Group Activity

Old September 22nd 11, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

Default Group Activity

"Harry K" wrote in message

There was a time about a year ago IIRC when usenet forums seemed to
just drop dead. rec.autos.driving used to be a very active forum. It
went from active to dead in about a week, just as this forum did at
about the same time. Other forums not so much but stills show a
decline.

People using other media now?

Harry K

_________________

Harry,

I think you may have broken the code. Take for example Bob Kuykendall's
HP-24 project. He use to update his progress regularly on his website
(http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24/) As you can see, there was a seven month
laps between updates. However, I've been following his progress on
Facebook.
(http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/HP-...t/200931354951) and
Brad's page. (http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...0000118564546).

Most likely what is occurring with the HP-24 is being replicated with other
projects. I know it is even true on my website. (http://www.soaridaho.com)
It seems that it is a lot easier to add pictures to a Facebook album
(http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0588508&type=1)
than update a webpage.

The problem with Facebook is that by its' nature posting are limited to whom
you have defined as "friends".

Wayne

Old September 22nd 11, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
vaughn[_3_]

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message
m...

People using other media now?

There are actually multiple reasons, not the least of which was ISP's such as
AOL and WorldNet shutting down Usenet access to their customers. This happened
about the same time that Google opened the door to spammers, and then looked the
other way as the groups became flooded with spam.

Vaughn

Old September 23rd 11, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan Thomas

On Sep 21, 11:14 am, Richard wrote:

True enough, but this was, and could still be a viable forum.

No, not as long as the insulting flamers have access to it. Lack of
moderation allows a few nasty folks to destroy a group, and the decent
people go to homebuiltairplanes.com

Dan
Old September 23rd 11, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

Dan,

All the flames wars is the reason I left the list. At the time it seemed
that you couldn't ask a question of any kind without being called an idiot.
I came back a few weeks ago to see if the behavior still exists. What I
found was inactivity.

Wayne
HP-14 N990
http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F

Old September 23rd 11, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Jeff R." wrote

Thanks Jim.
Its a well-trodden path, with enthusiastic proponents on both sides.

A- Well there you go. Since this site has been inactive, I had not gone
elsewhere to see this discussed

Slats seem to work great within a very narrow window, but with weight, drag,
complexity and cost penalties.
VGs seem (!) to do almost as well with little downside.
It difficult to find a definitive answer. Each side seems too committed to
their solution to be impartial.

Sigghhh.
I guess I keep looking for builders who've done it.

Interesting. What does Chris have to say on the subject? (as if I need to
askg.)

Let us know what you find out.

-- Jim in NC

Old September 23rd 11, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Wayne Paul" wrote

No, not as long as the insulting flamers have access to it. Lack
moderation allows a few nasty folks to destroy a group, and the decent
people go to homebuiltairplanes.com

Dan
A- How about a few of us start using this and see what happens? Perhaps
some of the trolls have lost their easy access, and will leave us alone.

-- Jim in NC

Old September 23rd 11, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
vaughn[_3_]

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

No, not as long as the insulting flamers have access to it. Lack
moderation allows a few nasty folks to destroy a group,

Flamers & trolls are basically attention seekers. Deny them the attention they
seek, and they will eventually dry up and blow away. The problem (OK, the
near-impossibility) is getting the entire group to "agree to ignore".

Vaughn

Old September 24th 11, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

"Jeff R." wrote:
If you were interested in building a Zenith CH-701 (or similar), would
you go for the leading edge wing slats(as designed), or dispense with
them and use vortex generators instead?

I believe that the original Savannah Aircraft kit was first released with
leading slats, then they changed it to vortex generators because the latter
provided all the benefits of the former with no loss of STOL performance.
Here is an interesting web page describing tests done on Savannah:

http://www.stolspeed.com/slats-v-s-vgs

But the above is on a web site that appears to sell VGs. Here is what Chris
Heintz thinks of VGs vs slats for his 701:

http://www.zenithair.com/stolch801/d...vg-design.html
Old September 24th 11, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jeff R.[_3_]

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message ...
"Jeff R." wrote:
If you were interested in building a Zenith CH-701 (or similar), would
you go for the leading edge wing slats(as designed), or dispense with
them and use vortex generators instead?

I believe that the original Savannah Aircraft kit was first released with
leading slats, then they changed it to vortex generators because the latter
provided all the benefits of the former with no loss of STOL performance.
Here is an interesting web page describing tests done on Savannah:

http://www.stolspeed.com/slats-v-s-vgs

But the above is on a web site that appears to sell VGs. Here is what Chris
Heintz thinks of VGs vs slats for his 701:

http://www.zenithair.com/stolch801/d...vg-design.html

....and that exactly demonstrates my dilemma.

Neither is impartial.
Who is right?

I'm inclined to trust Chris Heintz, as the engineer/innovator, but at the same time he has (had - he's retired) a significant financial attachment to L.E. slats. Not just on the 701, but right up to th 850.

On balance, I'm inclined to favour VGs (Piper Cub didn't need slats), but I'm put off Savannah just simply because of their unethical poaching of CH's designs.

I plan to cut the first stringers in about a year from now.

Maybe I could build retractable slats?

(joke)

--
Jeff R.