Maintaining currency/proficiency after getting my Instrument rating

Old March 2nd 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr

Default Maintaining currency/proficiency after getting my Instrument rating

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message
During the 5 month break, I continued to study, read, practice approaches
on
the PC simulator, etc.
[...]
Wow. I was shocked to see how rusty I was on actually flying the airplane.
I had trouble maintaining heading and altitude (although never busted PTS
standards). After about 10-15 minutes, that settled down.

Yup, the feel of the plane is different from the PC simulator, so you need
to readjust a bit if all your recent instrument practice has been with the
sim. But as you found, even the sim-based practice keeps you at least
moderately proficient with regard to basic instrument aviating.

[...] However, the radial I drew was more like a 150 radial than 060.
[...] They are so easy, how could I have any trouble with them?!?
And the answer is: ... by not using them!
[...] Every week or so, I plan
to go through this list and practice each one (either in actual flight,
via PC simulator or in some cases, using armchair flying).

Yes, that seems wise. As you discovered, it's important to use the PC sim
not just for approaches, but also for all other phases of IFR flight.

Here in the Northeast, my strategy for staying proficient is to rely heavily
on PC-sim practice, augmented by flying IFR/IMC as often as possible during
XC trips (for me, that usually amounts to just a few IMC XC flights per
year), and doing practice approaches and holds in benign IMC (preferably
LIMC) four times a year--three approaches on each of two days in October and
November, and two days in April and May. Those four flights keep me legally
current year-round, even without any IMC flying in winter (except for PC-sim
practice, which doesn't officially count but keeps me proficient). I avoid
hood flying; I don't enjoy it and I find it less useful than using the sim.

Anyway, that works well for me. Obviously, though, any new instrument pilot
should experiment conservatively (bringing a CFI if there's any doubt) to
discover what's required to stay proficient.

--Gary