Source of Dacron?

Old September 27th 05, 11:09 PM
Michael Horowitz

Default Source of Dacron?

As part of my welding practice, I'm going to build a small control
surface "look-alike" ( I have access to Tcraft blueprints so what I
build will look vaguely like a real part) . I'd like to take the
opportunity to learn a bit about covering, but don't want to spend
money on Ceconite if it's REALLY just Dacron.

Dacron out of a fabric shop is already shrunk.

Can someone suggest a source for unshrunk Dacron?

I guess I could find who makes it and order a few yards, but if
someone has already gone down this path.... - Mike
Old September 27th 05, 11:22 PM
Ed Sullivan

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:09:57 -0400, Michael Horowitz
wrote:

Can someone suggest a source for unshrunk Dacron?

I guess I could find who makes it and order a few yards, but if
someone has already gone down this path.... - Mike

I Think Aircraft Spruce still sells uncertified dacron at a cheaper
price than the stamped stuff.

Old September 27th 05, 11:51 PM
Don Lewis n FTW

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message ...
As part of my welding practice, I'm going to build a small control
surface "look-alike" ( I have access to Tcraft blueprints so what I
build will look vaguely like a real part) . I'd like to take the
opportunity to learn a bit about covering, but don't want to spend
money on Ceconite if it's REALLY just Dacron.

Dacron out of a fabric shop is already shrunk.

Can someone suggest a source for unshrunk Dacron?

I guess I could find who makes it and order a few yards, but if
someone has already gone down this path.... - Mike

a google search for "uncertified dacron" turned up the following at
http://www.first-to-fly.com/Adventur.../materials.htm with this info.......
"If you want durability, cover the glider with a lightweight Dacron. This synthetic material is tough as nails and can be easily
washed. Get the uncertified stuff, certified aircraft Dacron had black stamps all over it. You can purchase 1.6 ounce uncertified
aircraft Dacron from Jim and Dondi Miller at:

Aircraft Technical Support
9220 Burgett Road
Orient, OH 43146
(614) 877-3334

Whatever fabric you choose, you'll need about 55 yards for a 1902 Wright glider."

The page shows to be last updated JAN 04..................

Might be worth a try............

Old September 28th 05, 01:56 AM

Wicks lists 1.7 oz "peel ply" for about $.75 per yard less than 1.8 oz
noncertified dacron...............

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog...800/index.html
=============
Leon McAtee

Old September 29th 05, 03:06 AM
Ernest Christley

Don Lewis n FTW wrote:
"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message ...

As part of my welding practice, I'm going to build a small control
surface "look-alike" ( I have access to Tcraft blueprints so what I
build will look vaguely like a real part) . I'd like to take the
opportunity to learn a bit about covering, but don't want to spend
money on Ceconite if it's REALLY just Dacron.

Dacron out of a fabric shop is already shrunk.

Can someone suggest a source for unshrunk Dacron?

I guess I could find who makes it and order a few yards, but if
someone has already gone down this path.... - Mike

If you go with an uncertified Dacron, would it be prudent to stick with
the Ceconite or Polyfiber glues, or will the substitutes work for that
as well? A.Spruce has a glue in their catalogue that is described as
water based and non toxic. Having worked with the MEK based stuff while
helping a friend, that sound very appealing.

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make
Old September 29th 05, 05:12 AM
guynoir

Try PVC pipe cement.

If you go with an uncertified Dacron, would it be prudent to stick with
the Ceconite or Polyfiber glues, or will the substitutes work for that
as well? A.Spruce has a glue in their catalogue that is described as
water based and non toxic. Having worked with the MEK based stuff while
helping a friend, that sound very appealing.

--
John Kimmel

or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is
not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
to the American public."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old September 29th 05, 05:33 AM
Dean A. Scott

guynoir wrote:
Try PVC pipe cement.

That's a new one for me. Does this stuff "weld/melt" Polyesther the
same way it does Polyvinyl Chloride?

Does it come uncolored? If so, where? Local hardwares carry the
purple stuff, which would look rather ugly, especially if doing a
sail repair/patch.

I dislike Polytak as it discolors to yellow/brown over time and
tends to not hold patches well, even with copious amounts (diluted
50% with acetone) saturating the patch and repair area.

Dean A. Scott
Old September 29th 05, 08:55 AM
guynoir

I don't know, I've never tried it myself. I read about it either in RAH
or on some other group, like fly5k. I wouldn't be surprised if polytac
WAS pvc pipe cement. I suggested it because the OP said he was using it
for a non-flying bench welding project. It is very cheap and it would
be very easy to find out if it works well enough for a non-flying project.

Dean A. Scott wrote:

guynoir wrote:

Try PVC pipe cement.

That's a new one for me. Does this stuff "weld/melt" Polyesther the
same way it does Polyvinyl Chloride?

Does it come uncolored? If so, where? Local hardwares carry the
purple stuff, which would look rather ugly, especially if doing a
sail repair/patch.

I dislike Polytak as it discolors to yellow/brown over time and
tends to not hold patches well, even with copious amounts (diluted
50% with acetone) saturating the patch and repair area.

Dean A. Scott

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.
Old September 29th 05, 10:46 PM
Michael Horowitz

guynoir wrote:

I don't know, I've never tried it myself. I read about it either in RAH
or on some other group, like fly5k. I wouldn't be surprised if polytac
WAS pvc pipe cement. I suggested it because the OP said he was using it
for a non-flying bench welding project. It is very cheap and it would
be very easy to find out if it works well enough for a non-flying project.

I believe the dope itself acts as an adhesive - Mike
Old September 30th 05, 02:34 AM
Smitty Two

In article 1127968532.80a77c3a44f877cc2343ed0688df9af6@teran ews,
"Dean A. Scott" wrote:

guynoir wrote:
Try PVC pipe cement.

That's a new one for me. Does this stuff "weld/melt" Polyesther the
same way it does Polyvinyl Chloride?

Does it come uncolored? If so, where? Local hardwares carry the
purple stuff, which would look rather ugly, especially if doing a
sail repair/patch.

Around here, the purple stuff is the primer, and the cement itself is
clear.