KX170B replacement options

Old February 7th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default KX170B replacement options

Get a copy of the catalog from Aircraft Spruce. They have a nice
listing of radios at very reasonable prices.

Old February 7th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I'd get an original KX-170B in good working order. Check out this site:
www.KX170B.com

This guy is retired and fixes these on the side. He states that they are
repaired to "like new" specifications so the ones he has for sale should be
also. Check the site again but I believe he wants $700 for a refurbished
radio.

I still have the original KX-170B as a #2 to my Garmin 430. Use it mostly
for ATIS and have not desired or needed any flip-flop capability.

Marco

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why not just get a real KX-170B?

I did considered that. Although I"d be giving up the digital flip/flop
I'd be getting a much more reliable radio (according from our local
avionics shop). However, they just told me that there are many KX-170B
parts that are now also getting pretty hard to find. Since MAC1700 is
no longe producing parts, it looks like MX is the only company
currently producing parts for 170B replacements. . If I could just
convince them to service my old one. Its actually quite a funky radio.
The buttonology is just different than anything else. The top of the
radio is comm and the bottom is nav. However, the top knob works big
numbers and the bottom works the decimals. There is a C/N button that
flips between com/nav for the knobs. Not what you'd expect. Also, if
you turn the nav off the display is still active. The display on the
nav turns off when you turn the comm off.

-Robert

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 7th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

From what I can tell, Aicraft Spruce only sells new radios. That's a
bit much for a #3 comm hole filler. Just on old, used, but working
KX-170B would fit the bill.

-Robert

Old February 7th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Call Eastern Avionics, Gulf Coast, etc... They should have trade ins...
I got some, but they go back in the plane whenever it is sold..

denny

Old February 10th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote in message
Robert M. Gary wrote:
: Do you think there is any value in the MX-170? The display seems very
: effected by moisture. For the last couple of years it would be dark
: during run up and would slowly come back after the moisture was driven
: out of the cabin. Today, it went to 100.00 on all 4 freqs in
: mid-flight. The company that makes it (TKM) refuses to fix it because
: they want me to buy their new model and they don't offer the manuals so
: no shop can legally work on it. Its too bad too. I had the exact same
: problem with my KX-155, the shop simply replaced the display for a very
: reasonable amount of money. In my opinion, TKM are just being butts
: about this.

I had a friend that got screwed out of his radio in the same way. Bought

an
ebay-special MX-170 that worked, but had a little display problem and the

volume was a
little low. Sent it to Michel since they would supposedly fix it for a

flat rate
(something like $200 or something IIRC). Well, they sat on the radio

giving bullsh*t
stories of how it was ready, no there was more broken, now it was in final

adjustment
stage, and finally he was told he had to buy a new one. Couldn't even get

the old one
back unless he paid about 1/2 the cost of a new one in labor for

diagnostics.

He also had a MX-12. After getting screwed on the MX-170, I volunteered

look inside a bit. They are built much cheaper than King units....

regular COTS ICs,
sockets, ribbon cables, LEDs, etc. That's cheap and easily fixable: as

long as you
can get them to fix it or give you the info to do so yourself. Ribbon

cables aren't
chafe-protected, non-gold-plated connectors, cheesy DIP sockets for many

ICs, etc.

If you look inside a King unit, they're built to avionics standards... not
cheapo consumer VCR standards.

Hell., some of the king stuff I have seen don't even have solder mask on
the PCB and they use old very cheap boards Not even fiberglass FR4

My recommendation: Don't by Michel anything.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

kx170b Ernesto Sanchez Home Built 0 July 1st 05 05:43 AM
Options [email protected] Soaring 32 March 14th 05 06:33 PM
Cobra Trailer Axel Replacement Carter Soaring 7 July 7th 04 02:06 PM
New Army Aviation Options? Thomas Schoene Military Aviation 22 February 29th 04 10:51 PM
TKM MX-11 Com true slide replacement ? Rohit Fedane Owning 0 September 21st 03 05:02 PM