Synthetic Oil

Old August 2nd 03, 12:27 AM
Mike Rapoport

Actually synthetic is fine for recip engines if the additive package is
appropriate.

Mike
MU-2

"kevin" wrote in message
et...
Newps wrote:

kevin wrote:

Dan Thompson wrote:

I buy mine from their website. I changed my cars to full synthetic
after my friend
who's son is a chrew chief in the AF said they ran only synthetic oil
in the AF turbines. If synthetic can stand up to the high operating
temps of turbines, with the rpm's they turn, and not break down or
boil it would have to protect a recip engine better than dino oil.
That should translate into a large increase in engine life. If it will
protect the engine better i dont care if is FAA certified or not. They
are not the one depending on the engine , I am.

Hard to imagine a more apples and oranges argument.

Not meant to be an argument , just a question. I have been set straight
, and understand synthetic is not an option for recip engines.

Thanks to all for the help

Old August 2nd 03, 04:27 AM
H. Adam Stevens

My Victor Blacks are not in a car, they're in an injured but hopefully
curable P Baron.
The folks from Beech in San Antonio have been up to San Marcos twice.

My Carrera 4 uses Mobil One.
Every 15,000 miles.

My Baron can make Belize in 4 hours from Austin.
My Porsche can't.

Apples and Oranges are both fruit.
This analogy needs more differential.

Don't think you are smarter than a century of bloody experience just because
the FAA won't sign off on a can of oil.

H.
N502TB
Soloed May '67 at 17 with my own damn money washing airplanes.

"David Lesher" wrote in message
(Michael) writes:

The full synthetics won't hold the lead in suspension. I know people
who are running the lower compression aviation engines on autogas and
Mobil One. The longevity of the engines, and especially their ability
to resist corrosion when they sit, is nothing short of incredble.

At least in cars, a big plus for M1 was the viscosity when it was
cold old. As in, -30C, which was the case in MinneySota. You really
noticed the lower cranking effort vice normal 5-20, etc.

--
A host is a host from coast to