A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Taurus glider for sale



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old April 19th 19, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 317
Default Taurus glider for sale

I bought a G-103 that had been in a hangar fire in Georgia, Peach State Club. We needed a left wing and the photos showed what looked like a useable left wing on a fuselage with canopies that had been hot enough to melt the canopies. Both canopied draped down like a tarp, but it was the new shape of the plexiglass! The outer skin of the left wing top was blistered and had to be replaced, but the spar caps were undamaged. I figured the wing hadn’t been in 350 degree environment long enough to affect the more dense spar cap. We proof-loaded the wing and it took 5.3 G’s with flying colors! That was some 25 years ago and that ship is still flying today!
Just a little data point about how much heat a fiberglass structure can take,
JJ
Ads
  #12  
Old April 19th 19, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 576
Default Taurus glider for sale

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 7:10:14 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I bought a G-103 that had been in a hangar fire in Georgia, Peach State Club. We needed a left wing and the photos showed what looked like a useable left wing on a fuselage with canopies that had been hot enough to melt the canopies. Both canopied draped down like a tarp, but it was the new shape of the plexiglass! The outer skin of the left wing top was blistered and had to be replaced, but the spar caps were undamaged. I figured the wing hadn’t been in 350 degree environment long enough to affect the more dense spar cap. We proof-loaded the wing and it took 5.3 G’s with flying colors! That was some 25 years ago and that ship is still flying today!
Just a little data point about how much heat a fiberglass structure can take,
JJ


I remember seeing those Peach State gliders tied down at Williamson after the fire.
Have also flown an ASH25Mi that was previously an ASH25M and involved in an engine compartment fire. The factory replaced the fuselage, worked on the wings, got it flying as good as ever.
Jim
  #13  
Old April 19th 19, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 473
Default Taurus glider for sale

On 4/19/2019 8:10 AM, wrote:
I bought a G-103 that had been in a hangar fire in Georgia, Peach State
Club. We needed a left wing and the photos showed what looked like a
useable left wing on a fuselage with canopies that had been hot enough to
melt the canopies. Both canopied draped down like a tarp, but it was the
new shape of the plexiglass! The outer skin of the left wing top was
blistered and had to be replaced, but the spar caps were undamaged. I
figured the wing hadn’t been in 350 degree environment long enough to
affect the more dense spar cap. We proof-loaded the wing and it took 5.3
G’s with flying colors! That was some 25 years ago and that ship is still
flying today! Just a little data point about how much heat a fiberglass
structure can take, JJ


WARNING: Engineering humor nearby!!!

Good thing the statute of limitations has expired, JJ, cuz the engineer in me
likes how you thought - and acted on the courage of your convictions - all
those years ago. Just like 'industry big boys' and 'reasonable government
safety-regulating-minions' regularly do in aviation-land - one test is worth a
thousand considered opinions. (Take *that* FUD-Merchants and [sometimes]
lazy/fearful manufacturers!)

Now back to regularly-scheduled programming.

:-)

Bob W.


---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

  #14  
Old April 19th 19, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,292
Default Taurus glider for sale

I was hoping JJ would post up about his fire damage repairs.

Right now at the HP shop we're doing a skunky project involving high-temperature epoxy systems. As part of it, we did some test on more pedestrian epoxies of the sort typically used in gliders. They appear to demonstrate that you can get them well above Tg and they'll still recover full strength when they cool down. Of course, how far above Tg you can safely get is hard to quantify.

...They are shocked that it has not been destroyed...


A corporate entity based in a former Soviet republic is surprised that airworthiness authorities did not seize and destroy the personal property of a private citizen?

Shocked, I tell you, Shocked!

(Bogie never did say "Play it again, Sam.")

--Bob K.
  #15  
Old April 19th 19, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 317
Default Taurus glider for sale

I asked my good friend, Stan Hall about flying this “heat treated” Grob wing and he gave me his honest opinion...........Only way to know for sure is to proof load it! Stan helped me on several projects including strength analysis of my scratch built Super Bowles Albatross.I sent him a full scale drawing of my center-wing attachments and he replied, “it’s strong enough, just strong enough”! I put 50 hours on the ship and then donated it to The SW Soaring Museum.
RIP old friend,
JJ
  #16  
Old April 20th 19, 06:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 104
Default Taurus glider for sale

If you need more proof such a company doesn't understand the ways of their ideal buyer...they have airplanes named "Sinus" and "Virus." Think they're taking pre orders for the anus yet? How does one even market something called a virus?
  #17  
Old April 20th 19, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 76
Default Taurus glider for sale

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 6:59:15 PM UTC+2, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
I was hoping JJ would post up about his fire damage repairs.

Right now at the HP shop we're doing a skunky project involving high-temperature epoxy systems. As part of it, we did some test on more pedestrian epoxies of the sort typically used in gliders. They appear to demonstrate that you can get them well above Tg and they'll still recover full strength when they cool down. Of course, how far above Tg you can safely get is hard to quantify.

...They are shocked that it has not been destroyed...


A corporate entity based in a former Soviet republic is surprised that airworthiness authorities did not seize and destroy the personal property of a private citizen?

Shocked, I tell you, Shocked!

(Bogie never did say "Play it again, Sam.")

--Bob K.


Slovenia has never been a Soviet Republic. Check your history.
  #18  
Old April 20th 19, 11:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 218
Default Taurus glider for sale

At 05:39 20 April 2019, Echo wrote:
If you need more proof such a company doesn't understand the ways

of their
ideal buyer...they have airplanes named "Sinus" and "Virus." Think

they're
taking pre orders for the anus yet? How does one even market

something
called a virus?


They seem to pretty successful- I think probably one of the most
successful and innovative in their field - I guess they are not as
ignorant as yourself.

  #19  
Old April 20th 19, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 104
Default Taurus glider for sale

Perhaps you haven't flown it.

I guess for some people it's an ideal platform to dabble in two sides of aviation. I wasn't a fan personally.

I didn't say they didn't sell any; simply that I think I would have marketed it differently.
  #20  
Old April 21st 19, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 733
Default Taurus glider for sale

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 7:10:14 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I bought a G-103 that had been in a hangar fire in Georgia, Peach State Club. We needed a left wing and the photos showed what looked like a useable left wing on a fuselage with canopies that had been hot enough to melt the canopies. Both canopied draped down like a tarp, but it was the new shape of the plexiglass! The outer skin of the left wing top was blistered and had to be replaced, but the spar caps were undamaged. I figured the wing hadn’t been in 350 degree environment long enough to affect the more dense spar cap. We proof-loaded the wing and it took 5.3 G’s with flying colors! That was some 25 years ago and that ship is still flying today!
Just a little data point about how much heat a fiberglass structure can take,
JJ


There is a reason why fiberglass gliders are painted white: they can't withstand high temperatures. There is a critical temperature called the "glass transition temperature" which is where the plastic starts transitioning from a solid into a liquid. A typical glass transition temp for fiberglass is 100C, well below the temps seen in that hanger fire. The fact that they canopy melted demonstrates that the temp was that high for some period of time..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_transition
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pipistrel Taurus: Club Glider? Phil Chidekel Soaring 3 February 29th 16 05:05 AM
Glider equipment for sale Roger Fowler[_3_] Soaring 0 August 2nd 14 06:05 PM
GLIDER 4 SALE BobD Soaring 0 March 16th 14 09:45 PM
Glider for Sale 5 ugly Soaring 1 December 8th 13 01:57 AM
Taurus Glider Ready for Flight Tests Michael Coates Soaring 5 April 5th 04 04:05 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.