Soaring in China

Old September 20th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Ash

Default Soaring in China

I'm going to China for a few weeks in October and I thought it would be
nice to get in a little flying while I'm there. Unfortunately information
on the subject seems hard to find. I've found a couple of posts in this
group which didn't get much in the way of replies, and I found one article
talking about somebody visiting a soaring operation, but I haven't
actually found any concrete information as to where I might find one.

Does anyone know of any soaring operations in China, or even a good place
to look for such information? Thanks in advance for any pointers.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old September 20th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

One of the major obstacles to aviation sports making it into the
Olympics is that most Asian countries have no civil aviation. Very
unlikely to find soaring in any place like that. But good luck!

Old September 21st 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mal

wrote in message
oups.com...
One of the major obstacles to aviation sports making it into the
Olympics is that most Asian countries have no civil aviation. Very
unlikely to find soaring in any place like that. But good luck!

Some years back a group from Australia went to China and flew.

Old September 22nd 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
neil@avon=tech=solutions.co.nz

Mal wrote:

Some years back a group from Australia went to China and flew.

Mal,
Do you have a link or copy of the article they wrote? I've previously
read it but can't find it now.

I'm from NZ but currently located in Jurong, Jiangsu Province, PRC
(31°57'31"N, 119°9'56"E) for a year while my wife teaches English.
I'm keen to do some flying he if I can get some contacts & info.
I've sent a few emails, searched the internet but not come up with
anything concrete yet. I've heard anecdotes from a contact in Nanjing
that powered flying (training) might be available but I've no details
on this.

Michael,
I'll post any info that I find on this NG. What city/ies are you
visiting?

Cheers
Neil
--
Change equals to minus to reply.
http://www.avon-tech-solutions.co.nz/china_blog.html

Old September 22nd 06, 07:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hans

I know that some members of Segelfluggruppe Werdenfels went several
times to China for soaring. You can contact Segelfluggruppe Werdenfels
under . Ask for Juergen W., he
organized the trips.

Old September 22nd 06, 10:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mitch[_2_]

Hi Michael,

I'm based in Shanghai, have been here a couple of years, and as far as
I know, there's just one place in China where u can go gliding. I never
been there, it's about 3/400kms from Beijing but I cant find the link
of the website at the moment.

We are trying to change the situation here, but there's a matter of
airspace. I guess it gives a good idea of what could happen if we do
not lobby loud enough in Europe... Not nice.

If you ever drop by one of these days let me know, beware that the
first week of october is national holyday, hence everything we'll be
shut down, nationwide.

I'll mail you some more info as soon as i find them in my laptop..

Cheers

Michele

Michael Ash wrote:
wrote:

I'm from NZ but currently located in Jurong, Jiangsu Province, PRC
(31?57'31"N, 119?9'56"E) for a year while my wife teaches English.
I'm keen to do some flying he if I can get some contacts & info.
I've sent a few emails, searched the internet but not come up with
anything concrete yet. I've heard anecdotes from a contact in Nanjing
that powered flying (training) might be available but I've no details
on this.

Michael,
I'll post any info that I find on this NG. What city/ies are you
visiting?

I'll be spending most of my time in Beijing, although we're going to
Luoyang for at least a few days, which looks to be relatively close to
where you are if I haven't gotten my geography confused. I'd be willing to
travel some if the situation looked good, although just how far or how
good is something I haven't really figured out.

I'm a bit pessimistic about finding anything, and my time may be better
spent studying for the knowledge exam rather than flying, but it would be
a neat experience. I appreciate your offer to post what you find, and I'll
be sure to do the same.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software

Old September 22nd 06, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mitch[_2_]

I forgot, a PPL program is actually available in Shanghai, run by a
fully owned enterprise of China Eastern, the shanghai based airline.
The have new C172, but the rates are as high as in Europe.

They are based on the well know Longhua airfield, famous for having
been depicted in the Spielberg movie "The Empire of the Sun", from the
omonimous Ballard's autobiographical book. The city developped so much
in the recent past that now the airport is surrounded by building on
the four side and it's almost walking distance from Shanghai's Ikea..
It was once on the outskirts of the city.

Anybody wanting to know more, pls mail me.

I wonder how soaring over the smokes of the chemical plant right aside
the strip would be..

Michele

Old September 22nd 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Ash

hans wrote:
I know that some members of Segelfluggruppe Werdenfels went several
times to China for soaring. You can contact Segelfluggruppe Werdenfels
under . Ask for Juergen W., he
organized the trips.

Thanks for the tip. I've e-mailed them, and I'll post back with what I
find.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old September 22nd 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Ash

Mitch wrote:
Hi Michael,

I'm based in Shanghai, have been here a couple of years, and as far as
I know, there's just one place in China where u can go gliding. I never
been there, it's about 3/400kms from Beijing but I cant find the link
of the website at the moment.

We are trying to change the situation here, but there's a matter of
airspace. I guess it gives a good idea of what could happen if we do
not lobby loud enough in Europe... Not nice.

So it seems. I guess it's the logical result of combining an unelected
government with no pre-existing GA activity.

If you ever drop by one of these days let me know, beware that the
first week of october is national holyday, hence everything we'll be
shut down, nationwide.

So I'm told. I think I'm going to be busy with various family things that
week anyway. I don't think we'll make it to Shanghai this trip,
unfortunately. In any case, soaring in a chemical plant's exhaust
sounds... unhealthy.

I'll mail you some more info as soon as i find them in my laptop..

Thanks, I appreciate it.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software