French block airlift of British troops to Basra

Old September 18th 03, 05:22 PM
William Black

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"Peter McLelland" wrote in message
om...

Interestingly enough the French usually reserve their riots for their
own government and have a pretty good record of making their
government change it's policy this way.

I wasn't thinking the anger of the French people would be directed at the
UK.

Why ever not, it has been for the last thousand years or so.

I'm afraid we just don't get on.

Which is odd, because I like the place and I like the food. I even like
the people outside the big cities.

However the French in the big cities are a ghastly bunch, although I think
they hate their own provincials more than they hate the Brits...

--
William Black
------------------

Old September 18th 03, 05:25 PM
William Black

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"William Black" wrote in message

The price of champagne and decent cheese would drop even lower.

French wine is all from California vines and we can't buy French cheese.

And the Californian vines came from where originally?

I've tried that stuff they sell as 'domestic champagne' in the USA,
including the stuff made by Mumm, which chemical plant makes it?

Not being able to buy French cheese is a cruel and unusual punishment...

--
William Black
------------------

Old September 18th 03, 05:50 PM
Peter Kemp

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:25:34 +0000 (UTC), "William Black"
wrote:

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"William Black" wrote in message

The price of champagne and decent cheese would drop even lower.

French wine is all from California vines and we can't buy French cheese.

And the Californian vines came from where originally?

I've tried that stuff they sell as 'domestic champagne' in the USA,
including the stuff made by Mumm, which chemical plant makes it?

Not being able to buy French cheese is a cruel and unusual punishment...

Tarver obviously has a shopping problem since last time I was at the
supermarket in the US (last night) there was plenty of cheese from
France. Now tracking down a decent mature farmhouse cheddar is a real
challenge!

Peter Kemp
Old September 18th 03, 06:02 PM
Keith Willshaw

"William Black" wrote in message

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"William Black" wrote in message

The price of champagne and decent cheese would drop even lower.

French wine is all from California vines and we can't buy French cheese.

And the Californian vines came from where originally?

The French (and Californian) vines were destroyed by the
Phyloxera infestation in the 19th century but it was found
that the native American rootstocks found in Missouri
were resistant, all modern French wine is grown from cuttings
grafted on to those American rootstocks.

Keith

Old September 18th 03, 06:17 PM
Tarver Engineering

"William Black" wrote in message

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"Peter McLelland" wrote in message
om...

Interestingly enough the French usually reserve their riots for their
own government and have a pretty good record of making their
government change it's policy this way.

I wasn't thinking the anger of the French people would be directed at

the
UK.

Why ever not, it has been for the last thousand years or so.

That could be associated with the English invading France; you know that
whole burning a girl at the stake thing.

I'm afraid we just don't get on.

Which is odd, because I like the place and I like the food. I even like
the people outside the big cities.

Yes, we had a Parisian exchange student here in the house and she was very
nice, but her family spent all the weekends in the country. Her parents
were both physicians and I hoep they did not get in trouble over the 15,000
that died from the heat. That sort of euthanasia should save Chirac's
Government many EU in pensions.

However the French in the big cities are a ghastly bunch, although I

think
they hate their own provincials more than they hate the Brits...

France seems intent on isolating herself from the civilized world.

Old September 18th 03, 06:18 PM
Tarver Engineering

"William Black" wrote in message

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"William Black" wrote in message

The price of champagne and decent cheese would drop even lower.

French wine is all from California vines and we can't buy French cheese.

And the Californian vines came from where originally?

Italy.

I've tried that stuff they sell as 'domestic champagne' in the USA,
including the stuff made by Mumm, which chemical plant makes it?

I have to say, the White Star I bought for my friends at New Years is much
better.

Not being able to buy French cheese is a cruel and unusual punishment...

The FDA says French cheese is a biohazard.

Old September 18th 03, 06:19 PM
Tarver Engineering

wrote:

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"William Black" wrote in message

The price of champagne and decent cheese would drop even lower.

French wine is all from California vines and we can't buy French

cheese.

And the Californian vines came from where originally?

I've tried that stuff they sell as 'domestic champagne' in the USA,
including the stuff made by Mumm, which chemical plant makes it?

Not being able to buy French cheese is a cruel and unusual punishment...

Tarver obviously has a shopping problem since last time I was at the
supermarket in the US (last night) there was plenty of cheese from
France. Now tracking down a decent mature farmhouse cheddar is a real
challenge!

Oh no silly child, Mr. Black is refering to the good kind of French cheese.

Old September 18th 03, 08:45 PM
Earl

"William Black" wrote in
:

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"William Black" wrote in
message ...

The price of champagne and decent cheese would drop even
lower.

French wine is all from California vines and we can't buy
French cheese.

And the Californian vines came from where originally?

I've tried that stuff they sell as 'domestic champagne' in
the USA, including the stuff made by Mumm, which chemical
plant makes it?

Not being able to buy French cheese is a cruel and unusual
punishment...

--
William Black
------------------
On time, on budget, or works;
Pick any two from three

IIRC the plants came from Tuscany along with all those little
ole winemakers that dotted the California countryside. The
French and their grapes stayed home to prepare for the Franco
Prussian War and WW1.

I thought the adultration of wines to be sold at top prices was
a French art. There certainly have been enough Frenchmen caught
at it lately.
Old September 18th 03, 08:48 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Earl" wrote in message
"William Black" wrote in
:

[...]

Italinans in the Central Valley funded a civil war against the railroads,
with their wine. They are the Dalton brothers.

I thought the adultration of wines to be sold at top prices was
a French art. There certainly have been enough Frenchmen caught
at it lately.

A little anti-freeze, perhaps?

Old September 18th 03, 09:25 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Grantland" wrote in message
"Tarver Engineering" bellowed:

France seems intent on isolating herself from the civilized world.

Oh the irony. Exquisite!

Don't foget the golden rule, Grantland:

He who has the gold, makes the rules.