Amazon Smile and the SSA - WHAT?

Old December 18th 19, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Amazon Smile and the SSA - WHAT?

I just got a report from the Amazon Smile folks that says that to date those that have signed up for a portion of their Amazon purchases to be donated to the SSA made a total contribution of $2025.23 (no idea if that is yearly or forever). The total could have been higher but something is surely better than nothing.

What I found a bit crazy is that Amazon tells me that my personal contribution to the SSA is a whopping 6.1% of the total amount! Really? Are there so few SSA members (15 out of ~10,000 members?) using this painless and zero expense way to contribute to the organization that supports the sport that we all love?

Many SSA members are contributing via Amazon to a different non-for-profit organization which is more aligned to their charitable desires. Great! Contributing to others is a wonderful thing.

But if you don't use, or know about, the Amazon Smile contribution system then I urge you to check it out at http://smile.amazon.com/. Please support whomever you please. Maybe the SSA is a choice for you too.

Thanks and Merry Christmas
John DeRosa (OHM)
Old December 18th 19, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I didn't know the SSA was an option. If my wife doesn't already have a charity selected I'll set up her account. At 6% of the purchases she should be able to support the National team at the next world contest.
Old December 18th 19, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobWa43

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 4:33:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I didn't know the SSA was an option. If my wife doesn't already have a charity selected I'll set up her account. At 6% of the purchases she should be able to support the National team at the next world contest.

Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to your designated charity, not 6%. In my case I have designated my local soaring club, they need the money even more than SSA.
Old December 18th 19, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

I got the same notice, it was $123.49 for the last quarter and $2025.23
total. Seemed like pathetic numbers.

Old December 19th 19, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Family (was also director, another is a HoF and other things....I believe we are all SSA life members) told me about "smile.Amazon..." with SSA as a recipient a few years ago.
I now use that.....

I think the listed total is about $0.5 low.....but still low and total over lifetime....

Yes, Amazon allows using "smile.Amazon
Old December 19th 19, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

First I heard about this program; sounds like a great idea and thanks for bringing it up.
Old December 19th 19, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 8:06:45 PM UTC-5, Duster wrote:
First I heard about this program; sounds like a great idea and thanks for bringing it up.

That program has been going on for a number of years by now. I am surprised that the SSA doesn't lobby their members to sign up for this FREE source of income. I don't buy much on Amazon but still generated some $$ for them. Get your family members to sign up, too.

Uli
'AS'
Old December 19th 19, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 2:07:20 PM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

I don't purchase from Amazon that often, but I'll try and remember to use the link when I do. Thanks.
Old December 19th 19, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Sorry folks, my understanding of what I read from my Amazon Smile email was flawed.

I thought that the $123.49 was MY SOLE CONTRIBUTION. I see now that this was just this quarter's contributions from ALL subscribers. Mea culpa. I am embarrassed to say that my total contribution seems to have been three cents ($0.03). As Kurt Russell said in "Tombstone", "I didn't even make a dent...".

But what does the $2025.23 represent? The lifetime amount of monies donated by Amazon to the SSA since the inception of the program? I'll have to work harder. Does Amazon sell ASW-29's?

Anyway, a good "free" program that we should all use no matter what charity you choose.

- John DeRosa (OHM)
Old December 19th 19, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PGS

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 4:07:20 PM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

There are many worthy causes that you can support through Amazon smile, Franconia Soaring Foundation for example. FSF recently purchased the Franconia Airport and is in need of donations to help pay loans and improve airport infrastructure.