IFR in the 1930's

Old August 31st 03, 12:05 AM
Badwater Bill

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:30:47 -0400, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Badwater Bill wrote:

The turn needle is much better.

I had heard this, so that's what I put in my Maule when I bought it. Still
don't know why it's better, though.

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.

I'll tell you why. The needle only shows a real turn of the nose.
The turn coordinator will bank on you if you rock the wings and the
nose stays pointed straight ahead. So, the turn coordinator gives you
fales information. If you hit a bump and your left wing lifts
momentarily, the turn coordinator will bank right on you when you
aren't turning at all. Hell, in turbulence the son of a bitch is all
over the place and is unusable. The needle works on a gyro that ONLY
makes the needle move if your nose is changing heading just like the
DG.

You can see the problem. The turn coordinator gives you too much
information but it gives the same indication if you bank or if you
stomp a peddle. That's no good. You don't know what really is
happening...it could be either.

Badwater, "you can stuff them damn turn coordinators" Bill
Old August 31st 03, 12:07 AM
Badwater Bill

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:28:43 -0400, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Dick wrote:

Staring at my empty instrument panel while considering which instruments and
their placement, I got wondering how old time Mail pilots flew if caught in
IFR conditions.

By the 30's, the mail was going by airlines. I assume you mean the old open
cockpit planes of the 20's (like the Pitcairn Mailwing or the earlier Jennie).
A skilled pilot can keep one straight and level by the feel of the relative
wind on his cheeks and the sound of the wind in the wires, combined with the
ball and altimeter. This still isn't as good as a gyro stack, and the accident
rate was high. Lots of the pilots simply put the mail on the train if things
got too bad.

Lindberg discusses some of this in one of his books, and Gann has at least two
novels about the period. I've also read an old book by a veteran mail pilot,
but I have no idea any more what the title was (I checked it out from either
the Knoxville public library or the Bearden High School library in the 60's).

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.

You guys must not remember the "Cat and Duck" method of flying
instruments. Hell, when I was a kid in the 1950's that's all we used.
Any of you young punks know what the hell I'm talking about?

BWB
Old August 31st 03, 01:19 AM
Barnyard BOb --

Lindberg discusses some of this in one of his books, and Gann has at least two
novels about the period. I've also read an old book by a veteran mail pilot,
but I have no idea any more what the title was (I checked it out from either
the Knoxville public library or the Bearden High School library in the 60's).

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.

You guys must not remember the "Cat and Duck" method of flying
instruments. Hell, when I was a kid in the 1950's that's all we used.
Any of you young punks know what the hell I'm talking about?

BWB

Hey -
I'm still a young punk....
at heart.

http://www.skyhawk.org/2D/tinduck.htm
http://www.flippyscatpage.com/instrument.html
http://jokes-quotes.com/contentid-239.html
http://www.eaa445.org/instrument.htm
http://www.ahajokes.com/ani031.html
http://monster-island.org/tinashumor/humor/catduck.html

Barnyard BOb -- 50 years of flight
Old August 31st 03, 02:15 AM
Mike Beede

In article et, Bill Daniels wrote:

Every figured what you would do if
the wet compass goes TA while you are in the soup and all you have is a
manually set DG? Been there.

Declare an emergency and request a no-gyro approach. If I'm out
of radar coverage, then I guess I'd just start compensating for drift
as though there were wind, even though it's really precession error.
That would get kind of difficult eventually, so I might be tempted to
reset it based on what I thought the winds really were when I appeared
to be tracking a course accurately. It probably wouldn't be any
worse afterwards....

Did you have some suggestions in mind when you asked the
question? If so, I for one would like to hear them.

Regards,

Mike
Old August 31st 03, 02:18 AM
Mike Beede

In article , Jan Carlsson wrote:

Good reading is the "I could never be so lucky again"
and also "The Spirit of ST Louis" (1953) The last one tells a lot about how
it was to be a mail pilot in the 20's

_The Spirit of St. Louis_ is one of those books all pilots should read
(because they'll probably like them), like _Fate is the Hunter_. If I
recall correctly, Lindberg talks about getting caught over a deck
and letting the plane find its own way down while he walks. I think
*that's* how the mail pilots handled hard IFR. (If it's really in a
different book, it still doesn't change the recommendation to read
it!).

Mike
Old August 31st 03, 03:07 AM
Bill Daniels

"Mike Beede" wrote in message
In article et, Bill

Daniels wrote:

Every figured what you would do if
the wet compass goes TA while you are in the soup and all you have is a
manually set DG? Been there.

Declare an emergency and request a no-gyro approach. If I'm out
of radar coverage, then I guess I'd just start compensating for drift
as though there were wind, even though it's really precession error.
That would get kind of difficult eventually, so I might be tempted to
reset it based on what I thought the winds really were when I appeared
to be tracking a course accurately. It probably wouldn't be any
worse afterwards....

Did you have some suggestions in mind when you asked the
question? If so, I for one would like to hear them.

Regards,

Mike

I declared an emergency and requested a no-gyro approach as you suggested -
even though I had gyros. Then, because I had quite a ways to go to the
first IFR runway, I figured out that the GPS ground track was almost as good
as a wet compass. I just set the DG to the GPS ground track and ignored
wind - which worked as long as I didn't change heading often. That got me
into approach's radar coverage and the no-gyro approach worked from there.

My CFII had told me that there was no backup for a wet compass because "they
never fail" - baloney, the glass cracked and all the fluid ran down the
instrument panel. After that, it wouldn't move. Made me think.

Bill Daniels

Old August 31st 03, 11:00 AM
Paul Mennen

I'll tell you why. The needle only shows a real turn of the nose.
The turn coordinator will bank on you if you rock the wings and the
nose stays pointed straight ahead. So, the turn coordinator gives you
fales information. If you hit a bump and your left wing lifts
momentarily, the turn coordinator will bank right on you when you
aren't turning at all. Hell, in turbulence the son of a bitch is all
over the place and is unusable. The needle works on a gyro that ONLY
makes the needle move if your nose is changing heading just like the
DG.

You can see the problem. The turn coordinator gives you too much
information but it gives the same indication if you bank or if you
stomp a peddle. That's no good. You don't know what really is
happening...it could be either.

Badwater, "you can stuff them damn turn coordinators" Bill

I think you are wrong. The turn coordinator doesn't give you bad
information, just different information.

Consider for a moment what your best response should be if during
straight and level flight you suddenly find yourself in a 30 degree
right bank because of turbulence or any other reason for that matter.
I think you would agree that you should apply left aileron (as well as
left rudder to remain as coordinated as possible) until any turning
and/or banking indications are removed and you are on your proper heading.
This is not that much different from your response if you suddenly find
yourself in a right turn.

Consider also the situation where you are flying partial panel
(i.e. your AI is not working). In response to the 30 degree bank
above, your response with a turn indicator will be nothing since
you won't even know that anything is wrong. Eventually the 30 degree
bank will cause turn and only then will you be able to correct for
it. Assuming you don't over-react to the turn coordinator's indication
you should be able to fly smoother than when using the turn needle
because you can respond sooner. In fact the turn coordinator was invented
because the engineers noticed that their autopilots (connected only to
the rate gyro) flew smoother when the gyro axis was tilted slightly
(and thus causing it to respond somewhat to roll rate in addition to yaw).

While it's true that some pilots fly better with one type of turn indicator
or the other, the difference usually depends on which instrument the
pilot started with or has become most accustomed to. And many pilots
fly just as well using either turn instrument even in turbulence. It often
helps to understand exactly what the needles indicate for the two different
instruments (although surprisingly even that is not always needed).

~Paul

Old August 31st 03, 12:46 PM
Bill Daniels

"Paul Mennen" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I have always though of a turn coordinator as a magnificent solution..... to
a non-existent problem.

The purpose of a needle is not only to keep the aircraft upright, it's to
facilitate accurate timed turns to an exact heading. If turbulence bumps
the aircraft to a 30 degree bank but the aircraft does not turn, the ball
will instantly show this by moving toward the low wing. Since the ball does
not over-react, the pilot won't either.

The thing I like most about a needle is that if held exactly on the standard
rate turn "doghouse" timed turns are very accurate - the kind of accuracy
that makes partial panel approaches practical. I've never seen anybody get
that kind of accuracy out of a turn coordinator.

Bill Daniels

Old August 31st 03, 07:32 PM
Paul Mennen

I have always though of a turn coordinator as a magnificent solution.....
a non-existent problem.

Do you call designing a smooth flying autopilot a non-existing problem?
True some later autopilots achieve smooth flying by tapping off the
attitude indicator, but I believe this is slightly more complicated.
I'll grant you that if it were not for the autopilot problem we would
all be happily flying around with turn and bank indicators.

If turbulence bumps the aircraft to a 30 degree bank but the aircraft
does not turn, the ball will instantly show this by moving toward the low

wing.

True. For that reason I shouldn't have said that you wouldn't even
know about the 30 degree bank until the turn started. I was thinking
from the autopilot's perspective. (The autopilot is not hooked to the ball.)

Since the ball does not over-react, the pilot won't either.

The turn coordinator does not over-react any more than the ball does.
It merely shows the sum of the yaw and roll rate. In any case the response
by the pilot to an unwanted bank angle whether detected from looking at
an AI, TC, or T&B is the same - enter a smooth coordinated turn in the
opposite direction (usually requiring both aileron and rudder opposite
to the unwanted bank) until the airplane is once again straight and level.

I've seen some pilots (esp. those relying mostly on a T&B) respond to
this situation simply by stomping on the rudder opposite to the direction
of the ball deflection. Perhaps the reasoning is - well since it is only
the ball that is out of whack because of the damn turbulence, I'll counter
the turbulence in the most expeditious manner by an equally jarring jab
on the opposite rudder. This works fine unless you have any passengers.
They will turn green about 3 times faster than if you fly properly.

The thing I like most about a needle is that if held exactly on the

standard
rate turn "doghouse" timed turns are very accurate - the kind of accuracy
that makes partial panel approaches practical.

Bill, you are showing your prejudice. It is entirely practical to do
such approaches with either instrument. On my CFII checkride I did a
fine partial panel approach down to 200 feet using my turn coordinator.
I've seen other pilots do this also.

As far as timed turns, remember that once the turn has stabilized
(constant bank angle) the T&B and TC needles show the same thing.
If you roll out of the turn the same way you roll into it, your timed
turns will be accurate. (This is true using either instrument).
The TC needle will react more to turbulence, but if you react to the
indications smoothly (as I described for straight and level flight)
it will do a good job for you.

I've never seen anybody get that kind of accuracy out of a turn

coordinator.
Bill Daniels

Well I guess you just haven't looked very hard

~Paul

Old September 1st 03, 05:54 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:27:44 -0400, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Badwater Bill wrote:

You guys must not remember the "Cat and Duck" method of flying
instruments. Hell, when I was a kid in the 1950's that's all we used.

Hell, the ASPCA won't let us use cats anymore, and good ducks are hard to find.
Been hunted too much, I suppose.

Lordy...I have a cat that loves to play catch...Yah have to remember
to be careful though as he's not been declawed. They are long and
sharp, so if he grabs yah, you know which ever way them fish hooks are
pulling is down.

My biggest problem is he's not afraid of heights and killed the last
two ducks.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.

FS: 1930's Space Exploration Un-Cut Tatoo Sheet J.R. Sinclair Aviation Marketplace 0 June 7th 04 06:28 AM
1930s Navy side numbers. JDupre5762 Naval Aviation 3 September 24th 03 07:51 PM
IFR in the 1930's Rich S. Home Built 43 September 21st 03 01:03 AM
IFR in the 1930's Del Rawlins Owning 33 September 11th 03 07:42 PM
IFR in the 1930's Rich S. Owning 0 August 29th 03 11:59 PM