Budget Retracts - Anyone own a Sierra or Comanche 180?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 4th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Budget Retracts - Anyone own a Sierra or Comanche 180?

I'm a PVT, IFR pilot, but fairly low time at 350 hours, mostly in
various fixed gear PA28's.

I'm interested in buying an entry level retractable. I'd like to use
it to get my commercial certificate, and maybe go on to my CFI/CFII.
But the primary mission would be to haul my wife, 1 year old son and
our two small dogs on 200-400 NM x-c's up and down the east coast to
visit family.

I've noticed that the older Comanche 180's and Beech Sierra seem to be
a good buy. There are several on TAP and ASO right now with mid time
engines, modern updated panels and GPS in the $45-$55K range. A
comparable Arrow, C172RG, 177RG or Commander 112 would be at least $65K
and up. Frankly it looks like the owners of these Comanche's &
Sierra's have much more invested in their aircraft than they are worth.

Any owners/operators care to share your experiences with these two
aircraft?
Are Beech parts really *that* much more expensive than Piper parts?
Is it a nightmare trying to maintain an older retractable? I would
hope not to have to sell either one anytime soon. So fast forward 10
years to 2016 --- what you you rather be maintaining, a 37 year old
Beech Sierra or a 57 year old Piper Comanche?

Thanks for sharing!

Rich

Comanche accident averted last evening [email protected] Piloting 23 April 13th 05 10:02 AM
REAL BUDGET BUSTER Cribsheet Piloting 2 December 18th 04 10:02 PM
Commanche alternatives? John Cook Military Aviation 99 March 24th 04 03:22 AM
Commanche alternatives? Kevin Brooks Naval Aviation 23 March 24th 04 03:22 AM
RAH-66 Comanche helicopter could face budget cuts in 2005 Larry Dighera Military Aviation 0 November 19th 03 02:18 PM