MOA??

Old July 6th 05, 02:57 PM
Peter R.

Mitty wrote:

Does civilian ATC sometimes work a hot MOA? How/why/when ?

While flying IFR in the Northeast US, I have overheard Boston Center
controlling the MOAs located in North-Central NY state. Usually it is
along the lines of "you are cleared into Falcon 1" or "block altitude
approved," but it is obvious Center is communicating with them.

One time I even overheard a military pilot receive a terse call from ATC
related to a block altitude to which the pilot was apparently not adhering.

--
Peter

Old July 6th 05, 03:07 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mitty" wrote in message

Does civilian ATC sometimes work a hot MOA? How/why/when ?

I'm not aware of any but there are provisions for it in FAAO 7110.65.

Old July 6th 05, 03:10 PM
Dave Butler

Mitty wrote:
ok, I'll bite.

Does civilian ATC sometimes work a hot MOA? How/why/when ?

On 7/6/2005 7:56 AM, Steven P. McNicoll wrote the following:

"Dave Butler" wrote in message

Hi Steven, are your answers specific to the Falls 1 MOA, or true for
MOAs in general? I thought ATC sometimes worked the military traffic
inside the MOA. Is that never true? Thanks.

My answers apply to Falls 1 and the nearby Volk MOAs.

I'm obviously no expert, or I wouldn't have asked the question, but...

I seem to remember from a presentation by a military guy at a civilian fly-in at
Pope AFB (pre-9/11, obviously) that MOAs are not a cookie cutter arrangement,
there is a sort of contract between the military and civilian authorites on an
MOA by MOA basis, kind of like the letters of agreement among civilian ATCs.
Sometimes the military ATC will work the civilian traffic and provide separation
in the MOA and sometimes the separation service is delegated to the civilian
ATC, and sometimes no separation is provided. Perhaps someone can confirm or
refute my recollection.

Dave
Old July 6th 05, 03:37 PM
KP

"Mitty" wrote in message
ok, I'll bite.

Does civilian ATC sometimes work a hot MOA? How/why/when ?

The closest thing to "working" a MOA ATC (civil or military - the US NAS is
a single system) does is turn it on or off and watch for spillouts.

This may be done by an air traffic controller if there is no MRU responsible
for the MOA (fairly common around USAF UPT bases).

Who "owns" any particular MOA at any given time and what can or cannot be
done in them depends on the LOA between the facility whose airspace the MOA
is in and the agency responsible for it.

Sometimes, it may be possible to coordinate passage of IFR aircraft through
a "hot" MOA, sometimes the MOA may go cold and sometimes the MOA
*can't/won't* go cold and IFR traffic has to go around. Depends on the
situation, location, and procedures.

In the old days of fighters with one UHF radio, aircraft in a MOA were on
the MRU MOA freq monitoring Guard. These days they've got way too many
radios and can be on multiple freqs simultaneously. Sometimes those
multiple freqs include ATC; sometimes they don't.

Old July 7th 05, 01:57 PM
John Doe

"Mitty" wrote in message
Airport is KBCK, Falls 1 MOA. Central Wisconsin, Green Bay sectional.

Actually, the advice I previously received here (from a couple of
controllers IIRC) was correct: If the MOA is hot, ATC will not let you in
IFR. If you can't cancel and go in VFR, you are SOL. In the KBCK case, I
would consider going in VFR because it is very close to the edge of the
MOA at one point.

I would agree with that to a point. If it's IFR conditions and you're
trying to get in to land, you might have to hold as ATC tries to work you
into the approach. As you hold, ATC will be contacting the military
aircraft in the MOA to try and deconflict to get you IFR seperation. You
will hold outside the MOA until ATC can work that.

To double check, I called Center on the phone. The admin phone for both
Chicago and Minneapolis centers is the same, so I ended up talking to a
controller at Chicago. He said the same thing as above.

Re the rest of your thoughts, that is all new to me. I have flown near a
few hot MOAs while on an IFR clearance and have never heard Center talking
to the military guys. I have also never read any idea that ATC would be
working with the military guys. Is this just your theory?

I am not an ATC controller, but most military talks on UHF on their primary
radio and VHF by exception. Some jets don't even have VHF. The controller
might not be simulcasting his transmissions to the military pilots on VHF,
that's probably why you're not hearing them. But I can promise you, ATC is
working with them.

I have read a couple of articles on MOAs from the military viewpoint and
the gist was that they are really scared of civilian traffic because they
are moving so fast relative to us. In fact, I think in some cases we are
such slow movers that their targeting radar suppresses our returns.

For the most part this is true. Most GA traffic are like very large birds
to military jets. Imagine passing cars on the freeway that are only going
20mph when you're trying to do 70mph. While the military radars are tuned
to detect fast movers at long ranges, they are capable of detecting civilian
traffic, just at much shorter ranges. With that being said, a Cessna flying
at 90kts on a perpendicular flight path might not show until very late on
radar.

Old July 7th 05, 02:11 PM
John Doe

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

"John Doe" wrote in message
link.net...

ATC owns the MOA.

In what way?

MILITARY OPERATIONS AREA (MOA): Airspace established outside the Positive
Control Area (PCA) to separate/segregate certain military activities from
IFR traffic and to identify for VFR traffic where these activities are
conducted. Whenever a MOA is active, nonparticipating IFR traffic may be
cleared through the area provided ATC can ensure IFR separation; otherwise,
ATC will reroute or restrict nonparticipating IFR traffic.

Military does not get exclusive use of a MOA, just because it's identified
as a MOA. A MOA is just a chunk of VFR airspace that's been identified by
ATC as an area used by military traffic. Each MOA might have specific
arrangments made between the local ATC and the miliary on altitudes, types
of use, etc.

If need be, they can block the military aircraft in the MOA to altitude
deconflict from you under you're through.

No they can't. They don't work the traffic in the MOA.

Yea, actually they do. I have over 2000 hours flying military jets in MOAs
and every single time I have been in contact with ATC. They normally have a
UHF working freq assigned to the MOA that military aircraft will monitor.
While not actively receiving any services from ATC while in the MOA, ATC
always has a freq to contact them on if needed, Guard being the last resort.
I have recieved countless changes to my clearance while in a MOA, effecting
my block altitudes, traffic advisories, etc from ATC while working in MOAs.

ATC will likely give them point outs of your location and they will avoid
you even if you're VFR (as long as you're transponder is working).

They're not on ATC frequency.

Already commented on this. Yes they are, just not the one you're listening
to. They are not on same VHF freq as civilian traffic. ATC is talking to
them on a seperate UHF freq, specific to that MOA.

Old July 7th 05, 02:15 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Doe" wrote in message
link.net...

I would agree with that to a point. If it's IFR conditions and you're
trying to get in to land, you might have to hold as ATC tries to work you
into the approach. As you hold, ATC will be contacting the military
aircraft in the MOA to try and deconflict to get you IFR seperation. You
will hold outside the MOA until ATC can work that.

What do you base that on?

I am not an ATC controller, but most military talks on UHF on their
primary radio and VHF by exception. Some jets don't even have VHF. The
controller might not be simulcasting his transmissions to the military
pilots on VHF, that's probably why you're not hearing them. But I can
promise you, ATC is working with them.

What puts you in a position to make that promise?

Old July 7th 05, 03:28 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Doe" wrote in message
ink.net...

MILITARY OPERATIONS AREA (MOA): Airspace established outside the Positive
Control Area (PCA) to separate/segregate certain military activities from
IFR traffic and to identify for VFR traffic where these activities are
conducted. Whenever a MOA is active, nonparticipating IFR traffic may be
cleared through the area provided ATC can ensure IFR separation;
otherwise, ATC will reroute or restrict nonparticipating IFR traffic.

Military does not get exclusive use of a MOA, just because it's identified
as a MOA.

Nobody said otherwise.

A MOA is just a chunk of VFR airspace that's been identified by ATC as an
area used by military traffic.

It's a bit more than that. You're essentially describing an Alert Area.
But the FAR restrictions on speed and aerobatics apply in Alert Areas, not
so in MOAs.

Yea, actually they do. I have over 2000 hours flying military jets in
MOAs and every single time I have been in contact with ATC. They normally
have a UHF working freq assigned to the MOA that military aircraft will
monitor. While not actively receiving any services from ATC while in the
MOA, ATC always has a freq to contact them on if needed, Guard being the
last resort. I have recieved countless changes to my clearance while in a
MOA, effecting my block altitudes, traffic advisories, etc from ATC while
working in MOAs.

I have over twenty years experience as an air traffic controller. I've
worked airspace that contained or was adjacent to MOAs, ATCAAs, Restricted
Areas, MTRs, and aerial refueling tracks. That includes the Falls 1 MOA,
which is the one under discussion here. Your limited experience with a few
MOAs does not apply to all of them, what you wrote about the Falls 1 MOA is
incorrect.

Already commented on this. Yes they are, just not the one you're
listening to. They are not on same VHF freq as civilian traffic. ATC is
talking to them on a seperate UHF freq, specific to that MOA.

Again, you're assuming all MOAs are consistent with your experience. They
are not. I've worked many military aircraft into MOAs and out of them. It
was common for them to file flight plans to a point just inside the MOA and
cancel IFR and leave the frequency just before entering the airspace.
They'd also file a return flight plan from the same point, the only time
they were on ATC frequency while within the active MOA was to pick up their
return clearance.

Old July 7th 05, 03:49 PM
John Doe

Fair enough. Not all MOAs are the same. And you're right, I have not flown
in all of them.