sitka spruce

Old February 21st 04, 12:42 AM
Jerry Wass

Alaska has a lot of "Alaskan Yellow Cedar" --lookitup--it is about 10%
heavier,
stronger all properties right across the board--This is a beautiful wood, I
have
built boats out of it, They call it "yellow" because ,even though it is
white when worked, if you seal it it turns a pale yellow.. there are
thousands of them dead
and still standing plus some live--but they are scattered about & you would
either have to boat, chopper or blimp them to the mill---The dead wood is
every bit as good as the growing, sometimes slightly better. Sumbody up
there otta look
into it..Jerry

Del Rawlins wrote:

In Ron Webb wrote:

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. Up here there are literally 10's of
thousands of square miles of old growth black spruce forests. Really
slow growing, tight grained wood that HAS to be tougher'n HELL. I've
often wondered if there might be a market for it.

Those are also tiny little things covered with branches (read: knots).
I shudder at the thought of how many pieces you would have to scarf
together to make anything useable. Another reason why the old growth
sitka spruce and doug fir make good aircraft structure is fewer branches
on the lower part of the trunk, which is more likely to develop under a
high canopy.

Wood is a great building material and I've enjoyed using it to make a
couple boats. For my airplane I'd rather have all metal structure just
for the consistency of the material.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/

Old February 21st 04, 02:20 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:17:10 GMT, "Dude" wrote:

Do you know what varieties of spruce will make good airplane parts?

I am planning to plant a bunch of trees, and I might as well do something
good for the future of aviation while I am at it. It would be a shame if
there were know pretty biplanes decorating the sky.

There once was a British admiral who, legend has it, always carried a
pocketful of acorns with him to plant the trees for the ships the next
generation would be sailing....

Ron Wanttaja
Old February 21st 04, 03:05 AM
Dude

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:17:10 GMT, "Dude" wrote:

Do you know what varieties of spruce will make good airplane parts?

I am planning to plant a bunch of trees, and I might as well do something
good for the future of aviation while I am at it. It would be a shame if
there were know pretty biplanes decorating the sky.

There once was a British admiral who, legend has it, always carried a
pocketful of acorns with him to plant the trees for the ships the next
generation would be sailing....

Ron Wanttaja

That's the sort of thinking we need!

Will that Sitka grow in SE Texas, there is no snow here, and the summers are
hell, but there is LOTS of water.

Old February 21st 04, 03:30 AM
Morgans

"Dude" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:17:10 GMT, "Dude" wrote:

Do you know what varieties of spruce will make good airplane parts?

I am planning to plant a bunch of trees, and I might as well do

something
good for the future of aviation while I am at it. It would be a shame

if
there were know pretty biplanes decorating the sky.

There once was a British admiral who, legend has it, always carried a
pocketful of acorns with him to plant the trees for the ships the next
generation would be sailing....

Ron Wanttaja

That's the sort of thinking we need!

Will that Sitka grow in SE Texas, there is no snow here, and the summers

are
hell, but there is LOTS of water.

Nope. They like cool, can't do hot. They also like the rain forest
temperate climate. And "cool" is something you all don't do well. g
--
Jim in NC

---

Old February 21st 04, 12:05 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:17:43 -0900, "Ron Webb"
wrote:

Do you know what varieties of spruce will make good airplane parts?

Tha NACA report server has several good reports on the subject. Here is one

http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/1931/naca-report-354/

The upshot is that Sitka Spruce is not magic. There are several other
varieties that would work as well. It was originally settled on mainly
because it was cheap, back in the '30s. But the value of a "standard" is
such that even though the stuff is now up to $1000 per spar, we keep
insisting on it.

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. Up here there are literally 10's of thousands
of square miles of old growth black spruce forests. Really slow growing,
tight grained wood that HAS to be tougher'n HELL. I've often wondered if
there might be a market for it.

Ron
when the spruce is dried to 12% moisture content you are looking for
20 lb per cubic ft for A grade and 24 lb per cubic ft for B grade.
(among all the other criteria)
your stuff would probably be too dense. it might just be ok for
propellors if you can get knot free lengths though.

I have a similar problem in Australia. all the Queensland Hoop Pine
that I can lay my hands on comes in at 34 to 36 lbs per cubic ft. It
is just too heavy for aircraft work.
I've been looking at a single seat Corby Starlet and the difference is
enough to turn a limited aerobatic aircraft into a curvature of the
earth climb out dog.

Frank Rodgers in Australia reworked the french Jodel D18 to use oregon
pine (douglas fir) instead of spruce and I believe this entailed a
complete redesign.

......ohhhh drat.
Stealth Pilot
Australia

Old February 21st 04, 12:08 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:58:12 -0900, "Ron Webb"
wrote:

There are some areas, though where the growth is not so dense, and they grow
bigger. I know many stands of 2 foot diameter trees (3 in my front yard)
where the bottom 20ft or so look like they might yield a spar or 2 if cut
carefully.

If you read the old australian wartime specs for spruce they make
mention of not using the bottom 15ft of a tree because of the
increased problems with fungal attack later in the life of the
component.

Stealth Pilot
Australia
Old February 21st 04, 12:11 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:42:30 -0600, Jerry Wass
wrote:

Alaska has a lot of "Alaskan Yellow Cedar" --lookitup--it is about 10%
heavier,
stronger all properties right across the board--This is a beautiful wood, I
have
built boats out of it, They call it "yellow" because ,even though it is
white when worked, if you seal it it turns a pale yellow.. there are
thousands of them dead
and still standing plus some live--but they are scattered about & you would
either have to boat, chopper or blimp them to the mill---The dead wood is
every bit as good as the growing, sometimes slightly better. Sumbody up
there otta look
into it..Jerry

I think people are looking. you can now buy alaskan yellow cedar in
bunnings here in western australia. only noticed it available this
year.
looked promising but a bit knotty.

(bunnings is our Home Depot Clone)

Stealth Pilot
Australia
Old February 21st 04, 10:03 PM
Ebby

Just out of curiosity, what are the Japanese using all the sitka spruce for?

Ebby
Soon in search of sitka.

Old February 21st 04, 11:06 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:03:29 GMT, "Ebby" wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what are the Japanese using all the sitka spruce for?

Skewers for whale steaks. :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Old February 22nd 04, 03:28 AM
Daniel

Ron Wanttaja wrote...
There once was a British admiral who, legend has it, always carried a
pocketful of acorns with him to plant the trees for the ships the next
generation would be sailing....

"Dude" wrote ...
Will that Sitka grow in SE Texas, [?]

A friend of mine (also in SE Texas] loves to grow things. She & her
husband once took a trip to Colorado where she was struck by the
beauty of of the spruce trees up there. Nothing like 'em back home.
She decided then & there that she had to have some planted around the
ranchette. Started pestering her husband about it. After a couple
days of nagging, they'd stopped at a scenic overlook & she brought the
subject up for the 37th time. He looked down on the ground beneath
one of the subject trees & informed her that there was a large
quantity of seeds just laying there for the taking. She starts
picking them up & stuffing them in her pockets. He was tickled pink,
smiling from ear to ear and made sure that she understood the need to
keep the seeds warm. Something about the tree having evolved at
higher elevations where the sun is more intense. So she kept them in
her pockets. Kind of a nuisance, having to dig through them every
time she wanted her chapstick or something, but she really liked those
spruce trees & figured they were just what Texas needed. She was
happy, he was happy.

Couple days later, heading home & passing through Waco he could no
longer contain himself. Had to ask. "Honey, do you know the
difference between spruce seeds and rabbit turds?"

Daniel