Marfa Gliders is NOT closing!

Old September 19th 18, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default Marfa Gliders is NOT closing!

Burt here. I'm NOT retiring, I just downsizing my fleet, selling a hangar, offering my collection of vintage music instruments for sale, specifically:

My beautifully restored 1946 Piper J-3 Cub (low-time C-85 HP.) Grove brakes, new spars, new prop, etc.

Schempp-Hirth Standard Cirrus, low time, factory wing mod, airbrake mod. Nice Eberle trailer.

Schweizer 1-36, last of the Schweizer sailplane production. Great club ship for badges and XC.

1959 Cessna 150, production number 100, restored to original factory paint scheme.

All of my aircraft are relatively "low time”, well-maintained and have been hangared in the dry climate of Marfa, Texas, since 2003.

My 60'x 60' Mueller Steel hangar (tallest of my three hangars) is for sale on Marfa Airport (MRF.) Built in 2007. Schweiss electric Bi-Fold door, very tall ceiling. Alarm system. Roll-up garage door in back corner. Concrete floor and large ramp. Water spigot in front. Easy access to taxiways..

Please do not ask for prices on this newsgroup. Please request photos and details by private E-MAIL to burtcompton (at) a0l (dot) com

Tire-kickers welcome at my "Oktoberfest" Vintage & Classic Sailplane Camp October 12-28, 2018 at Marfa in southwest Texas.

El Paso is the nearest airline access to Marfa, near the Davis Mountains and Big Bend National Park.
Airport elevation about 5,000' MSL. No oil or cactus here, just a huge aquifer of water underground, where "The Sun Ship Game" soaring movie was filmed at the 1969 US National Contest.

And . . .Vintage music instruments for sale. Rickenbacker, Vox, Fender, Ludwig . . . if you recognize those brands . . .

Just downsizing, NOT retiring!
Still offering FREE FAA checkrides for all glider ratings including INITIAL CFI-G.
Come visit.

Old September 19th 18, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 3:26:02 PM UTC-7, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
[...]

Great news. How about celebrating by hosting an OLC camp/games? That would be an excellent opportunity for many of us who have not experienced Marfa, to fly this historic site.
Old September 20th 18, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

More better than OLC would be to bring back sanctioned racing to Marfa. That would be awesome. Maybe just like Sun Ship games but without the cigarette butts.
Old September 20th 18, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 8:16:08 AM UTC-7, Steve Koerner wrote:
More better than OLC would be to bring back sanctioned racing to Marfa. That would be awesome. Maybe just like Sun Ship games but without the cigarette butts.

"More better"? Well, either would be more better than none.
Old September 20th 18, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

I've flown at Marfa at those Dick Johnson sponsored spring wave camps.
I might go to a OLC camp there but I would not go to a competition, I found it to be too rough and unlandable for my taste, I'm a wuss and I'm spoiled flying Parowan Nephi where there are lots of airports and Ag fields in case things go south. Coming back to Marfa from the Davis Mountains one day in my Ka6CR in a gale I couldn't make the airport and landed on the highway, no steel stakes where I landed, but not the best as there was some traffic.
Going to Marfa to see the "Marfa Lights" was worth it thou, goggle those things they are really something to see.

Old September 20th 18, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You know they’re car headlights on a distant road, right?
Old September 26th 18, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 12:46:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:
You know they’re car headlights on a distant road, right?

Yes, 99% are distant car lights on the highway up from Mexico, 65 miles south, refracting in the clear air under the nighttime inversion. Like many who live here, I have never seen the "real" Marfa Mystery Lights however, I would really like to the see them, even if the light is static electricity created by two Jackrabbits rubbing up against each other.

For the best light show around Marfa, attend one of the weekly "Star Parties" at the McDonald Observatory Visitor Center telescopes. See galaxies, planets and more. So popular that reservations are now required! www.mcdonaldobservatory.org
Old August 25th 19, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Burt - say it ain't so - nobody flying xc out of Marfa at all!? Nothing on OLC...
Old August 26th 19, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 7:33:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Burt - say it ain't so - nobody flying xc out of Marfa at all!? Nothing on OLC...

Huh? Just because a flight is not on OLC does not mean that we are not flying XC.

Old August 26th 19, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sure, I rarely post - but it is a means of promoting a sit - I would think you would encourage it!