GNS430 Without the IAF

Old February 11th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default GNS430 Without the IAF

Hello,

Here's a situation that keeps coming up: I'm coming home to SQL
and want to fly the GPS30
approach. Like many GPS approaches, this one looks like the letter
"L". The corner of the L
is AMEBY, and 5 miles later after that is the FAF, CUZUP.

AMEBY is not an IAF, but that doesn't stop ATC. Typically, from 40
miles out they say
something like "fly heading XXX when able direct AMEBY". Then when I'm
close, they'll
say "Cross Ameby at or above 3200, cleared for the San Carlos GPS30
approach".

Since AMEBY is not an IAF, it's not one of the GNS430 approach
choices. Which leaves
Vectors-to-final, but when you choose that, the guidance to AMEBY goes
away. Well, I think
the icon remains on the moving map.

The only solution I could think of was to cross AMEBY, and then
activate Vectors-to-Final.
When already on the approach, and already dealing with the precise
flying required on the approach.

Anybody got a better way?

- Jerry Kaidor

Old February 11th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Jerry wrote:

/snip/
Anybody got a better way?

- Jerry Kaidor

Jerry,

While I have never flown a 430, I have flown several other IFR GPS's
(Trimble/Free Flight, Appolo/UPSAT), and on them, my solution would be
roughly as follows: Activate the approach via the JEFNY IAF. Fly the
assigned heading, until the approach mode initializes, then scroll
forward in the flight plan to the JIKPE-AMEBY leg. Select Direct TO
Ameby, and the approach should sequence normally after that. You may
even be able to do this before approach mode initialization, I'm just
not sure about Garmin's programming.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old February 11th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Why not just select JEFNY,activate the approach, then on the active
flight plan screen, hit 'cursor', turn the outer knob to the right to
select 'AMEBY',press Direct (D-), ENTER,ENTER,and Bamm...you're direct
to AMEBY,sequenced for the approach.

Old February 11th 06, 09:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Brad wrote:

Why not just select JEFNY,activate the approach, then on the active
flight plan screen, hit 'cursor', turn the outer knob to the right to
select 'AMEBY',press Direct (D-), ENTER,ENTER,and Bamm...you're direct
to AMEBY,sequenced for the approach.

Or, direct AMEBY then enter OBS mode and set up the correct course to AMEBY.

Lots of way to skin this cat.
Old February 11th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

As the others have said, scroll the full approach fpl to AMEBY, the
Direct, Enter, Enter.

This illustrates a general point - one should not be too quick to
activate "vectors-to-final" the instant one gets a vector. Reality is
that one isn't always vectored to a gate just prior to the FAF. You
can always select FAF, direct,direct,enter,enter to make the
intermediate leg activate when it turns out that is really where you
are going. Until then, leaving the full approach active leaves more
options, like the above.

Another local example is coming into LVK from the Modesto area. You
get vectored onto the localizer outside FOOTO, with final instructions
to cross FOOTO at or above xxxx. But if you activated VTF, FOOTO is
blown away - and FOOTO is the one thing you really wanted from the GPS,
since the localizer becomes primary for guidance.

I do it in the manner Tim suggested. Activate the full approach from
TRACY, select FOOTO, direct, enter, enter. Then go to OBS mode, setting
the OBS to 255 the inbound course of the extended localizer centerline.
Crossing FOOTO, go to leg mode.

Ed Williams

Old February 17th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

My answer is very simular to Brad's answer.

Activate your approach like you normally would (via JEFNY).

Then, when ATC gives you Fly XX Direct AMEBY, press the D- button.
Using the outside nob, scroll to the FPL box. Using the inside nob,
dial to AMEBY.
ENTER ENTER twice, and you are on your way.

I find it's easier to use this than to use the flightplan screen.
Mostly because I don't have to change pages, then cursor, etc.

Old February 20th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

And that's exactly what I did on my last flight. Worked perfect.

Old February 20th 06, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Jerry" wrote in message
ups.com...
And that's exactly what I did on my last flight. Worked perfect.

What is?

(If you don't want everyone in on the thread, take it to email)

Old February 20th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

What is?

....The procedure in the tree/thread exactly above my post. Since I was
the person who posted the question in the first place, I thought -what
I wound up doing- might be of interest.

- Jerry

Old February 20th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Jerry" wrote in message
ups.com...
What is?

...The procedure in the tree/thread exactly above my post. Since I was
the person who posted the question in the first place, I thought -what
I wound up doing- might be of interest.

The only thread above yours in my reader was....empty.

I hope you don't write manuals for a living! :~)