What does it cost to own an airplane?

Old July 2nd 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default What does it cost to own an airplane?

In article
,
BobR wrote:

On Jun 30, 9:13*pm, "Steve" wrote:
"Ross" wrote in message

I agree, you have to fly about 140 hours a year to justify a plane and a
financial adviser will suggest that you rent rather than buy. But, there
is something about going out to your hangar, opening the door, and seeing
your airplane. No body else has flown it, left it messy or you cannot get
on the schedule on that first nice day in three weeks because everyone has
beat you to it.
Priceless....

It certainly is. Maybe someday, perhaps after I retire, I can justify it. Or
rationalize it, anyway :-)

But a club like I have found, or better yet a small partnership can be the
next best thing. Availability was the main thing I checked before
considering this club. So far, it has not been a problem. We can schedule
out as far as we want, and are allowed a 2 week trip once a year, and we can
go to Mexico.

I was a member of one of the best and oldest clubs around. We have
three very find aircraft and they were well maintained. The prices
were very resonable for both the monthly dues and for flying costs.
There was absolutely no way that I could cost justify owning my own
plane based on the comparison to the club costs.

On the other hand, the flying club was at times the most frustrating
thing that I have ever been involved with. I am a weekend flyer who
doesn't have time because of work to fly during the week. I want the
planes on the weekend or for vacations. I also don't want to have to
plan every flight weeks in advance but would rather be able to go
flying when I feel like it. If I wake up on Sat. morning and the
weather looks great for the weekend, I tell my wife to pack an
overnight bag and we GO! The flying club NEVER afforded me that
opportunity. We had to schedule in advance and hope the weather would
cooperate. If we waited too late, the planes would be booked and more
often than not sit in the damn hangar the entire weekend without
anyone flying them. I lost count of the number of times I would check
the schedule and find all three planes booked only to go out to the
airport and find one or all of them setting in the hangar cold and
unflown.

So what is the best option? It all depends on your type of flying.
If you want availability on a moments notice without having to be
concerned with getting it back in time for someone else who had it
booked but never shows, go with the club. The partnership can be a
lot more attractive for scheduling purposes but will cost you more and
you have to be cautious about who you partner with. Ownership will
put ALL the costs on you and those can be expensive depending on many
different circumstances.

Guess this might be one for the old "If you have to ask...you can't
afford it." type of answer. Some sample expenses are hangar rent
$175-350 per month depending on location. Insurance $1200-$unlimited
depending on aircraft and amount of coverage. Annual inspections will
depend on amount of work being performed but will start at $1500 and
go up from there. Those are just the fixed type costs and don't
include variables such a fuel and routine maintenance costs.

BobR,

That wasn't the A&E Flying Club in Hawthorne, CA, was it? I was a member
there in 1964-64. They had super rates -- and wet tach time -- no damn
Hobbs!

At that time a Beech B-35 Bonanza was $9/hr, F-35 $10, Meyers 200A $12,
C172 $7. Remember -- that was 45 years ago, but STILL super rates.

The club had scheduled, supervised maintenance, which all members were
required to help perform.

Old July 2nd 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank Stutzman[_3_]

A sophistry I am currently using to justify owning the plane is to not
figure in the costs of the hangar in the airplane costs.

The hangar is just a building that I store things, one of which is the plane.
If I had to pay the going rate in my area for self-storage for my hangar
then I would have to pay close to $4,000 a month (figured on a square foot
basis). Now I happen to outright own my hangar (I do have to rent the ground
for ~$300 a year), but if I was paying a 15 year mortgage on it I'd be
paying something like $500 a month on the note. Soooo, by owning a hangar
I am saving something like $3,500 a month.

Please don't bother to point out the fallicies here. This is my accounting
and it doesn't seem that much more dubious than what I see a lot of hedge
fund managers doing.

Besides, this is America. It doesn't matter how much you pay, what's
important is how much you save.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old July 2nd 09, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BobR

On Jul 2, 12:27*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

*BobR wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:13*pm, "Steve" wrote:
"Ross" wrote in message

[...]

Remove _'s *from email address to talk to me.- Hide quoted text -

Nope, it was the Southwest Flying Club out of Hooks Airport in Spring
Tx (Houston). By the way, I would recommend the club to ANYONE
interested in joining one of the better clubs around.