GPS Question

Old March 9th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default GPS Question

I thought I understood this, but maybe not. GPS systems were certified
for approaches after I got my instrument ticket, so my knowledge is
more anecdotal than from actual training.

Can an approach-certified GPS be used to substitute for NDB and DME
during an approach (or even en route)? What if the approach says ADF
Required or DME Required? My understanding of the AIM is that you can
only use the GPS as a substitute when there is a published GPS overlay
for the approach.

(My question is about the legality and not about whether you'd be close
enough.)

Old March 9th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 03/09/06 11:35, rps wrote:
I thought I understood this, but maybe not. GPS systems were certified
for approaches after I got my instrument ticket, so my knowledge is
more anecdotal than from actual training.

Can an approach-certified GPS be used to substitute for NDB and DME
during an approach (or even en route)? What if the approach says ADF
Required or DME Required? My understanding of the AIM is that you can
only use the GPS as a substitute when there is a published GPS overlay
for the approach.

(My question is about the legality and not about whether you'd be close
enough.)

The AIM has a section devoted to the use of GPS in lieu of ADF and DME,
which will answer your question, and much more ;-)

Go to section 1-1-19, and look for "Use of GPS in lieu of ADF and DME".

The short answer is yes, you can use GPS as a replacement for ADF and DME
unless the navigational station is the primary for the approach (which
could be true for ADF, but not DME).

So, if you're flying an NDB approach, you could not use the GPS as a
replacement for the NDB ground station.

However, if you're flying an approach that requires DME, or an NDB to
identify the OM, you can use the GPS to provide that information.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old March 9th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Can an approach-certified GPS be used to substitute for NDB and DME
during an approach (or even en route)? What if the approach says ADF
Required or DME Required? My understanding of the AIM is that you can
only use the GPS as a substitute when there is a published GPS overlay
for the approach.

My understanding is that it can, except for an NDB approach. If the NDB
approach has a GPS overlay, then it is a GPS approach anyway.

Jose
Old March 9th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Mark Hansen wrote:

So, if you're flying an NDB approach, you could not use the GPS as a
replacement for the NDB ground station.

Here in the lower 48 states, the NDB approach is fast going the way of the
Dodo bird. Every Jepp update I have received over the last 6 months seems
to require the removal of more NBD approaches than those I replace.

--
Peter
Old March 9th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

unless the navigational station is the primary for the approach (which
could be true for ADF, but not DME).

Except, of course, for the famous VOR/DME OR TACAN Z RWY 15 approach at Martin
State:

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0602/05222VDTZ15.PDF

Old March 9th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 03/09/06 12:51, Barry wrote:
unless the navigational station is the primary for the approach (which
could be true for ADF, but not DME).

Except, of course, for the famous VOR/DME OR TACAN Z RWY 15 approach at Martin
State:

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0602/05222VDTZ15.PDF

Are you saying that you can't use the GPS in lieu of DME for that approach?
Why not?

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old March 10th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message
On 03/09/06 11:35, rps wrote:
[...]

Except for flying an approach at the alternate:

Ref: AIM 1-1-19, paragraph f.1.(b)(8)
Restrictions

"For TSO-C129/129A users, any required alternate airport must still have an
approved instrument approach procedure other than GPS that is anticipated to
be operational and available at the estimated time of arrival, and which the
aircraft is equipped to fly. If the non-GPS approaches on which the pilot
must rely require DME or ADF, the aircraft must be equipped with DME or ADF
avionics as appropriate."

Old March 10th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Except for flying an approach at the alternate:

Nope. Except for determining a legal alternate. Once you are in the
air, if you need to go to =an= alternate, it doesn't have to be your
filed one, and even if you decide to go to your filed alternate, there
are no special GPS rules. You can use the approach-certified GPS as a
substitute for NDB and DME, except for an NDB approach, just like your
original destination.

Jose
Old March 10th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Except for flying an approach at the alternate:

Ref: AIM 1-1-19, paragraph f.1.(b)(8)
Restrictions

"For TSO-C129/129A users, any required alternate airport must still have
an approved instrument approach procedure other than GPS that is
anticipated to be operational and available at the estimated time of
arrival, and which the aircraft is equipped to fly. If the non-GPS
approaches on which the pilot must rely require DME or ADF, the aircraft
must be equipped with DME or ADF avionics as appropriate."

Not so. One can still fly a GPS approach at the alternate. You just need the
other equipment installed. If you have approved WAAS avionics, you may plan
to use any instrument approach authorized for use with WAAS avionics at a
required alternate.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 10:32 PM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM