Android Skew-t app

Old March 27th 14, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver

Default Android Skew-t app

Hi All,

As a recently licensed pilot I decided it would be a good idea to learn more about soaring weather prediction, specifically the workings of a Skew-t graph.

I combined that with learning more about developing Apps for Android, so yesterday I published by first Android App.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.ajw.skewt

I hope many of you find this useful.

I welcome your suggestions for improvements. As I said, this is new to me.

Enjoy.

Alan
Old March 27th 14, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Is this based on RAOBs only? Any way to include forecast soundings for those of us who dont live near a.weather balloon?

I like the presentation at first glance
Old March 27th 14, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:13:37 AM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
Is this based on RAOBs only? Any way to include forecast soundings for those of us who dont live near a.weather balloon?

I'm happy to make changes that are needed.

The app uses the default settings from http://rucsoundings.noaa.gov/, setting the time and the airport code. This means the default source is Op40.
Old March 27th 14, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Oh OK that's alright.
Old March 27th 14, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Cool.
It currently is not displaying numbers in the airport ID.
Perhaps a "pro" version could include the ability to input Lat/Lon with a couple of user-created shortcuts?
Nice job,
Jim
Old March 27th 14, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 12:27:35 PM UTC-6, JS wrote:
Cool.

It currently is not displaying numbers in the airport ID.

Perhaps a "pro" version could include the ability to input Lat/Lon with a couple of user-created shortcuts?

Nice job,

Jim

My validation code is stripping the number. I will add some Lat/Long validation so either will work.
Old March 27th 14, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:19:20 PM UTC-6, kiwiindenver wrote:
On Thursday, March 27, 2014 12:27:35 PM UTC-6, JS wrote:

Cool.

It currently is not displaying numbers in the airport ID.

Perhaps a "pro" version could include the ability to input Lat/Lon with a couple of user-created shortcuts?

Nice job,

Jim

My validation code is stripping the number. I will add some Lat/Long validation so either will work.

I have just published a new version that has initial support for Lat/Long. I will improve this later. This version is a quick fix to get people up and running and hence help get more feedback.

For now, enter a comma separated pair of decimal lat/long using negative for South and West. This is the same way you enter lat/long into the NOAA site.

PS. It may take a few hours to push this version through the Google servers.
Old March 28th 14, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Sweet. Being able to save and name "favorite" locations would be great.

It seems like there is some round up on the ground elevation? When I put KHUT, Hutchinson, KS, in it has the base altitude at 2000 ft when it should be more like 1600.

Also looks like the default time is 8 am to 7 pm. That's OK but I think by this time of the day the Op40 should be able to forecast to tomorrow morning which would be nice. Perhaps you could have it start at 8 am of the current day and go out as far as the forecast is available?

Next of course will be to include the other models...

I really like this presentation and thinking will come in really handy.
Old March 28th 14, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:12:02 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
Sweet. Being able to save and name "favorite" locations would be great.

It seems like there is some round up on the ground elevation? When I put KHUT, Hutchinson, KS, in it has the base altitude at 2000 ft when it should be more like 1600.

Also looks like the default time is 8 am to 7 pm. That's OK but I think by this time of the day the Op40 should be able to forecast to tomorrow morning which would be nice. Perhaps you could have it start at 8 am of the current day and go out as far as the forecast is available?

Next of course will be to include the other models...

I really like this presentation and thinking will come in really handy.

Thanks for that feedback. I'll take a look at those problems.

Your right about the time, I set those limits thinking it would easily cover most soaring needs. I'll do some more investigation to see what data is available for download.

How many favourites do you think you would want? How many would you use regularly? How many would you use once in a blue moon?

How important are the other models? Would this be a set & forget item or something you change regularly?
Old March 28th 14, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I tried to use the identifier for Moriarty, NM, K0E0, and get the error,
[Failed to load KE!]. Does the program not accept numerals (zero) in the
identifier? Still working on the conversion to decimal Lat/Lon...

"kiwiindenver" wrote in message
[...]

skew-t access Peter von Tresckow Soaring 5 October 10th 13 09:02 PM
Android XC Soar Paul Besing Soaring 3 May 3rd 11 09:39 PM
XCSoar for Android Sean Fidler Soaring 6 March 21st 11 05:50 PM
Android App Mike[_36_] Soaring 8 July 14th 10 10:53 AM
Skew-T charts on Dr. Jacks ? Doug Snyder Soaring 3 April 25th 05 07:36 PM