Soverignty Protection Fighter

Old July 19th 04, 11:56 PM
Nele VII

Emmanuel Gustin wrote in message ...
"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message

Can someone comment on the best aircraft for this job?

Austria used the J 35O, armed only with cannon during
a period because post-WWII treaties banned Austria from
owning missiles. The goal of interceptions was described
by pilots as allowing the government to send in a diplomatic
protest...

Today the best answer would probably be a F-16A without
updates, from existing USAF stocks in the desert. Not much
value left to it as a modern combat aircraft, but a good
performer and spares should not be a problem.

--
Emmanuel Gustin
Emmanuel dot Gustin @t skynet dot be

I agree, but give it at least a Sparrow provision. It does not have to be
wired but it would appear more impressive with it ))) Without medium range
missiles, you would be in the situation that Pakistanis are with their F-16A
vs BVR-equipped Mig-29-12B, Mig-21/93s and Su-30MKK (possibility to be
chased off of station with a lock-on). So at least Sparrow should be
considered ("I have it too, baby!" ) Or put some kind of CW illuminator.
Or remove the RWR.

Kfir C7 or C9 would be nice, too, especially with the Derby, but be careful
with possible US embargo since you will not get any more J-79s and you will
be forced to ask Russians to get samples of Lylka AL-21s (GE J79-8 copies).
Mirage F-1 is also fine, tried and tested in similar conditions (Greece vs.
Turkey aerial "who's is bigger" competition) and not overly expensive.

"Indian" MiG-21/93 got quite a claws with new radar, cockpit and R-77,
albeit not having substantial range (and -21 is not maintenance-dependent,
it is overhaul-dependent). "They" might be impressed to see such a small
plane is hauling four R-73s on dual launchers, two R-77s and a centerline
drop tank (yeah, I know. "-Drop- tank? You mean, it can be removed?")
Malesian "custom" made MiG-29SE's come to my mind, too. As MAPO-MIG goes,
you will be able to order MiG-29s with leather-covered K-36DM ejection seat,
widescreen TV and the refrigerator. They still don't make convertibles, but
you can get them with folding wings.

If you're a ignorant dictator, have a money to waste, go Saddam's way and
buy MiG-25PD together wit R-40's and drop tanks (a lots of them! ) from
some of numerous Russian mothball storages. As you are of grandiose and
paranoid type, you will certainly be impressed with its size, masculine
lines and humongous missiles compensating for your small pecker. And you
will be thrilled when see it in afterburner. Heck, you will make their
pilots your pets anyway, they might even do something in the case of the
war!

If you are of nostalgia type and have an urge to make things right, go buy
some Lightnings, but leave at least a 5 year timeframe so your mechanics can
assemble it after GB ravaged them like they belonged to their worst enemies.
Don't forget tankers for aerial refueling! Yeah, no BVR, but you won't
probably know you are targeted either! And they are better choice then
Austria's Drakkens since Drakkens-they look so-well, too plain. No charm.

Which brins us to gentleman/romantic type. F-106 is the best choice I can
remember and some are still at AMARC. I don't know, but those things have
always reminded me to old well-refurbished Cadillacs. Heck, you might get a
pilots with them (no need to call, they will come on their own, mechanics
will follow )) . The only problem is that you will probably have -the-
oldest fleet in the world in every manner. Italian "Intereceptorosaurus'"
fleet included.

Nele

NULLA ROSA SINE SPINA