What F-102 units were called up for Viet Nam

Old September 5th 03, 06:22 PM
Tarver Engineering

Default What F-102 units were called up for Viet Nam

I want this for a political newsgroup.

thanks

Old September 5th 03, 10:31 PM
Harley W. Daugehrty

"Scott Peterson" wrote in message
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

I want this for a political newsgroup.

thanks

I don't think any were. This plane was strictly an interceptor for
shooting down bombers. No guns, no ground attack capability.
Absolutely no use in Viet Nam.

Adding a political comment, when George W. joined the Texas ANG, he
was assigned to an F-102 unit. Some of the comments about that were
that it was a very safe unit to join as there was no possibility of
overseas assignment.

Scott Peterson

The things that come to those that
wait may be the things left by those
who got there first.

If I remember correctly the F-102 was not exactly a "safe" aircraft, it was
a rather of a challenge to fly and its mission profile in a nuclear exchange
was not desirable at all.

Harley W. Daugherty

Old September 5th 03, 10:33 PM
Aerophotos

The F102 operated out of Tan Son Nhut and also on detachment from Osan,
South Korea i understand.... they were used as point interceptors and
f102 chase planes for B52 raids in out of country sorties and sometimes
used their IR ball as a 2.75 FFAR aim point for ground attack missions.

1 x F102 was shot down by a Mig in 67 i think.

Old September 5th 03, 10:48 PM
Tex Houston

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

I want this for a political newsgroup.

thanks

I don't think any were. This plane was strictly an interceptor for
shooting down bombers. No guns, no ground attack capability.
Absolutely no use in Viet Nam.

Adding a political comment, when George W. joined the Texas ANG, he
was assigned to an F-102 unit. Some of the comments about that were
that it was a very safe unit to join as there was no possibility of
overseas assignment.

Scott Peterson

F-102s did indeed serve in SEA and early on too. The 509FIS sent F-102s to
Tan Son Nhut on 21 March 1962 under Project "Water Glass" and they remained
under Project "Candy Machine". In addition to Tan Son Nhut tey were
stationed at Bien Hoa. Some of these deployments were from the unit at
Clark. The F-102s also served at Don Muang from 1961-1964. I think they
were also at Udorn at one time (but maybe not...it was a long time ago).
Since so many F-102 were ANG service in SEA was opened to them on an
individual basis under Project "Palace Alert".

I did not see the original message (I don't see Tarver messages unless
quoted) so I don't know whose ox I'm goring.

Tex Houston

Old September 5th 03, 10:53 PM
Steve Hix

In article ,
Scott Peterson wrote:

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

I want this for a political newsgroup.

thanks

I don't think any were. This plane was strictly an interceptor for
shooting down bombers. No guns, no ground attack capability.
Absolutely no use in Viet Nam.

One F-102 was lost over North Vietnam.

82nd FIS flew F-102s out of Bien Hoa in 1968.

509th FIS flew out of Tan Son Nhut and Danang and
from Don Muang (Thailand) in 1968.

Old September 5th 03, 10:58 PM
MikeT

I did some searching, at:
http://www.arthurhu.com/index/militry.htm
I found this
"Greatest Clunkers of Vietnam
-----------
F102 - Nothing to shoot down, trials were made of using Falcons
against ground targets"

http://www.war-stories.com/t_jensen.htm
Numerous references to NVA attacks where F-102 alert aircraft were parked.

http://www.dposs.com/t_jensen-dab-bush-account-1965.htm
also talks about NVA attacks and F102s. There are also some pics available.

I do remember that the F102s were deployed to VietName but do not remember
what the unit was involved or how long they stayed, not long for sure since
there was nothing for them to do.

MikeT

Old September 6th 03, 02:35 AM
av8r

Hi John

Good timing. I'm presently working on a journal article about F-102 ops
in Viet Nam and Thailand code named 'Water Glass' and 'Candy Time'.

The following active duty units operated the Convair the F-102A and
TF-102's in Viet Nam and Thailand:

64th FIS/405th FW
82nd FIS/51st FW
509th FIS/405th FW

Cheers...Chris

Old September 6th 03, 03:49 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

I want this for a political newsgroup.

thanks

I don't think any were. This plane was strictly an interceptor for
shooting down bombers. No guns, no ground attack capability.
Absolutely no use in Viet Nam.

Wrong. F-102's did serve in both Vietnam and Thailand (which is why
every once in a while you see a photo of a Delta Dagger in SEA camo).
If you can get a hold of an old National Geographic from that period
that covered the war (sorry, can't recall which issue...), you'll note
that a photo of Tan Son Nhut (or whatever the spelling was) showed
F-102's sitting in sandbagged revetments. I believe three were listed
as combat losses, one to a Mig, the remaining two to ground fire, and
a few others were lost during VC sapper/rocket attacks on the ground.
Served as interceptors, some escort duty, and even ground
attack--there was even an experamental program where they went after
NVA cooking fires at night with their IR Falcons. They also used their
12 unguided rockets against ground targets.

Adding a political comment, when George W. joined the Texas ANG, he
was assigned to an F-102 unit. Some of the comments about that were
that it was a very safe unit to join as there was no possibility of
overseas assignment.

Very strange, since the ANG was sending F-102 folks over to SEA during
the war on rotations. ISTR that Bush's then-commanding officer once
commented that ol' GWB volunteered for that duty, but was not
submitted because he lacked suffcient stick time in comparison to the
more experienced pilots who did participate.

Brooks

Old September 6th 03, 04:23 AM
David Hartung

"av8r" wrote in message
Hi John

Good timing. I'm presently working on a journal article about F-102 ops
in Viet Nam and Thailand code named 'Water Glass' and 'Candy Time'.

The following active duty units operated the Convair the F-102A and
TF-102's in Viet Nam and Thailand:

64th FIS/405th FW
82nd FIS/51st FW
509th FIS/405th FW

Just out of curiosity, does your research make any reference to 102 pilots
from the 176th FIS?Wis.ANG, serving in Viet Nam. This was my Dad's old
outfit.

Old September 6th 03, 04:47 AM
Scott Peterson

"Harley W. Daugehrty" wrote:

If I remember correctly the F-102 was not exactly a "safe" aircraft, it was
a rather of a challenge to fly and its mission profile in a nuclear exchange
was not desirable at all.

May be, but by the 1970's that was all in the past. Patrolling over
the Gulf of Mexico for waves of bombers from Cuba was hardly the stuff
of legend.

To everyone else who did correct me about the use of the F-102 in SEA,
thank for the information.

Scott Peterson

Seen it all, done it all,
can't remember most of it.