Why didn't GWB join the U.S. Air Force ?

Old July 17th 04, 02:52 PM
Leslie Swartz

The much more "interesting thing" is that Art can make completely false
(amazing in their purity of falsehood; breathtaking, actually) statements in
total opposition to anything resembling the truth or logic (see below) and
build an entire worldview out of it!

" . . . an administration and a Supreme Court that gives preference to
state's rights . . . "

Wow.

This newsgroup has turned into one of those logical syllogism exercises
where Vince or Art start with "The Sky Is Red" or "You Do Not Exist" and the
class then attempts to support or refute the premise.

And of course all without the benefit of training or a disciplined mind(s) .
.. .

Steve Swartz

Subject: Why didn't GWB join the U.S. Air Force ?
From: "Prof. Vincent Brannigan"
Date: 7/17/2004 5:00 AM Pacific Standard Time

Amendment X
:
:The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor
rohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states

respectively,
r to the people.

The interesting thing is that while we now have both an administration and
Supreme Court that gives preference to states rights, the Federal

government
now has never been larger, more powerful and spent more than ever before.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old July 17th 04, 03:34 PM
sanjian

Ian MacLure wrote:
"sanjian" wrote in

[snip]

The big question is why we talk about the popular vote as if it's
actually fully counted.

That is the ideal for which the system strives. Its never
going to be 100% error free ( thats a shyster's fantasy )
but we should be able to make it pretty darn close.
However no matter how idiot proof we make balloting we'll
always find ourselves one step behind the really cutting edge
idiots.

That's all fine and good, but when we are noticably, and preventably far
from that idea, we've got to question the value of any conclusions drawn
from that idea. Votes that were overwhelmingly for one side in the election
were discarded, and legally so, in order to save time an money. While that
is perfectly acceptable for the given conditions, it greatly limits our
ability to draw other conclusions from the election, and invalidates the
popular vote.

Old July 17th 04, 03:36 PM
sanjian

Billy Preston wrote:
Why did he become a weekend warrior when
he could have become a full-time warrior?

Suppose you went to a recruiter and they said they didn't have any
pilot
slots available. You could join the USAF and take what they have.

You could go over to the Guard outfit and find that they have some
slots available, but you have to join the Guard first.

Suppose you join the Guard as enlisted, get selected for pilot
training, and receive a commission.

Presto, you're a pilot trainee, instead of a clerk in the payroll
office, or stuck in a rocket silo in Montana.

Would you rather be a pilot, or be a PFC burning **** in
Sihanoukville?

Well, other than the fact that there is no PFC in the Air Force... But the
rest of your argument pretty much stands.

Old July 17th 04, 03:59 PM
Billy Preston

"John A. Stovall" wrote

Being in a rocket silo in Montana is fine duty why are you knocking
it?

Pilots run checklists and take-off. Missile officers run checklists, eat breakfast,
then more checklists, eat lunch, then run more checklists, then eat dinner, then
run more checklists, then eat mid-night chow, then run more checklists, then eat
breakfast, then they go back to the O-Club for lunch, and then they go home and
run the wives checklist... The damned rockets just sit there, until we get tired of
paying for them.

"The best fighter ever designed is a rocket out of Montana"--General LeMay, USAF

Old July 17th 04, 04:28 PM
Brooks Gregory

--

Let me introduce you to John Kerry:

http://www.vietnamveteransagainstjohnkerry.com/
http://www.pow-miafamilies.org/
http://www.jpac.pacom.mil/
http://www.aiipowmia.com/ssc/ssctest.html
http://ice.he.net/~freepnet/kerry/index.php

Brooks Gregory

Old July 17th 04, 05:27 PM
Billy Preston

"Brooks Gregory" wrote

Let me introduce you to John Kerry:

Khrushchev had more personality, and a better 5 year plan
for the Collectives...

Old July 17th 04, 05:28 PM
Billy Preston

"John A. Stovall" wrote

And what does the nonsense you posted have to do with missile silo
duty?

Brooks (like all nerds) has a pocket protector...

Old July 17th 04, 05:39 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:40:17 GMT, John A. Stovall
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:28:50 GMT, "Brooks Gregory"
wrote:

"John A. Stovall" wrote

Being in a rocket silo in Montana is fine duty why are you knocking
it?

And what does the nonsense you posted have to do with missile silo
duty?

Dunno for the life of me why you jumped in with such a strong defense
of missile silo duty. The initial argument was regarding the question
of whether you had a choice of going to pilot training in the ANG or
going into the USAF with no pilot training slots available, which
would be a better option. Seems like if you had aspirations to fly
jets and one route was open while another one wasn't, the choice would
be the classic "no-brainer."

During the period in question, I was running the Training Command
personnel shop that handled UPT/UNT/UPT-H input and output
assignments. The place we put pilot training washouts who didn't want
to got to navigator training was either missile officer or weapons
controller (GCI scope-dope.)

I don't recall anyone facing the assignment to missiles as being
particularly grateful nor viewing it as "fine duty." They did get
pretty polyester ascots, vinyl caps and a chance to get a Master's
degree during their days in the hole. And, other than cholesterol
build-up from chow hall food, the hazards during the Vietnam war were
minimal in the silo. Casualties were low and few POW's were taken.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old July 17th 04, 06:10 PM
Billy Preston

"Ed Rasimus" wrote

During the period in question, I was running the Training Command
personnel shop that handled UPT/UNT/UPT-H input and output
assignments.

So you're the SOB! :-)

Actually, I wanted to fly in the USAF, but I ran out of money in college.
So I enlisted and tried to go bootstrap to finish my degree. Alas, after the
war ended, the USAF had no use for bootstrap, and only selected a few
during my tour. Anyway, my life was better as a male stripper...

The one thing I liked about the 70's, was you could use your GI bill to
not only get your Instrument and Commercial, but also the initial training.
My first assignment to Kingsley Field had a wonderful Piper school. I used
to love getting cleared for the ILS, and then watch the F-106's fly two
orbits waiting for me, ha. "Tower, permission for a stop and go?" "Negative!
get that piece of **** off the runway!"

There is something worse than missiles, and it's called Long Range
Radar (LRR)...