Availability of the book Darker shades of blue: the rogue pilot byTony Kern

Old December 24th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
G. Sylvester

Default Availability of the book Darker shades of blue: the rogue pilot byTony Kern

I've read Flight Discipline by Anthony Kern. I thought it was pretty
good. I've heard Darker shades of blue : the rogue pilot is a must
read. I realize it is out of print but why is some aviation book going
for $100-200 USD used? Is it that much of a classic? Is there that
much of a demand and it is still out of print? Any sources of getting
this at a semi-reasonable price?

Gerald Sylvester
Old December 25th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
N2310D

"G. Sylvester" wrote in message
t...
I've read Flight Discipline by Anthony Kern. I thought it was pretty
good. I've heard Darker shades of blue : the rogue pilot is a must read.
I realize it is out of print but why is some aviation book going for
$100-200 USD used? Is it that much of a classic? Is there that much of a
demand and it is still out of print? Any sources of getting this at a
semi-reasonable price?

Gerald Sylvester

RIDICULOUS!!!

Try this:
http://bergware.net/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/...0349278(google)
for $26 (until the store finds out what's going on on Ebay.

That shows the power of greed.

Old December 25th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
G. Sylvester

N2310D wrote:

Try this:
http://bergware.net/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/...0349278(google)
for $26 (until the store finds out what's going on on Ebay.
That shows the power of greed.

thanks. That's a little better than this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Darker-Shades-of...QQcmdZViewItem

and I've see some places at twice that price.

Gerald
Old December 25th 06, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 20:30:35 GMT, "G. Sylvester"
wrote in
:

I've read Flight Discipline by Anthony Kern. I thought it was pretty
good. I've heard Darker Shades of Blue: The Rogue Pilot is a must
read.

It sounds like is should be mandatory reading for fighter pilots:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...sbn=0070349274
Product Details
ISBN: 0070349274
ISBN-13: 9780070349278
Format: Hardcover, 248pp
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Companies, The
From the Publisher
From the days of the early barnstormers, when crowd-thrilling,
daredevil pilots pushed aviation out of its infancy, "rogue"
behavior, as we refer to it today, has been a constant. Yet far
too many modern pilots - smitten by the romance and derring-do of
their heroes, as well as their own blind desire to test the limits
of their skills - overlook the terrible, sometimes deadly price
that rogue attitudes can exact. Now, for the first time, U.S. Air
Force pilot and military training expert Tony Kern sounds the
alarm in Darker Shades of Blue: The Rogue Pilot. At its heart,
this book is a vitally instructive cautionary tale in which the
rogue aviator is unmasked, and rogueism is examined for what it
is: the dark side of good airmanship. It is meant to serve as a
logical starting point for debate and self-analysis among pilots,
students, instructors, and others, all in the hope that
destructive flight behaviors can one day be eliminated. The book's
eye-opening collection of essays and case studies are all true,
depicting events as they happened. Each of these studies is
designed to chisel out the features of these dangerous
risk-takers, while exposing their denial and false sense of glory
that lead to needless, shameful tragedy.

Customer Reviews
Number of reviews: 1 Average Rating:
Write your own review!

Showing 1-1

Tom Boren ), a chief of police in Kansas,
03/13/2006
How & why our best professionals 'crash & burn'.
Tony Kern looks behind the stories of 'rogue' pilots to expose the
personalities and traits that are usually associated with
exceptional, positive attributes. Although the book is studying
pilots this work should be considered recommended reading for
other professions where men and women of high energy occupations,
high personal achievement, and high stress occupations lead people
to make reckless and seemingly needless mistakes. The author
challenges managers and supervisors to take control of these
potential rogues by using the standards, rules and policies
already in place in most professions to protect the rogue from
himself and the ultimate results of their actions.

[rec.aviation.military added]
Old December 28th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
G. Sylvester

I inquired about the book at 3 different place. Two didn't have it.
The third listed in another posting had it.....well almost. They sold
the last one a few weeks ago. So I still cant' find it. Errrr......
unless I pay this:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...2Bkern%26x%3D0

$195. Yea right, I'll buy 3 copies then.

Gerald Sylvester