Ventus rigging advice, please?

Old June 25th 19, 09:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John McLaughlin

Default Ventus rigging advice, please?

I've recently started flying a Ventus2. I can't rig the thing without a lot
of
struggle. The trouble is, there's a cover above the spars and you can't see

anything once the first wing is in.

I struggle to get the second wing to fit, never knowing whether it's a bit
too
high or a bit too low. The ground is uneven and sloping, which doesn't
help.

I hope some Ventus owners can give me some tips, please?

Old June 25th 19, 10:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Set the flaps to 0.
Set the airbrake lever 1 inch towards open position.
Close the water valve lever.

Prepare a wing support for the first wing.
Mount first wing. When in, standing at the wing root, lean over the fuselage and feel that the spar is in the horisontal middle of the hole. Fixate the wing stand and recheck that the first wing spar is at the rigt oplace, middle of the hole.
Mount second wing. Here it's up to the tip holder to feel the right height.

A little practice, and it's no hazzle.
Some Schempp Hirths are too tight Fit though.

Reg Per, v2ct
Old June 25th 19, 11:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan Walker

At 08:53 25 June 2019, John McLaughlin wrote:
I've recently started flying a Ventus2. I can't rig the thing without a

lo
of
struggle. The trouble is, there's a cover above the spars and you can't

se

anything once the first wing is in.

I struggle to get the second wing to fit, never knowing whether it's a bi
too
high or a bit too low. The ground is uneven and sloping, which doesn'
help.

I hope some Ventus owners can give me some tips, please?

Fit the left hand wing first (front stub spar) and support with wing stand.
Make sure that the wing is fully flush with the fus (requires water ballast
shut, flaps neutral and airbrakes unlocked). Insert the main pin into the
spar by about 1 inch and put wing tape on the top of the fus/wing joint (to
stop the wing getting pushed out when fitting the second wing). Adjust the
wing support or twist the fus in the belly dolly to make sure the wing stub
is located vertically central within the right hand side of the fus. This
is the important bit for simple rigging.
Now fit the right hand wing which should just push straight in with just a
small vertical adjustment. I NEVER need to look in the fus to get the right
hand wing height correct, the lead on the wing pins does that as long as
you are in the ballpark.

Rigging the Ventus is just like a Discus and around the easiest of the
modern.

Hope this helps.

Old June 25th 19, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun McLaughlin[_2_]

At 09:17 25 June 2019, wrote:
Set the flaps to 0.
Set the airbrake lever 1 inch towards open position.
Close the water valve lever.

Prepare a wing support for the first wing.
Mount first wing. When in, standing at the wing root, lean over the
fuselage and feel that the spar is in the horisontal middle of the hole.
Fixate the wing stand and recheck that the first wing spar is at the rigt
oplace, middle of the hole.
Mount second wing. Here it's up to the tip holder to feel the right

height.

A little practice, and it's no hazzle.
Some Schempp Hirths are too tight Fit though.

Reg Per, v2ct

I have recently been flying (and rigging!) a V2a. In addition to the points
above, the Owner had a good tip (which can be applied to many types), which
is to apply the tape immediately on the upper surface of the 1st wing, to
keep it from being pushed out. (I used to part insert the main pin on my
old Cirrus for a similar effect, as the hole was offset) This is more of an
issue with SH gliders as the wing spar has a spigot which goes into the
other wing, not just the fuselage.

Also ensure the bearings on the fuselage are lined up before rigging. I
find sometimes a little lift of the leading/trailing edge to help the
spigot into the bearing is needed.

If you have a hydraulic ramp (Cobra etc), it may make it easier if you
leave the main wheel up and lower the fuselage as low as possible before
inserting the wings. This means the wing tip holder has an easier job as
they don't need to lift the tip higher.

Regards,
Shaun

Old June 25th 19, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Cavagnaro

I was told and its now my practice to set the flap setting to 6.

I have a Ventus B

DC
Old June 25th 19, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Reverse the process. Put the right wing on first. Tape the top. Make sure the stub is centered in the spar box. Then put the left wing in. Now it is easy to see relationship between the spigot and its target hole in the right wing. Up down fore or aft, easy to see.

Bob
BV
Ventus C but it is the same rigging system.

Old June 25th 19, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Also, as a previous owner of both a Discus 2 and Ventus 2bx, be aware of temperature issues. Coming from Germany, rigging is easier at European temperatures (15 to 20 C) than Southwest US temperatures (30 to 40 C). Rig in the coolest temperatures you can and out of the midday sun.

I also concur that riffing the right wing first is a little easier as you have better cockpit access when mating the left wing.

Mike
Old June 26th 19, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 10:53:40 -0700 (PDT), Mike the Strike
wrote:

Also, as a previous owner of both a Discus 2 and Ventus 2bx, be aware of temperature issues.
Coming from Germany, rigging is easier at European temperatures (15 to 20 C) than Southwest
US temperatures (30 to 40 C). Rig in the coolest temperatures you can and out of the midday sun.

I also concur that riffing the right wing first is a little easier as you have better cockpit access when

mating the left wing.

Mike

20 years rigging a Ventus cT, and I also put the right wing in first,
mainly for the reason stated above, reduce the jumping back and forth
during rigging. I do not find it necessary to tape the 1st wing.

Bob
Old June 26th 19, 09:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John McLaughlin

Thanks very much for the advice, everyone. I'll try all of it, but I'm
especially keen to see how 'right wing first' goes.

Old June 26th 19, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_3_]

At 08:48 26 June 2019, John McLaughlin wrote:
Thanks very much for the advice, everyone. I'll try all of it, but I'm
especially keen to see how 'right wing first' goes.

I can only comment re Discus. Ensuring brakes are unlocked has been
mentioned, but sometimes they will re-lock when first wing is put on, so
unlock again if necessary.
Fix stick central, I use seat back to hold in place.
I assume left wing first arose because of partly inserting locking pin,
with the handle stopping it pushing out again.
Dave

ventus rigging visual clues [email protected] Soaring 13 May 3rd 18 12:08 PM
Ka-6 Rigging vontresc Soaring 19 August 14th 08 04:55 AM
Ventus C rigging James Hamilton Soaring 8 July 7th 06 08:30 AM
Ventus C rigging James Hamilton Soaring 0 July 6th 06 07:41 PM
ski rigging Drew Dalgleish Home Built 3 December 3rd 03 05:16 AM