$98 per barrel oil

Old November 9th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default $98 per barrel oil

Yes - I have a name writes:

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

About 250,000.

About fifty times less.

Um.. That would be -12,250,000

How is that possible?

It isn't.

250,000/50 = 5,000
Old November 9th 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2007-11-08, wrote:
Electric transportation will never be viable until and unless a dramatic
advance in battery technology is made that will enable electric cars
to go 200-400 miles and power all the trucks on the interstate.

To be pedantic, *personal* electric transportation. Over here in
Rightpondia, electric transportation has been viable for frieght and
mass transport for decades. Here's a picture of such transport hauling a
load of frieght:
http://jasonrodhouse.fotopic.net/p43333298.html

Aviation is probably the hardest nut to crack - it requires a portable
and highly energy dense fuel - batteries probably never will crack it.
It'll always need a fuel with similar energy density characteristics as
diesel or gasoline.

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.
Old November 9th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"ManhattanMan" wrote in news:OQPYi.1979$rN1.919
@newsfe18.lga:

wrote:
The total amount of nonperforming loans has been estimated to be as
high as approximetly $1 trillion.

As of this afternoon, our debt exceeded $9 trillion.......

Your owe $9 trillion?

Holy cow! How are you going to ever pay that back?
Old November 9th 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dylan Smith writes:

Aviation is probably the hardest nut to crack - it requires a portable
and highly energy dense fuel - batteries probably never will crack it.
It'll always need a fuel with similar energy density characteristics as
diesel or gasoline.

Hydrogen springs to mind, but storing it safely and in small volumes is
problmatic.
Old November 9th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Judah writes:

Holy cow! How are you going to ever pay that back?

That's an unanswered question right now.
Old November 9th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

There are methods for making oil from coal. Somewhere I read that the
process has been revived in China. If it's so uneconomical, why are
they doing it?

It's becoming ecomonically viable to do it in the west as well.

Exactly.... Especially when you build these plants so that
they use nuclear and/or solar to power the synthetic fuel
'refining' process. This is also true if you want a positive
payback in ethanol production.

Remember that oil is used in zillions of products, manufacturing
processes and machinery that we still use and will need to use,
probably forever. Yes, we can reduce our use of it but we are still
going to *need* it. Other countries seem to understand this and are
still exploring for and producing oil, if not for export but even
just for their own use. For us not to do the same thing is simply
foolish.

Old November 9th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Judah" wrote)
So illuminate. What exactly is the scope of what's happening in
(industrial) China?

Phenomenal growth and potential for more growth.

Montblack

Old November 9th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Judah writes:

Holy cow! How are you going to ever pay that back?

That's an unanswered question right now.

Way to contribute there luser boi.

Bertie
Old November 9th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

kontiki wrote in news:UQZYi.20375$ya1.2776
@news02.roc.ny:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

[...]

I didn't say I thought it was a god idea, I just said it's economicaly
viable.

Persnoally, I think we should be looking into making airplanes fly on
Sparrow farts. Plenty of untaped methanol there.

Bertie

Old November 9th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Thomas Borchert wrote in
:

Bertie,

If either side gets it's way, we're heading for a new dark age of
superstition and ignorance. Ones as bad as the other and it's only
when an occasional spurt of intelligence comes by that the seemingly
compelling slide into stupidity is reversed.
Hopefully the US's little foray into the darkness will at least be
slowed next year when the chimp is gone.

You done broke the code...

Pretty obvious really. At least I think so.

Some areas are already there.

Bertie