Plane crash in Kenya... or maybe not!

Old April 6th 06, 09:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Plane crash in Kenya... or maybe not!

On the news wire 1 hour ago - "A plane with 80 people on board has crashed
at Nairobi airport, according to Kenyan authorities. The plane was flying
from the Democratic Republic of Congo. More follows."

And then 30 minutes ago "Kenyan air authorities briefly sparked panic on
Thursday by announcing a plane coming from the Democratic Republic of Congo
had crashed with 80 people on board -- then saying it was a practice drill."

The question is, why would they pretend, even briefly, to the foregin press
that there had been a real crash?

"Kenya Airports Authority (KAA) spokesman Dominic Kabiru told Reuters "We
are testing our preparedness. We have to play a real scenario."

D.

Old April 6th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"David Wright" wrote in message

The question is, why would they pretend, even briefly, to the foregin

press
that there had been a real crash?

There's absolutely no chance that a reporter came in late to a press
conference and missed the key words 'We will be conducting a drill....'?

Old April 6th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

There's absolutely no chance that a reporter came in late to a press
conference and missed the key words 'We will be conducting a drill....'?

Who knows - but it was reported on Reuters and PA before being retracted!

D.

Old April 7th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
"David Wright" wrote in message

The question is, why would they pretend, even briefly, to the foregin

press
that there had been a real crash?

There's absolutely no chance that a reporter came in late to a press
conference and missed the key words 'We will be conducting a drill....'?

I used to work in a refinery. At one point, all the operators went out on
strike leaving "management" (i.e. the engineers and foremen) to keep the
place alive (it was winter and we couldn't shut down the boilers and stuff
because they were outside and would freeze). Anyhow, the plant manager
decided we needed a "fire drill" since most of the front office guys had
never had a chance to work the fire engines and all that stuff. So,
announcements were made, and everyone knew that at whatever oclock we were
going to have this drill. Everyone except for the extra security guards that
had been brought in to patrol the plant during the strike that is...

Whatever oclock came around, the foreman in the control room comes on the
radio and makes a big announcement about this "fire" in the 3200 unit -
really hamming it up and having a good old time. Now I "just happened" to be
standing next to the fire house at the time of the drill. I always did want
to drive the BIG pumper, not just the little crash truck. And, being the
first one there, I got my choice of rigs.

So I fire up the BIG pumper, turn on all the light, fire up the siren, lay
on the air horn, and off I go.

Did I mention that we kinda forgot to tell the extra security guards? We
also kinda forgot that they all carried radios on the same frequency that we
were on because they never used them to talk...

It must have been pretty scary with all the guys clowning around on the
radio ("Man O man, this is bad!!" "Never seen anything like it", etc.) and
the fact that we were surrounded by tens of thousands of gallons of
petroleum, and not knowing it was a drill and all.

So, here comes a couple security guys driving one way through the plant, and
there's me coming the other way in the BIG pumper with all the flashing
lights, siren blaring, and not even _thinking_ about letting up on the air
horn. Did I mention that I was driving the BIG pumper?

All I can figure, is the driver must have panicked. In his rush to get out
of the way, he gave the wheel a jerk and went straight into the ditch.

I decided to just keep going.

Perhaps the officials in Kenya kinda forgot to tell the press it was just a
drill too.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com