HELP -designing new panel

Old February 21st 06, 07:03 AM
freestone freestone is offline
Junior Member

Default HELP -designing new panel

I am new to IFR (pilot a long time just working on rating now, not sure how much I will use it but hope too).

I am restoring an old plane and doing a completely new panel, which I need to spec out in about 6 months.

I would like to keep the plane light, but still...

I need some help in deciding whether to get a 530 with a backup 430 - or something else. Maybe the 480 though I have seen the debates.

Perhaps a mx20 or Avidyne 500?

What about an HSI for the panel? sandel?

One thing I really do want is an active tcas and a display that i can instantly identify target location on.

I will also add a stec autopilot.

What would you put in? I don't have that much space. A 530 would fit in the center below the throttle quadrant, but any other nav/comm would go on the right side of the plane. In liu of a 530, I could put a mx20 like box in the center, but the nav/comm would need to be on the right side.

thanks for the help.
Old February 21st 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

You didn't say what make/model "old plane" but consider
factors...
1. Electrical loads and power available, including backup
battery power;
2. Panel space;
3. Budget
4. Ease of use, system integration.

A quality avionics shop will be able to assist in designing
and fabrication of a new panel and do a proper electrical
system survey. Also, you will want to consider other
systems, such as pneumatic and the engine in general.

You might want to get the rating before you finalize the new
panel, you'll have a better idea of what and where to spend
your money.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"freestone" wrote
in message ...

Old February 21st 06, 10:00 PM
freestone freestone is offline
Junior Member

A dehavilland Beaver. 70amp alternator.

as restoration going on i will need to spec the panel out in late summer or so. will Garmin update the 530's with better resolution, waas, airways, etc?

Not planning on doing serious IFR in this plane, but I do need to get above coastal clouds and also will be going into backcountry. Use on the west coast, up and down it.

Panel space is always tight.

Budget can be flexible, but I do want to preserve a lot of the authenticity of the beaver, yet I want to have good situational awareness. Room as mentioned in the center for either a 530 or something like an mx20, and room in front of right seat for another nav/com, transponder, etc.

Will have an active tcas in the plane - and would like a nice display perhaps a sandel hsi to display it on seperate from garmin or so display which gets cluttered. maybe a dedicated 3 inch hazard display instead.

ease of use and "future proofing" of course is nice.

thanks for the advice,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Macklin

Old February 21st 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

As to what Garmin will do, ask Garmin. They can even help
you with selections for what you want. You may want to have
more electrical power, perhaps a second generator and
battery, with a load shedding bus.

You could just have the Beaver completely refurbed stock
and use a Garmin 396 .

All IFR is serious.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"freestone" wrote
in message ...

| A dehavilland Beaver. 70amp alternator.
|
| as restoration going on i will need to spec the panel out
in late
| summer or so. will Garmin update the 530's with better
resolution,
| waas, airways, etc?
|
| Not planning on doing serious IFR in this plane, but I do
need to get
| above coastal clouds and also will be going into
backcountry. Use on
| the west coast, up and down it.
|
| Panel space is always tight.
|
| Budget can be flexible, but I do want to preserve a lot of
the
| authenticity of the beaver, yet I want to have good
situational
| awareness. Room as mentioned in the center for either a
530 or
| something like an mx20, and room in front of right seat
for another
| nav/com, transponder, etc.
|
| Will have an active tcas in the plane - and would like a
nice display
| perhaps a sandel hsi to display it on seperate from garmin
or so
| display which gets cluttered. maybe a dedicated 3 inch
hazard display
| instead.
|
| ease of use and "future proofing" of course is nice.
|

| thanks for the advice,
|

| Jim Macklin Wrote:
| You didn't say what make/model "old plane" but consider
| factors...
| 1. Electrical loads and power available, including
backup
| battery power;
| 2. Panel space;
| 3. Budget
| 4. Ease of use, system integration.
|
| A quality avionics shop will be able to assist in
designing
| and fabrication of a new panel and do a proper
electrical
| system survey. Also, you will want to consider other
| systems, such as pneumatic and the engine in general.
|
| You might want to get the rating before you finalize the
new
| panel, you'll have a better idea of what and where to
spend
| your money.
|

| --
| James H. Macklin
| ATP,CFI,A&P
|
| --
| The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
| But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
| some support
| http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
| See http://www.fija.org/ more about your rights and
duties.

| "freestone"
wrote
| in message
| |
| | I am new to IFR (pilot a long time just working on
rating
| now, not sure
| | how much I will use it but hope too).
| |
| | I am restoring an old plane and doing a completely new
| panel, which I
| | need to spec out in about 6 months.
| |
| | I would like to keep the plane light, but still...
| |
| | I need some help in deciding whether to get a 530 with
| backup 430 -
| | or something else. Maybe the 480 though I have seen
the
| debates.
| |
| | Perhaps a mx20 or Avidyne 500?
| |
| | What about an HSI for the panel? sandel?
| |
| | One thing I really do want is an active tcas and a
display
| that i can
| | instantly identify target location on.
| |
| | I will also add a stec autopilot.
| |
| | What would you put in? I don't have that much space.
| 530 would fit
| | in the center below the throttle quadrant, but any
other
| nav/comm would
| | go on the right side of the plane. In liu of a 530, I
| could put a mx20
| | like box in the center, but the nav/comm would need to
be
| on the right
| | side.
| |
| | thanks for the help.
| |
| |

Old February 22nd 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

All you really need is a radio, an IFR GPS, and a VOR with a
glideslope. You don't really NEED marker beacons, DME or ADF. Couple
your all electric autopilot to either your GPS or your VOR head. With a
GPS and an autopilot, you don't really need an HSI (they are
expensive). Back all this up with a handheld radio (with it's own
outside antennae) and a handheld GPS (with it's own antennae) and you
have a modern, redundant, easy to fly panel. Just use the GPS to fly
enroute and when you get there, fly the ILS. The VOR backs up the GPS
and the GPS backs up the VOR. Loose vacuum and you still have the
autopilot. Loose electic and you still have your vacuum instruments and
your handhelds. What a setup!