Softie Parachute for Schleicher gliders with a seat back cutout

Old June 9th 19, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

Default Softie Parachute for Schleicher gliders with a seat back cutout

Last year I bought a new Softie parachute for my ASH 31. Not researching things through properly, I briefly read the Softie website (ok, I’m a dipstick for not drilling down in the "not so" fine print) and ordered the 240 MINI Softie model. Being a guy that is moderately “prosperous”, but can still bench press 225 lbs, it appeared to be the correct item. After flying my 31 a few times with the new rig, it was painfully obvious that the dimensions of the container didn’t fit the seat back cutout. The rig was too tall and too wide. The forced rounding of my shoulders and arching of my back caused severe lower back pain. I bought an inflatable bladder for lumbar support.
I complained to my master rigger / dealer about the issues during my recent repack. Ted mentioned that Softie can build custom sized containers (many times at no additional cost - call Para-Phernalia for details). We contacted Para-Phernalia with the seat back cutout dimensions and they recommended the MICRO Softie (I should have done this before ordering!). At first glance, this model is for a small pilot under 180 lbs. Properly reading the MICRO Softie page shows they can make it with the 240 lb parachute.
After some discussion and since my rig was fairly new, Para-Phernalia said they would construct a new MICRO container and move my parachute and drogue chute over to it. I went to the factory and they were wonderful. They gave me a credit on the old container (which they will sell to a drop zone). The overall net cost was very reasonable (YMMV). The customer service was absolutely fantastic and custom colors (Seahawks, Patriots, Dodger, Ranger fan?) are available.
I’ve now flown many flights with the new MICRO rig and it fits the ASH 31 (26) seat back cutout brilliantly. No additional back pain. The MICRO is a bit thicker than the MINI which works for me.
Others have tried the MICRO on in a ASG 29. One pilot thought the MICRO was superb and much better fit than his MINI Softie. Another pilot thought it was OK compared to his MINI Softie and might be better in the 32.
Bottom line, before you order a new parachute, contact Para-Phernalia directly with the dimensions of the seat you will be using it in. You will be VERY happy with the results.
Craig
Old June 10th 19, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GliderCZ

On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 9:27:48 AM UTC-7, Craig Reinholt wrote:

After some discussion and since my rig was fairly new, Para-Phernalia said they would construct a new MICRO container and move my parachute and drogue chute over to it. I went to the factory and they were wonderful. They gave me a credit on the old container (which they will sell to a drop zone). The overall net cost was very reasonable (YMMV). The customer service was absolutely fantastic and custom colors (Seahawks, Patriots, Dodger, Ranger fan?) are available.

I generally don't do "endorsements," but I can vouch for Para-Phernalia's responsive customer service. They are a top-flight provider. They recently built a container and harness for me when my rigger "downed" my old one. Quick turnaround and extra care to ensure my satisfaction...
Old June 10th 19, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For sure, Para-Phernalia are very strong supporters of soaring. Jim (head parachute builder and accomplished hang glider pilot) has been very helpful over the years. Holly the office manager is great, and Dan the owner has been a friend to soaring pilots for many years.

RC

Old June 10th 19, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 3:30:59 AM UTC-4, wrote:
For sure, Para-Phernalia are very strong supporters of soaring. Jim (head parachute builder and accomplished hang glider pilot) has been very helpful over the years. Holly the office manager is great, and Dan the owner has been a friend to soaring pilots for many years.

RC

I wish someone would do a new ad for them (Soaring mag.). The guy in their ad is riding the bomb all wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcW_Ygs6hm0

T8
Old June 10th 19, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I like the Softie line of chutes and fly with one now. And I agree the folks at Para-Phernalia are great to deal with.

But--the manufacturer is one of the few (only?) in the U.S. to set a 20-year life on their products (see below). It can be challenging to get any chute that's more than 20 years old packed--even when it's in superb condition--thanks to the efforts of Allen Silver. Do a search on this newsgroup for (much) more info. But I suspect it will be even more difficult to get a rigger to pack a 20+ year Softie. I wish I'd known this before I bought mine.

"Independent testing of aged nylon materials has proven that its strength degrades over time, therefore, Para-Phernalia, Inc. and Free Flight Enterprises have established a 20-year service life from the date of component manufacture for the Softie Pilot Emergency System and the Preserve line of emergency parachutes."

Chip Bearden
Old June 11th 19, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 4:36:32 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

They really are comfortable parachutes to wear. And the riggers seem to like them when repacking them. With that in mind, when shopping for a used parachute, I use the rule of thumb "$100 per year left of "useful life" (20y - #yrs old the parachute is). Given that, I was able to purchase a used Softie long that was 4 years old, for $1600. I thought that was a fair price.
Old June 11th 19, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

It’s pretty much the same with seat belts. Do yourselves a favor and get new seat belts after 20 years no matter the condition of the “tags”.
Old June 11th 19, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I wish someone would do a new ad for them (Soaring mag.). The guy in their ad is riding the bomb all wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcW_Ygs6hm0

T8

Dr. Strangelove is a great movie, but at the height of the Cold War, I am sure Director Stanley Kubrick was not willing to show the approved USAF method of riding The Bomb, lest the Soviets glean Top Secret knowledge of proper implementation. Slim Pickens (Major Kong) rode The Bomb backwards as a form of disinformation. ;-)
Old June 11th 19, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My Pioneer Thin Pack was 42 years old before someone refused to
inspect/repack it.* His complaint was about some minor fraying on the
crotch straps.* They would probably have only sustained a 20,000 pound
shock before stretching a bit...* My previous rigger from Colorado was
always impressed with its condition and he did puncture and rip tests.*
I was always present when he inspected and repacked it.

I now have a new Aviator P-124 emergency parachute
https://rigginginnovations.com/skydiving-containers/aviator-emergency-parachute
and am very happy with it.

--
Dan, 5J

Old June 11th 19, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Slim Pickens (Major Kong) rode The Bomb backwards as a form of disinformation. ;-)

That and he didn't want to experience the ground rush.