War on Terror

Old May 22nd 05, 03:47 AM
Franklin Newton

Default War on Terror

Anyone else wonder why, in the middle of our war on terror, we're not
turning over an accused terrorist to the proper authorities? Mr. Posada has
been accused of a part in the destruction of a civil air carrier, much the
same as our friends of sep 11.

Old May 22nd 05, 03:50 AM
George Patterson

Franklin Newton wrote:
Anyone else wonder why, in the middle of our war on terror, we're not
turning over an accused terrorist to the proper authorities?

Nope.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 22nd 05, 04:02 AM
Mike W.

"Franklin Newton" wrote in message
ink.net...
Anyone else wonder why, in the middle of our war on terror, we're not
turning over an accused terrorist to the proper authorities? Mr. Posada

has
been accused of a part in the destruction of a civil air carrier, much the
same as our friends of sep 11.

Anyone remember the 'War on Drugs'? They sure kicked the **** out of that
problem, didn't they?

Old May 22nd 05, 05:51 AM
George Patterson

Mike W. wrote:

Anyone remember the 'War on Drugs'? They sure kicked the **** out of that
problem, didn't they?

Yeah, and they spent next to nothing doing it too.

Old May 22nd 05, 01:48 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, George Patterson said:
Mike W. wrote:
Anyone remember the 'War on Drugs'? They sure kicked the **** out of that
problem, didn't they?

Yeah, and they spent next to nothing doing it too.

They couldn't have done it so cheaply if they hadn't won the War on
Poverty first.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Harry very carefully read the manual - four times - because Snape would
Old May 22nd 05, 03:45 PM
AES

Mike W. wrote:
Anyone remember the 'War on Drugs'? They sure kicked the **** out of that
problem, didn't they?

Yeah, and they spent next to nothing doing it too.

They couldn't have done it so cheaply if they hadn't won the War on
Poverty first.

Have to decide which wars are really worth fighting.
Old May 23rd 05, 06:35 AM
Montblack

("AES" wrote)
Have to decide which wars are really worth fighting.

Energy .................1977

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/carter/...ps_energy.html
(This difficult effort will be the "moral equivalent of war" --)

Primary Sources: The President's Proposed Energy Policy
Jimmy Carter delivered this televised speech on April 18, 1977.

Tonight I want to have an unpleasant talk with you about a problem
unprecedented in our history. With the exception of preventing war, this is
the greatest challenge our country will face during our lifetimes. The
energy crisis has not yet overwhelmed us, but it will if we do not act
quickly.
It is a problem we will not solve in the next few years, and it is likely to
get progressively worse through the rest of this century.

We must not be selfish or timid if we hope to have a decent world for our
children and grandchildren.
We simply must balance our demand for energy with our rapidly shrinking
resources. By acting now, we can control our future instead of letting the
future control us.

Two days from now, I will present my energy proposals to the Congress. Its
members will be my partners and they have already given me a great deal of
valuable advice. Many of these proposals will be unpopular. Some will cause
you to put up with inconveniences and to make sacrifices.

The most important thing about these proposals is that the alternative may
be a national catastrophe. Further delay can affect our strength and our
power as a nation.

Our decision about energy will test the character of the American people and
the ability of the President and the Congress to govern. This difficult
effort will be the "moral equivalent of war" -- except that we will be
uniting our efforts to build and not destroy.

I know that some of you may doubt that we face real energy shortages. The
1973 gasoline lines are gone, and our homes are warm again. But our energy
problem is worse tonight than it was in 1973 or a few weeks ago in the dead
of winter. It is worse because more waste has occurred, and more time has
passed by without our planning for the future. And it will get worse every
day until we act.

[snip]

Montblack

Old May 23rd 05, 02:28 PM
Jose

Maybe we should have a war on reason. It would ensure the survival of
brains.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
Old May 24th 05, 06:01 AM
Roger

On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:35:09 -0500, "Montblack"
wrote:

("AES" wrote)
Have to decide which wars are really worth fighting.

Energy .................1977

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/carter/...ps_energy.html
(This difficult effort will be the "moral equivalent of war" --)

Primary Sources: The President's Proposed Energy Policy
Jimmy Carter delivered this televised speech on April 18, 1977.

The sad part is we had a really good start on conserving energy.
People were moving to smaller cars, better mileage, learning to
conserve, car pool... and a whole list of things.

We really reduced the amount of fuel we were using. The result was
gas became cheap(relatively speaking) and plentiful. People went back
to demanding big cars and trucks so the automakers dutifully started
building them and why not. We wanted them and they make more money on
them. Car pooling was too inconvenient, as were most of the other
methods of conserving and ... here we are and for that we can't blame
the government. Now if, instead of conserving they build subsidized
refineries to increase the output... Then we can blame the
government..

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old May 24th 05, 11:17 AM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 24 May 2005 01:01:36 -0400, Roger
wrote in
::

People went back
to demanding big cars and trucks so the automakers dutifully started
building them and why not.

Actually, Detroit began pushing SUVs, because they are classed as
light trucks and do not fall under clean air mandates.