This is what the D-Day was for...

Old May 31st 04, 08:18 PM
HECTOP

Default This is what the D-Day was for...

I know this is gonna start a riot, but...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-dday31.html

France pledges to shoot down private pilots in D-Day air space
May 31, 2004
BY BEN FENTON [Ad]

ARROMANCHES, France -- Private pilots who stray into Normandy air space
during the 60th anniversary of D-Day next weekend will be shot down, French
officials said Sunday.
With at least 16 heads of state, including President Bush, attending the
ceremonies, organizers are guarding particularly against an al-Qaida attack
from the air.
It is one of the biggest security exercises in Europe since the war.
An enormous network of radar equipment has been stretched between Deauville
and Cherbourg, with early warning aircraft already in the skies.
The aircraft will be joined this week by small, remote-controlled drones.
Advanced Crotale anti-aircraft missiles have been primed, and two squadrons
of Mirage 2000 fighters are stationed nearby.
The French ministry of defense has spared no expense. It has established a
temporary air base at Carpiquet, outside the city of Caen, as the hub of its
defenses.
There, more than 800 soldiers will maintain round-the-clock surveillance,
backed by more than 50 military helicopters.
A spokesman for the 120-acre camp said: "The dangers are multiple, from a
hijacked airliner being crashed into the stands at the main international
ceremony at Arromanches to a tiny bomb being detonated remotely.
"But we are stretching an impenetrable fabric of protection above Normandy."
At sea, fishermen and pleasure craft have been banned from the Seine Bay
that stretches along the beaches code named Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and
Sword on June 6, 1944.
A French carrier, Charles de Gaulle, and an American carrier, George
Washington, will be patrolling the bay, which will also be swept for mines.
On land, more than 9,000 French troops are arriving this week, supplementing
the 6,300 gendarmes and 2,300 police officers already on duty.
Arromanches' 534 residents have been told that they must either stay indoors
throughout next Sunday or leave the area.

Daily Telegraph

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Old May 31st 04, 08:28 PM
Shiver Me Timbers

HECTOP wrote:

I know this is gonna start a riot, but...

Why would it start a riot.

Sad reflection perhaps, but prudent, logical, common sense
in todays political climate.
Old May 31st 04, 08:29 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "HECTOP" said:
I know this is gonna start a riot, but...

Why? Do you think the protection around a gathering of 16 heads of state
in the US would be any less onerous and threatening? I'm willing to bet
there will be more protection around the two party conventions this summer.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
They thought that faxing one's butt was bad - just wait till they hear
Old May 31st 04, 08:33 PM
HECTOP

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "HECTOP" said:
I know this is gonna start a riot, but...

Why?

Because this is rec.aviation.piloting after all! Debby! Deeeeebbbbyyyyyy!!!

Do you think the protection around a gathering of 16 heads of state

Some of them can hardly be called _heads_....

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Old May 31st 04, 08:38 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "HECTOP" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
Do you think the protection around a gathering of 16 heads of state

Some of them can hardly be called _heads_....

Considering a "head" has a brain in it, I'd have to agree. But probably
not about the same "heads" you would think that about.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
Old May 31st 04, 09:13 PM
Duck Dog

On Mon, 31 May 2004 15:33:45 -0400, "HECTOP"
wrote:

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "HECTOP" said:
I know this is gonna start a riot, but...

Why?

Because this is rec.aviation.piloting after all! Debby! Deeeeebbbbyyyyyy!!!

Do you think the protection around a gathering of 16 heads of state

Some of them can hardly be called _heads_....

There are several slang definitions of "head" that could apply, tho'.

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Old May 31st 04, 09:13 PM
G Farris

Well, well, well . . .
Leave it to the newspapers and television networks to inform us of such
things.

The truth is, to date, there is not a single NOTAM, AIP SUP (as they call them
here) or TFR posted for that day. I am holding my breath, but as the day
approaches there has not been a single GA restriction posted through official
channels related to those events. There is one in effect close to there
related to the Le Mans automobile race, and another for a military exercise,
but as a full subscriber to all the publications, as far as I am concerned I
can hire a 172 and fly right over them.

Not that I would think of doing so, but there are official channels in
existance to notify pilots of temporary restrictions. As long as these have
not been used, we can only assume either the newspaper report cited here is in
error, or the civil aviation authority has been seriously remiss in their duty
to inform pilots. You cannot expect pilots to glean vital flight information
just by reading the evening paper.

G Faris

Old May 31st 04, 09:17 PM
HECTOP

"Duck Dog" wrote in message
There are several slang definitions of "head" that could apply, tho'.

Lou Reed?

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Old May 31st 04, 09:35 PM
G Farris

CORRECTION :
After posting the previous message, I went back to double-check my facts.
I should have done it before, because I was wrong. There is a very specific
NOTAM, published 6 May that details several Temporary Restricted Areas and a
few Temporary Prohibited Areas. There are rules for avoidance, and even rules
for interception if one is found in the wrong place at the wrong time. It
doesn't say they'll shoot you down, of course, but it does strongly imply that
it's in your interest to comply meticulously. They also say infractions could
be fined 15000 to 45000 Euros and up to six months in jail, plus impounding
the aircraft.

I have mentioned to several pilots over the past days that I was surprised not
to see any NOTAMS for those days - They must have been shaking their heads
thinking "What's this poor fool on about . . ."

Anyway, my apologies for the incorrect information.
For any who want to see the NOTAM, it's here :
http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv....2004_45_FR.pdf

G Faris

Old May 31st 04, 09:39 PM
John Gaquin

"HECTOP" wrote in message news:KrLuc.23209

France pledges to shoot down private pilots in D-Day air space

I'll have to do some checking. Would this be the first time the French
have managed to shoot down any plane, anywhere? :-)