More electronic gadgets = lower IQ?

Old October 22nd 14, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Default More electronic gadgets = lower IQ?

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:19:21 PM UTC-4, Cookie wrote:
If we take this electronic gadget stuff to the logical conclusion...we will let the computer fly the glider and the "pilot" will just sit there....

They tell us that "driverless automobiles" are just a few years off.

Driverless cars will save 30,000 lives per year in the USA...accidents will be nearly non existent...they will reduce fuel usage tremendously....they will allow more cars on a highway at a given time, yet reduce traffic jams. You will always be on time, nobody will get any traffic tickets nor will they have to pay any fines.

Computer cars will require nearly zero skill and intelligence to operate!

So if you are looking for safety and efficiency in glider flying...eliminate the weak link...the pilot!

Cookie

What could go wrong?

T8

Old October 22nd 14, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

In my brand new Tetra-15 I am running an ancient Ilec SB-8 that I absolutely love, a Tru-trak and an outdated HP-310 running the latest version of LK8000. the rest are just the usual round instruments.

That works well for me, but I'm not a cutting edge competition pilot.

Brad
Old October 22nd 14, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

After complaints from those who normally fly without much of a panel, in July 2013 I came up with a contest that ran for 9 days (2 weekends plus M-F) and only allowed one electronic instrument: a digital turnpoint camera.
The turnpoint photographs would be evaluated and I'd use SeeYou to decide the winner, handicapping the gliders.
NO radio, electric vario, moving map, transponder, FLARM, SPOT (etc) or even cell phone use until the pilot and crew were reunited. Batteries were allowed to be carried as ballast only. Communication for a landout had to be by land line phones, both pilot and crew.
There was a prize, worth about $500.00.
Nobody entered.
I invite others to try the same.
Jim
Old October 22nd 14, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

With the complexity of airspace nowadays a moving map is a must-have. At least in certain parts of Europe. It's not a matter of being dumb. Cross country flight with just a compass and a paper map is not possible anymore.
Old October 22nd 14, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

$500..!!!

I'm "in"...When's the next contest? Why not run it at Wurtsboro or Blairstown?

Cookie

Old October 22nd 14, 09:32 PM
OregonGliderPilot OregonGliderPilot is offline
Junior Member

I'm happy with my old SDI C4 an (I think) even older Borgelt B.40. Both
make nice noises of the appropriate type and the B.40 has a really fast
response.

Conversely, a friend recently installed an S.3 and is less than delighted
with its sounds and especially with its lack of a silent band between
zero and -1 kts.

I was going to ask what on earth is a SDI C4 but then I thought that I really don't care. Fly with what works for you and floats your boat I say, expressing sympathy with the original posters point of view....
Old October 22nd 14, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:04:06 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
After complaints from those who normally fly without much of a panel, in July 2013 I came up with a contest that ran for 9 days (2 weekends plus M-F) and only allowed one electronic instrument: a digital turnpoint camera.
The turnpoint photographs would be evaluated and I'd use SeeYou to decide the winner, handicapping the gliders.
NO radio, electric vario, moving map, transponder, FLARM, SPOT (etc) or even cell phone use until the pilot and crew were reunited. Batteries were allowed to be carried as ballast only. Communication for a landout had to be by land line phones, both pilot and crew.
There was a prize, worth about $500.00.
Nobody entered.
I invite others to try the same.
Jim

Personally I always liked the red and green pellet vario. It made no noise so it let you enjoy the silence of the 2-33.
Old October 22nd 14, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Personally I always liked the red and green pellet vario. It made no noise so it let you enjoy the silence of the 2-33.

"...silence of the 2-33"? Only time I have know a 2-33 to be silent is when it is sitting in the hangar!

Come to Kansas, Jim. I will let you fly my Ka-8.
Old October 22nd 14, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:04:06 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
After complaints from those who normally fly without much of a panel, in July 2013 I came up with a contest that ran for 9 days (2 weekends plus M-F) and only allowed one electronic instrument: a digital turnpoint camera.
The turnpoint photographs would be evaluated and I'd use SeeYou to decide the winner, handicapping the gliders.
NO radio, electric vario, moving map, transponder, FLARM, SPOT (etc) or even cell phone use until the pilot and crew were reunited. Batteries were allowed to be carried as ballast only. Communication for a landout had to be by land line phones, both pilot and crew.
There was a prize, worth about $500.00.
Nobody entered.
I invite others to try the same.
Jim

So your suggestion is to throw away all the modern safety improvements? I wouldn't enter either - it's a stupid - and dangerous - idea!

There is really only a limited set of information that a glider pilot needs - the trick is to display it in the most effective way, and have it available when needed. Having a bunch of fancy displays doesn't mean you have to look at them or use them all the time, but when you do need the info, it should be readily available.

Kirk
66
Old October 22nd 14, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:08:15 PM UTC-5, Craig R. wrote:
So, the obvious solution is to dump all the spendy computers, fly with basic instruments, enjoy the scenery, and preserve the gray matter!
Fly safe and have fun.

The article refers to multitasking. When I fly my glider, my task is flying my glider - using all the information I need (when needed) from my SN10, Oudie, and Flarm, along with the ASI, altimeter, etc.

That isn't multitasking.

Now, if I was gaggling during a contest, while texting on my phone, and simultaneously watching a youtube video on my PNA on how to do brain surgery - - THAT WOULD BE MULTITASKING!

Kirk
66