'twas a day when the world was shut....

Old June 19th 08, 07:13 AM posted to aus.aviation;,rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default 'twas a day when the world was shut....

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:50:38 -0500, Jim Logajan
wrote in :

I sure as heck didn't understand eight eights till I found a reference to
it elsewhere!

I presumed that was a reference to sky cover.
Old June 19th 08, 07:18 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting
RT

"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message

just goes to show that you dont have to be correct to be competent.
you just need to make sure you dont run out of fuel.

I like it!

Old June 19th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:50:38 -0500, Jim Logajan
wrote:

Don Byrer wrote:
Now why can't us Yanks have some cool sounding places to fly to-like
Goomalling, Dallwallinu, & Perenjori

How about these Yank locations:

Oshkosh, Walla Walla, Rancho Cucamonga, Hoquiam, Humptulips, Snoqualmie,
Puyallup, Ogallala...

Walla Walla is in New South Wales just North of Albury, between Corowa
and Culcairn.
it's the original one. it was aboriginal practise to double the words
to emphasise the intent.

(at least there aren't many here in Ohio!)

I haven't got an Ohio map handy, but I bet Ohio has a few doozy names with
airstrips somewhere near them.

Oh yeah - I cheated a tiny bit: I found this blog where people contributed
a bunch of amusing and odd names:

http://suburbdad.blogspot.com/2006/0...-smile-or.html

As to the OP: I don't understand Strine, so I had no idea what his post was
about! ;-)

I sure as heck didn't understand eight eights till I found a reference to
it elsewhere!

stay tuned. I'm going flying again on Saturday.
Stealth Pilot
Old June 20th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old June 20th 08, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

wrote:

Walla Walla is in New South Wales just North of Albury, between Corowa
and Culcairn.
it's the original one. it was aboriginal practise to double the words
to emphasise the intent.

I believe you're thinking of Wagga Wagga, not Walla Walla.

BL.

no siree bob.

Walla Walla is south 35 degrees 46 minutes, East 146 degrees 54
minutes.

it is on the road between Culcairn and Corowa, just to the north east
of Burrumbuttock and just to the north west of Gerogery.
it is 18 DME from Albury.

Wagga Wagga is much further North.

....but dont worry about it. we're not bothered that you pinch
Australian town names. We have some of the neatest town names on the
planet.

Tallangatta, Walbundrie, Jerilderie, Tumbarumba, Chinkapook,
Managtang, Rupanyup, Booligal, Yantabulla, Tintinara, Denial bay.
there's lots more.

Stealth :-) Pilot

Old June 20th 08, 02:45 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting
xyzzy

On Jun 18, 7:23*am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:42:47 -0700 (PDT), xyzzy
wrote:

This post needs pictures. * Next time you take a flight like this,
take a camera.

I did take a camera.
I must get my web site fired up again.

flickr, easyshare, facebook, etc... You don't need a website to
share pics.
Old June 20th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Stealth Pilot wrote:
...but dont worry about it. we're not bothered that you pinch
Australian town names.

Them's fightn' words! ;-)

Walla Walla Washington was named for a native north American tribe, not
after the coincidentally named Aussie town in NSW, as evidenced by this
Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walla_Walla_%28tribe%29