DCA to reopen to GA

Old May 25th 05, 06:34 PM
Guy Elden Jr

No, I disagree. It is as someone else mentioned, just enough of a step
to shut up the people who actually matter to the gov't. The rest of us,
unfortunately, only get heard through AOPA, and they obviously don't
have enough clout to get us our rightful access to the DC-3 airports...
honestly, I could care less about flying into DCA... the other airports
that have been shutdown are far more GA friendly. At least there is a
way to get in to them, but it requires jumping through way too many
hoops for the occasional transient pilot.

--
jr

Old May 25th 05, 07:27 PM
Ron Natalie

Guy Elden Jr wrote:
No, I disagree. It is as someone else mentioned, just enough of a step
to shut up the people who actually matter to the gov't. The rest of us,
unfortunately, only get heard through AOPA, and they obviously don't
have enough clout to get us our rightful access to the DC-3 airports...

Anybody can get access to the DC-3 airports. You just have to go
through the vetting process. That was opened up a few months ago.
Of course, the process is annoying to get vetted and mildly annoying
(on a busy day when both the Leesburg FSS and Potomac approach have
long call queues0.
Old May 25th 05, 07:45 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:
WASHINGTON - Private planes will be allowed to take off and land at Reagan

Great news!

Sorta -- it's definitely a good first step. But AOPA has pulled the article on
this from their web site (it was there a few hours ago). That article said that
the pilots must have undergone a security check and cleared by the FBI, there
will only be 24 arrivals and departures allowed each day, and there must be an
armed LEO aboard.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 25th 05, 07:47 PM
George Patterson

Jose wrote:

...., and an
armed officer being on board the aircraft. Presumably this is an
appropriately vetted officer. Where are they going to get these
officers?

Well, if your State has such a thing, apply for an honorary deputy sheriff's
position and take the required training.

Old May 25th 05, 07:58 PM
John T

Ron Natalie wrote:

The private planes their talking about is corporate aircraft that are
being used as legal bribes for congressional members.

No doubt.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old May 25th 05, 08:39 PM
RST Engineering

It's going to be a witch to get Ron Wattanja's single seater in there, isn't
it?

Jim

there must be an
armed LEO aboard.

Old May 25th 05, 10:06 PM
Icebound

"H.P." wrote in message
m...

Reagan Nat'l Airport Reopening to Private Planes

Tuesday, May 24, 2005
WASHINGTON - Private planes will be allowed to take off and land at Reagan
National Airport (search) for the first time since Sept. 11, 2001,
...snip...

In 90 days, the plan would allow 48 flights into the airport a day. Their
crews will have to have their backgrounds checked and an armed law
enforcement officer will have to be on board, the people said.

Statistically, one armed law enforcement officer in so many (I don't know
how many) is a rogue. Is that any less of a threat than one passenger in so
many (I don't know how many) being a terrorist?

Would I feel safer in a 12-pax corporate jet where 1 person (who I don't
know) has a gun, or in one where nobody has a gun?

Old May 25th 05, 10:37 PM
Blueskies

"H.P." wrote in message m...

Reagan Nat'l Airport Reopening to Private Planes

Doesn't sound very open to me...