737 off runway, Pearson Toronto

Old August 3rd 05, 08:40 AM
Thomas Borchert

Marty,

Get a load of what this passenger "lady" has to say.
Being alive and unhurt wasn't enough, maybe she expected a personal escort
to a plush RV with champagne & caviar?

Well, we're lucky it happened in Canada. Otherwise she would get millions
after her lawyers sued the airline for mental distress or something.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 3rd 05, 08:40 AM
Thomas Borchert

Matt,

Reports are that it was struck by lighting AFTER it landed, and lost all
controls.

Ah, one of the perils of fly by wire...

Ok, I'll bite. Gimme facts. You seem to know more than the accident
investigators. Spell it out. PUT UP OUR SHUP UP!

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 3rd 05, 10:56 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 01:19:58 GMT, Maule Driver
wrote:

The alternative would have been something like, "KLM: we have a low
fuel emergency, request diversion for immediate landing",

Surely EMERGENCY is a more serious call than PAN? All the P-word does
is tell everyone: shut up and listen to what I have to say.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old August 3rd 05, 10:59 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 22:16:35 -0400, "Peter R."
wrote:

What is interesting in the case of the KLM aircraft is that the pilot first
stated PAN-PAN, then continued by saying "Low fuel emergency."

What's beautiful about Pan is that the listener doesn't have to wait
for the explanation. His ears are up, his adrenaline is already
running, he KNOWS that this one is out of the ordinary and will
require his very best efforts.

Whereas: XXXX, This is / I am --- is so much wasted talk. That's why
we have these MAYDAY and PAN calls (and, in maritime, SECURITE as
well).

Old August 3rd 05, 11:39 AM
Matt Whiting

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Matt,

Reports are that it was struck by lighting AFTER it landed, and lost all
controls.

Ah, one of the perils of fly by wire...

Ok, I'll bite. Gimme facts. You seem to know more than the accident
investigators. Spell it out. PUT UP OUR SHUP UP!

It was a tonque-in-cheek comment. Seems like you were about the only
one who didn't get it. As for your last comment, take a hike on a short
pier.

Matt
Old August 3rd 05, 12:27 PM
Thomas Borchert

Matt,

It was a tonque-in-cheek comment.

In that case, sorry. No way for me to get it. Maybe I should have taken
that pill before going online ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 3rd 05, 12:42 PM
Gary Drescher

"Morgans" wrote in message
It was my understanding that a Pan gave you clear communications, by
getting
all other calls on the freq. stopped. Close?

Since "pan-pan" declares an emergency (specifically, an urgency condition),
others on the frequency will presumably have the good sense to yield, though
I'm not aware of any regulation that explicitly requires them to do so.

--Gary

Old August 3rd 05, 12:47 PM
Gary Drescher

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
"Morgans" wrote in message
It was my understanding that a Pan gave you clear communications, by
getting
all other calls on the freq. stopped. Close?

Since "pan-pan" declares an emergency (specifically, an urgency
condition), others on the frequency will presumably have the good sense to
yield, though I'm not aware of any regulation that explicitly requires
them to do so.

To follow up: although I still don't know of a corresponding regulation, AIM
6-3-1d does stipulate that distress calls have top priority, and urgency
calls have priority over everything but distress calls.

--Gary

Old August 3rd 05, 12:51 PM
Dan Luke

"Marty" wrote:

Damn airline got her shoes muddy! Ohhhh, the humanity!

Hee-hee! Good one.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 3rd 05, 12:53 PM
Gary Drescher

wrote:

The alternative would have been something like, "KLM: we have a low
fuel emergency, request diversion for immediate landing",

Surely EMERGENCY is a more serious call than PAN? All the P-word does
is tell everyone: shut up and listen to what I have to say.

No, according to AIM 6-1-2a and the P/CG, "pan-pan" declares an urgency
condition, which *is* an emergency condition. But it is a less immediate
emergency than a distress condition, which is signaled by "mayday". (The
transponder code 7700 is used to signal *either* a distress or urgency
condition, according to AIM 6-3-2a2b).

--Gary

Pilots Slick Piloting 4 November 20th 04 11:21 AM
Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep C J Campbell Instrument Flight Rules 117 July 22nd 04 05:40 PM
Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep C J Campbell Piloting 114 July 22nd 04 05:40 PM
F15E's trounced by Eurofighters John Cook Military Aviation 193 April 11th 04 03:33 AM
Rwy incursions Hankal Piloting 10 November 16th 03 02:33 AM