Adiabatic lapse rate

Old October 27th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Default Adiabatic lapse rate

Latent heat. That is why they spray water on the oranges to
reduce frost damage.

After a day or two at below freezing, but near freezing
temperatures in stable air, there will be little airframe
ice because the water has finally frozen.
But with unstable air, more fresh and liquid water is being
cooled into the supercooled range and that makes structural
ice.

wrote in message
ups.com...

| Bill wrote:
|
| In fact I've noticed when there is ice about and the
temp is near
| freezing that
| it tends to stay that way -- no rate at all!!
|
| I've noticed that too, and always assumed its because of
the ice

Old October 29th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Al G[_1_]

wrote in message
Why dies everyone think that the standard lapse rate is a
meteorological term?

It's not.

You think it is a cooking term?
Maybe medical, as in "I let my medical lapse".

Al G

Old October 29th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

It is used to model the standard atmosphere, certainly is a
scientific term used in physics, which applies to
meteorological study. It has an application to actual
flight by using terms such as ISA+20

Old October 30th 07, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Environmental lapse rate is a meteorological term.

Adiabatic lapse rates are meteorologocal terms.

Standard lapse rates are an invention of engineers to enable them to
compare aircraft performance.

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:40:05 -0700, "Al G"
wrote:

.. .