Mid-west Fly-in camping?

Old May 10th 04, 02:28 AM
Jay Honeck

Default Mid-west Fly-in camping?

Every year, since his feet could reach the pegs, my son and I have done a
motorcycle camping trip together.

This year, at age 13, his feet can comfortably reach the rudder pedals -- so
now we're talking about doing a flying/camping trip, too.

Can anyone suggest a fly-in campground within, say 500 miles of Iowa City?
I know of a few in Kentucky (Kentucky Dam and Lake Barkley), and one in
Missouri (Gaston's Resort) -- but can anyone recommend any of these (or
others) in particular?

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 10th 04, 03:47 AM
Newps

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Every year, since his feet could reach the pegs, my son and I have done a
motorcycle camping trip together.

This year, at age 13, his feet can comfortably reach the rudder pedals --

so
now we're talking about doing a flying/camping trip, too.

Can anyone suggest a fly-in campground within, say 500 miles of Iowa City?
I know of a few in Kentucky (Kentucky Dam and Lake Barkley), and one in
Missouri (Gaston's Resort) -- but can anyone recommend any of these (or
others) in particular?

Come on out to Schafer Meadows(8U2) July 16-18 and help the Montana Pilots
Assoc maintain this airstrip. It is the only strip we have in Montana that
is actually in the Wilderness area(Poor planning on our part when Wilderness
areas were invented) You'll work about three hours on Saturday morning,
it's pretty easy since there are way too many workers for the amount of
work. It's really a two and a half day party. We will feed you Saturday
night. The owner of one of the FBO's in Great Falls flies in the dinner
with several trips in his 310. Last year he flew in 250 pounds of ribs from
Famous Daves, along with 3 Famous Daves employees to cook and serve it all.
We had steaks one year, burgers another, shrimp and lobster another. You
never know what you're going to get. Bring your swimsuits and your fishing
poles. You won't find better looking scenery anywhere. It's an easy
mountain strip as it is only a couple of ridge lines into the mountains.
Granted it's twice as far as you're looking to go but I can absolutely
guarantee perfect weather once you are west of the Missouri.

Old May 10th 04, 04:04 AM
Jay Honeck

Granted it's twice as far as you're looking to go but I can absolutely
guarantee perfect weather once you are west of the Missouri.

Wow -- now THAT is a tall claim!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 10th 04, 04:10 AM
Newps

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Granted it's twice as far as you're looking to go but I can absolutely
guarantee perfect weather once you are west of the Missouri.

Wow -- now THAT is a tall claim!

Every day, from approx June 15 to October 1 has perfect flying weather.
Clear to partly cloudy, light winds. The occasional T-storm in the
afternoon.

Old May 10th 04, 04:40 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Newps wrote:
Come on out to Schafer Meadows(8U2) July 16-18 and help the Montana Pilots
Assoc maintain this airstrip.

That's great! I was looking for an excuse to go to 8U2. The picture of
it on airnav is gorgeous.

Is there a web page about this flyin? Should we bring rakes, shovels,
etc?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old May 10th 04, 04:42 AM
Kyler Laird

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Can anyone suggest a fly-in campground within, say 500 miles of Iowa City?
I know of a few in Kentucky (Kentucky Dam and Lake Barkley), and one in
Missouri (Gaston's Resort) -- but can anyone recommend any of these (or
others) in particular?

We like Rough River State Park (2I3) in Kentucky (335NM from Iowa City).
https://aviationtoolbox.org/Members/...lon=-91.546503
We just fly in for food and golf
http://lairds.org/Kyler/photos/disk0...g/image_viewer
but they have decent-looking facilities there for campers.

Sadly, my favorite, Shades State Park (Waveland, IN) has closed their strip.

--kyler
Old May 10th 04, 07:46 AM
Jeff

your not kidding, that would be a nice place to fly to.

your montana and wyoming guys should post some pics of montana from the air.

Old May 10th 04, 12:17 PM
David Martin

Jay,
Actually, Gaston's is here in Northern Arkansas.

Should you decide to fly into Gaston's, you should do some homework on
their strip. Some have had fatal accidents attempting to land or depart
Gaston's. The problem is cliffs (bluffs), trees and power lines.

Gaston's would otherwise be a wonderful get-a-way.

At times, some of the local R/Cer's go there to fly their models.

See - http://www.gastons.com/

There are four airstrips all in close proximity here. Baxter County
(BPK), Flippin (FLP), Valley (private) & Gaston's (3M0).

The Arkansas Department of Aeronautics has (free) Aeronautical Charts available
(for planning purposes). Contact them at " " to
request a free chart.

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Every year, since his feet could reach the pegs, my son and I have done a
motorcycle camping trip together.

This year, at age 13, his feet can comfortably reach the rudder pedals -- so
now we're talking about doing a flying/camping trip, too.

Can anyone suggest a fly-in campground within, say 500 miles of Iowa City?
I know of a few in Kentucky (Kentucky Dam and Lake Barkley), and one in
Missouri (Gaston's Resort) -- but can anyone recommend any of these (or
others) in particular?

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

David Martin
Mountain Home, Ar.
(to respond, get rid of the NOT)
Old May 10th 04, 01:44 PM
EDR

In article , Newps
wrote:

[...]

I want to do that next year!
We already have family plans at that time this year, so I will keep
some time open for next year's.
Old May 10th 04, 01:59 PM
Edwin Johnson

On Mon, 10 May 2004 11:17:57 GMT, David Martin
wrote: Jay,
Actually, Gaston's is here in Northern Arkansas.

Should you decide to fly into Gaston's, you should do some homework on
their strip. Some have had fatal accidents attempting to land or depart
Gaston's. The problem is cliffs (bluffs), trees and power lines.

Gaston's would otherwise be a wonderful get-a-way.

I've been to Gastons several times both to stay overnight and simply eat and
I would second the recommendation for Gaston's as a nice get-a-way with a
Sunday brunch which is about as good as you will find anywhere. The
restaurant extends over the white river and the accomodations, either cabins
(actually read duplexes here) or the larger buildings with rooms like a
motel are really nice. Nice pool and some hiking trails around.

I would certainly investigate the camping since there may be no facility for
that. But as a family outing it is tops. If you like to fish then you have
an added bonus.

The strip is not difficult and once on final you find it is longer,
effectively, than you might think since you land at a slight uphill (taking
off downhill) and the grass always looks like a golf course it is cut so
nicely. The approach, once turned on final, is great, so get on down to land
on the first part of the runway. It should be no problem for any single or
light twin who is paying attention and following good speed control.

....Edwin

~ Edwin Johnson ....... ~
~
http://www.shreve.net/~elj ~
~ ~
~ "Once you have flown, you will walk the ~
~ earth with your eyes turned skyward, ~
~ for there you have been, there you long ~
~ to return." -- da Vinci ~