PowerFlarm Range Analysis for "WX" - 15M Nats Yreka 2014

Old March 23rd 15, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default PowerFlarm Range Analysis for "WX" - 15M Nats Yreka 2014

Gentlemen,

Here's my range analysis for the 15M Open U.S. Nationals, two practice days and eight contest days. One has to divide files into 4MB chunks or smaller, so there are Parts 1, 2 and 3:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cr9fasl47z...art1..IGC?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zs76x6en6l...art2..IGC?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahz8go0e2c...art3..IGC?dl=1

Pretty good coverage averaging 6-9km in range for whole contest. Here's my antenna arrangement on the Discus 2A. Not particularly clean, but very effective. Since then I've cleaned up the angle acrylic plastic brackets that the dipoles are double stick taped to. Antenna mounts are velcroed on the panel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lufmnwn9ew...600.jpg?dl =1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3rbjrwp0x...0x600.jpg?dl=0

Walt Rogers WX
Old March 23rd 15, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

UPDATED LINKS - Version 1.0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltumxv22hi...rt1.pn g?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1gycgqije...rt2.pn g?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x15wlx0bg4...rt3.pn g?dl=1

Pretty good coverage averaging 6-9km in range for whole contest. Here's my antenna arrangement on the Discus 2A. Not particularly clean, but very effective. Since then I've cleaned up the angle acrylic plastic brackets that the dipoles are double stick taped to. Antenna mounts are velcroed on the panel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lufmnwn9ew...600.jpg?dl =1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3rbjrwp0x...0x600.jpg?dl=1

Walt Rogers WX
Old March 24th 15, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Your performance is way better than my Euro Flarm fitted inside the LX 9000.

My problem with the range analysis tool is that it only tells you where you did pick up gliders. It does not tell you about the Flarm equipped gliders which you did not pick up. Did you never get contacts (or gliders) 'suddenly' appear closer than say 2k?

Mark Burton

Old March 24th 15, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 12:32:03 AM UTC-7, waremark wrote:
Your performance is way better than my Euro Flarm fitted inside the LX 9000.

My problem with the range analysis tool is that it only tells you where you did pick up gliders. It does not tell you about the Flarm equipped gliders which you did not pick up. Did you never get contacts (or gliders) 'suddenly' appear closer than say 2k?

Mark Burton

Well, over my last two seasons of flying nobody seemed to "sneak" up on me with the flarm signal. However, it is obvious when following others that when you get behind and slightly below them in a glider with a carbon fuselage, that the signal drops out pretty quickly... say in less than one mile. One possible solution would be to put a second antenna (receive only is all that's available) on the bottom. That way, someone else couldn't sneak up on me. Does anyone else out there have experience with a second flarm antenna?

Walt Rogers
Old March 25th 15, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le mardi 24 mars 2015 21:23:51 UTC+1, WaltWX a écrit*:
[...]

I have an antenna splitter installed. First antenna is a stripe antenna in the canopy (laterally & slightly behind my head), second antenna is the standard lambda/4 "toothpick" by the gear door. The Ventus cM is all carbon, and I have 5 km reception all around with a Flarm 5.
Old March 25th 15, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

....And you don't mind the approximately 50% loss (3.5 dB) in signal
strength due to the splitter? I don't want to figure out how that
affects detection range.

snip

--
Dan Marotta

Old March 25th 15, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

On Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 7:13:59 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
...And you don't mind the approximately 50% loss (3.5 dB) in signal

It doesn't work that way Dan. With two antennas gathering energy from the same surroundings, the effect is primarily an alteration of pattern.

The greater concern might be polarization. PowerFlarm is a vertical polarization system. I'm not exactly sure what TW means by "stripe antenna in the canopy (laterally & slightly behind my head)". That doesn't sound vertical polarized; hopefully I'm just not visualizing that correctly.

Old March 26th 15, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 6:24:34 AM UTC-7, Tango Whisky wrote:
[...]

As pointed out an antenna splitter is not what you should be using. That will lead to signal reinforcement or cancellation depending on the relative phase of the signals from each antenna. It might help you when one receiver antenna is significantly blocked from receiving the transmitter signal but can cause serious reception problems when a transmitter signal is visible to both antenna. This is just not the way to to this. The proper way is to utilize a device designed for two antennas, like with the PowerFLARM, which essentially contains two separate receiver front ends, one for each antenna.. And various FLARM documentation specifically says don't use an antenna splitter... for this exact reason.

Old March 26th 15, 11:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le jeudi 26 mars 2015 03:11:38 UTC+1, Darryl Ramm a écrit*:
[...]

The splitter I have is from Bernd Dolba (www.dolba.de - German only, sorry for that...)and was designed for Flarm's. Both antennas are polarized 30-45° from vertical.
I don't care about limiting contact range to 5 km, but I care a lot about not having blind spots. With an all-carbon fuselage, you can't avoid blind spots if you're just using one antenna.

Cheers
Bert