FES Possibilty

Old November 5th 19, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default FES Possibilty

On 11/4/19 10:21 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 11:09:17 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
It is worth mentioning that the 27 and 29 are capable of self launching with FES.
See
https://www.facebook.com/SeanTiff7T/...3134757352480/
So for about 30K you can convert your 27/29 to a pretty reliable electric motorglider.
I am considering this option but probably not this winter.
If any shipment from US (in particular west coast) to Europe is planned I would like to know about it.

Ramy

Ship shown is a special version with additional battery cells to provide higher voltage, thus more power. Also, I think it has a different prop. I would assume this is an option that can be ordered, but the question should be asked. Note that, for 27 and 29, it is only suitable for paved sites due to low prop clearance. One tail wheel bounce on a rough field and the prop is broken. I watched FP launch and it got out quite well.
FWIW
UH
UH

Lack of meaningful prop clearance forces two-point takeoffs, as is
clearly visible in video. Not a real smart way of flying.

Old November 5th 19, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 12:08:37 PM UTC-8, kinsell wrote:

Lack of meaningful prop clearance forces two-point takeoffs, as is
clearly visible in video. Not a real smart way of flying.

Meh. We just measured the HP-24FES and it looks like we'll have about 8.5" of prop clearance in 2-point attitude. That's with the slightly taller undercarriage we built especially for this model. It's not a lot, but probably adequate when used judiciously.

A winch launch, or even an auto tow to 500', would address the prop clearance issue and also pump a bunch of kinetic and potential energy into the glider so you have that much left in the FES batteries.

--Bob K.
Old November 6th 19, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Obviously, a CG hook would be necessary for an auto or winch tow. Initial acceleration could bring the tow rope off the ground and reduce prop to rope clearance. if the tail comes up, bad things could happen.
Old November 6th 19, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

OOPS! Forgot that little point. Thanks.

Old November 6th 19, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Any chance this mod. could be done to a -24?
Old November 6th 19, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 3:59:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Any chance this mod. could be done to a -24?

No reason why it couldn't. Actually a little easier due to it being a little more open behind the gear. Could be done on '24 or '28.
UH
Old November 7th 19, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S9

Would only the fuselage be required in shipment?
Old November 9th 19, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sergio Elia

On Wednesday, 6 November 2019 21:59:21 UTC+1, wrote:
Any chance this mod. could be done to a -24?

It's probably not worth to. Better sell the ASW24 and buy a newer glider equipped with FES. Anyway, better keep on flying the pure glider and do not change sport :-)