IFR currency

Old February 25th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR currency

I know the rules on IFR currency as far as the FAA certificate is concerned
but I have a scenario which my be worth a debate.

A pilot holds independently both a FAA/IR and a JAR/IR. The JAR IR is valid
for 12 months and must be revalidated in the three months preceding the
expiry of the rating, usually with a proficiency checkride. The checkride
is required whether the rating holder has done 1 or 1000 approaches during
the 12 months.

The pilot has not flown the 6 instrument approaches etc in the immediately
preceding 6 months so is out of currency with the FAA/IR. However the JAR/IR
is still valid and in the next 2 months the pilot flies 20 instrument
approaches, dozens of holds , airways tracking, the lot in fact all solo on
his JAR/IR, does that activity all written up nicely in the log book then
make him current as far as the FAA is concerned?

Certainly it would have him as proficient but would the pilot still need to
go off with a safety pilot and do the 6 simulated instrument approaches etc.
Reading the FARs it would seem to me that he would despite the fact that the
approaches were done legally in the respective JAR country.

Chris

Old February 25th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

The pilot needs the IPC to fly a USA registered airplane in
the USA. He can fly a outside the USA in any airplane on
the JAR license under JAR rules.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old February 25th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

The pilot has not flown the 6 instrument approaches etc in the immediately
preceding 6 months so is out of currency with the FAA/IR.

As long as the pilot is not more than six months out of currency, he
does not need an IPC; he can become current again by flying six
approaches and detritus. If he is more than six months out of currency,
then he would need an IPC.

However the JAR/IR
is still valid and in the next 2 months the pilot flies 20 instrument
approaches, dozens of holds , airways tracking, the lot in fact all solo on
his JAR/IR, does that activity all written up nicely in the log book then
make him current as far as the FAA is concerned?

I would imagine so, unless there is some reason that flying on a JAR is
not loggable as per the FCC (for example, I believe police and military
flying does not count towards FCC requirements).

Jose
Old February 25th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Jose wrote
I would imagine so, unless there is some reason that flying on a JAR
is not loggable as per the FCC (for example, I believe police and
military flying does not count towards FCC requirements).

A little too late for you Jose? FCC????

Bob Moore
Old February 25th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I would imagine so, unless there is some reason that flying on a JAR
is not loggable as per the FCC (for example, I believe police and
military flying does not count towards FCC requirements).

A little too late for you Jose? FCC????

LOL. I stand by my statement though. The FCC will not accept your FAA
logbook (or your JAR logbook) twoards any FCC requirements.

Jose
Old February 25th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Chris" wrote in message

Reading the FARs it would seem to me that he would despite the fact that
the approaches were done legally in the respective JAR country.

What's your basis for believing that these approaches would not satisfy
61.57(c)?

Julian

Old February 26th 06, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Julian Scarfe" wrote in message
"Chris" wrote in message

Reading the FARs it would seem to me that he would despite the fact that
the approaches were done legally in the respective JAR country.

What's your basis for believing that these approaches would not satisfy
61.57(c)?

The belief (mistaken) that in the second 6 months the way to become current
is to fly the requisite number of approaches etc with a safety pilot.

I also suppose that in the UK, the validity of an IMC rating of 25 months
seems to provide a lot of flexibility in terms of keeping the FAA/IR valid.

Old February 26th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Jose" wrote in message
[...]

You probably meant 12 months out of currency since all you need is a safety
pilot in the 6 to 12 month period. After 12 months, IPC is required. FCC?

Old February 26th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

You probably meant 12 months out of currency

No, I meant six months out of currency. You are out of currency when
you do not six approaches in the preceeding six months. You are one day
out of currency the day after that happens.

since all you need is a safety
pilot in the 6 to 12 month period.

We're just measuring from different points. I am measuring "out of
currency" from the day you are no longer legal to file IFR. After that,
you have six months to get back in the saddle with a safety pilot before
you need a CFI.

FCC?

You didn't know the FAA and the FCC merged? They will be known as the FBB.

Jose
Old February 28th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Jose" wrote in message
news
You probably meant 12 months out of currency

No, I meant six months out of currency. You are out of currency when you
do not six approaches in the preceeding six months. You are one day out
of currency the day after that happens.

since all you need is a safety pilot in the 6 to 12 month period.

We're just measuring from different points. I am measuring "out of
currency" from the day you are no longer legal to file IFR. After that,
you have six months to get back in the saddle with a safety pilot before
you need a CFI.

FCC?

You didn't know the FAA and the FCC merged? They will be known as the
FBB.

Jose

I see...
There is a famous movie star with your kind of language skills.
Yoda, like you he talks.

Fidel