ILS vs circle to land

Old June 21st 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default ILS vs circle to land

Recently I flew a 172 to SBA. ILS 7 was in use, wind 250 at 7. The
runway is quite long so I wasn't concerned about the tailwind.
However, if I had been concerned about the wind direction, is it best
to ask the approach controller for a different runway? Or would the
tower deal with it? I assume approach is best since if he has others
inbound behind me they might be delayed as a flew a pattern to the
opposite runway.

I assume it would be poor form to turn out into a downwind for runway
25 without telling anyone

Old June 21st 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 06/20/06 16:45, Yossarian wrote:
Recently I flew a 172 to SBA. ILS 7 was in use, wind 250 at 7. The
runway is quite long so I wasn't concerned about the tailwind.
However, if I had been concerned about the wind direction, is it best
to ask the approach controller for a different runway? Or would the
tower deal with it? I assume approach is best since if he has others
inbound behind me they might be delayed as a flew a pattern to the
opposite runway.

I assume it would be poor form to turn out into a downwind for runway
25 without telling anyone

The tower controller clears you to land, not the approach controller.

The ATIS for the field may tell you what runway/approach,etc.
is in use.

The approach controller will generally tell you when you will be
circling as well, as this involves (possibly) different minimums.

If the approach controller doesn't mention the circle and you
want it, just request it when you contact the tower controller

... XXX tower, Cessna XXX, inbound ILS 7, request circle 25

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old June 21st 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Yossarian wrote:
However, if I had been concerned about the wind direction, is it best
to ask the approach controller for a different runway?

It's best to execute an approach that's available and most appropriate
for the landing conditions. This includes weather (including wind) and
traffic flow. The approach controller is probably aware of the landing
conditions, and will assign an appropriate approach. Check my example
below.

That being said, traffic flow is mostly someone else's problem. If the
PIC determines that an assigned approach compromises safety, it's his
responsibility to request a more appropriate approach.

Or would the tower deal with it?

Tell the approach controller what you want. He'll coordinate it with
the tower controller.

I assume it would be poor form to turn out into a downwind for runway
25 without telling anyone

It's poor form to land at a towered airport without a clearance.

If you want to circle to land, let the approach controller know while
you're talking to him. If you decide you need to circle after you're
handed off, request it from the tower.

For example, the last time I flew to Palwaukee, the clouds were low and
scattered, and the wind was strong out of the southwest. ATIS advised
to expect ILS 16 with a circle to land 24, with "advise if unable". I
did the ILS 16 approach and was handed off to the tower, who asked
where I was parking. I reported parking in the NW corner, with the
field in sight, and the gave me clear to land on 30. That was ...
perfect!

Old June 21st 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Yossarian wrote:

I assume it would be poor form to turn out into a downwind for runway
25 without telling anyone

At an airport with an operating tower, it would be a serious violation.
At a non-towered airport it is your call, and ATC usually couldn't
care less.

I'll be the tie breaker on the specifics at KSBA. If you make the
decision to circle to a runway other than 7 early on, let approach
control know. The earlier the better. If they don't want to deal with
it they will tell you to restate your request to the tower when you are
shipped over to the tower. It's a variable, especially including
whether the Class D surface area is above or below VFR minimums. When
the airport is below VFR minimums, you are far more apt to get what you
want as to circle-to-land.
Old June 21st 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

You can ask the approach controller since he can forword the request to
tower. However, landing with a tailwind should be part of any pilot's
IFR training. Luckily most runways lucky enough to have an ILS are also
long.

-robert, CFII

Old June 21st 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

The local controller will let you land on whatever runway you want to land
on...but you might be delayed, and you might get the "at your own risk"
caveat.

Bob Gardner

oups.com...

Old June 21st 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Yossarian" wrote in message
oups.com...

Recently I flew a 172 to SBA. ILS 7 was in use, wind 250 at 7. The
runway is quite long so I wasn't concerned about the tailwind.
However, if I had been concerned about the wind direction, is it best
to ask the approach controller for a different runway? Or would the
tower deal with it? I assume approach is best since if he has others
inbound behind me they might be delayed as a flew a pattern to the
opposite runway.

Sequencing of arrivals is the responsibility of approach control, your
request should be made there.

I assume it would be poor form to turn out into a downwind for runway
25 without telling anyone

Probably a bit more serious than that.

Old June 21st 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote in message
oups.com...

It's best to execute an approach that's available and most appropriate
for the landing conditions. This includes weather (including wind) and
traffic flow. The approach controller is probably aware of the landing
conditions, and will assign an appropriate approach. Check my example
below.

That being said, traffic flow is mostly someone else's problem. If the
PIC determines that an assigned approach compromises safety, it's his
responsibility to request a more appropriate approach.

Yes, and if traffic permits he will probably get it. If he can't go with
the flow there may be a bit of a wait for his request.

Old June 25th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Robert M. Gary wrote:
You can ask the approach controller since he can forword the request to
tower. However, landing with a tailwind should be part of any pilot's
IFR training. Luckily most runways lucky enough to have an ILS are also
long.

Of course, if there is a different approach for the other runway, the
approach control is a valid place to ask.
Old June 25th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Bob Gardner wrote:
The local controller will let you land on whatever runway you want to land
on...but you might be delayed, and you might get the "at your own risk"
caveat.

You ask to Circle to Land on 1R when you're flying the ILS 19L appraoch
at Dulles and see what kind of response you get.