turned. But evidently that
was too close for her, because a few minutes later she turned me 45
degrees off my course for a few minutes before she let me turn back.

I wonder if I should have said something to her about seeing the
restricted area on my GPS?

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
Simulated editor war, conducted by seasoned professionals in a controlled