Tows in Utah?

Old December 17th 13, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Tows in Utah?

A friend and I are planning a soaring safari this summer and would love to
stop in Utah for a flight or maybe a week of flying. I've been to Parowan
twice and loved it!

Are there any places in UT where tows can be had at any time?

Old December 17th 13, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

There are four locations in Northern Utah that offer regular towing operations:
- Heber City (Tuesday-Sunday)
- Morgan County
- Cedar Valley
- Logan

In my humble opinion, all are pretty spectacular venues, each with a distinct character. For more information specifically on Morgan, you can contact me directly using the webmaster link on my website at http://www.soaringdata.info.

There are also the planned events in Nephi starting June 30 and the first week in August. More information at ssa.org on those.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Old December 18th 13, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, December 17, 2013 11:00:56 AM UTC-8, 2KA wrote:
There are four locations in Northern Utah that offer regular towing operations:

- Heber City (Tuesday-Sunday)

- Morgan County

- Cedar Valley

- Logan

In my humble opinion, all are pretty spectacular venues, each with a distinct character. For more information specifically on Morgan, you can contact me directly using the webmaster link on my website at http://www.soaringdata.info.

There are also the planned events in Nephi starting June 30 and the first week in August. More information at ssa.org on those.
Lynn Alley

"2KA"

Dan,

I'd highly recommend you consider including the Nephi OLC/Cross-Country Camp in your itinerary ( June30-July 5) if your schedule can accommodate it. I've flown most of the Utah sites (a lot, but not as much as the locals). Nephi gets started earlier, has fewer technical aspects associated with getting up and out and offers spectacular soaring. Last year's Nephi event was well run, attracted a fun group of experienced and budding XC pilots, and had unbelievable support from the local community. The airport is gorgeous, well-maintained with a long and wide paved runway that is NOTAMed closed during the soaring day for the event (there's no power traffic anyway). They'll have a bunch of tow capacity at your disposal, ground support to keep track of you, social events. It's a boatload of fun.

9B
Old December 18th 13, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, December 17, 2013 6:45:18 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

9B,
Your check is in the mail... Thanks for the kind words about 2013's Nephi event. Yes, we all had a great time. The 2014 Nephi event is quickly filling up and will likely end up being one of the largest soaring events in the country next year. We fully expect to have a lot of fun, fly a long way and make lots of new friends. Here is a quick link to the event for more info and to sign up.

http://www.ssa.org/Contests?cid=2267

I'll take my organizer hat off and sit back down now...
Bruno - B4
Old December 18th 13, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Our schedule does not fall within the timeframe of the organized events and
we're looking for fun flying only instead of contests. Actually, I've got
to break the bad news to the proprieter at Sundance Aviation that I won't be
available to tow for whatever contest will be going on during our absence
from Moriarty.

Old December 18th 13, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:47:04 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
Thanks! I'll check them out.

Our schedule does not fall within the timeframe of the organized events and
we're looking for fun flying only instead of contests."

Pity - It'll be fun regardless I'm sure.

Just to clarify for other readers' benefit. The Nephi OLC/Cross-Country camp isn't a contest - it's organized as a very laid back cross-country flying event.

Region 9 North is also being held at Nephi later in the summer - that WILL be a contest.

9B
Old December 18th 13, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:12:57 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:47:04 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Our schedule does not fall within the timeframe of the organized events and

we're looking for fun flying only instead of contests."

Pity - It'll be fun regardless I'm sure.

Just to clarify for other readers' benefit. The Nephi OLC/Cross-Country camp isn't a contest - it's organized as a very laid back cross-country flying event.

Region 9 North is also being held at Nephi later in the summer - that WILL be a contest.

9B

Good points. Both events are SSA sanctioned 'air meets' and as such qualify for the insurance discount and SSA online registration.

Frank Whiteley

Old December 18th 13, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Can tows be arranged at Nephi around 14-15 June?

Both Logan and Morgan County look like what we're looking for: A place for
us to fly and for our wives to hike in the mountains. Our original intent
was to go to Minden, but a shorter drive and the spactacular Wasach Range
would certainly satisfy me!

Who would we contact at Logan and Morgan?

Old December 19th 13, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

For Morgan, you can contact me. Email me using the webmaster link on my website at http://www.soaringdata.info.

We'll be open starting April 1, pretty much any day that weather allows until after Thanksgiving. You do, however, need to give some prior notice so that we can arrange for a towpilot to be there (except for Saturdays). It is a beautiful place to fly, with a very laid back atmosphere, right at the foot of the Snow Basin Winter/Summer resort. Wasatch front hotels, restaurants, and shopping are 15 minutes away. Fancy upscale amenities at Park City about an hour.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Old December 19th 13, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Not much interest in fancy or upscale, but the rest sounds great!

Hoping there'll be "reasonable" accomodations nearby...

Tows Downturn Steve Freeman Soaring 12 June 2nd 12 10:39 AM
Tows at Ely [email protected] Soaring 1 April 22nd 09 12:45 PM
USA: Places to get tows in ID, OR and WA [email protected] Soaring 7 January 26th 06 04:29 PM
Tows in Southern Utah in March? ttaylor at cc.usu.edu Soaring 2 February 4th 05 02:04 AM
Tows available near Tucson? Janus2k Soaring 2 May 6th 04 06:28 AM