sold 310 -- now what?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 4th 05, 03:56 AM
Cary Mariash

Default sold 310 -- now what?

After nearly a year away from the newsgroups, I am returning to seek the
wisdom and advice from the NG. After 7 years and 670 hours later, I have
sold my 1958 Cessna 310B and am looking for another plane. Although I
loved flying the 310, I could no longer tolerate the absence of deice
equipment and the absence of an autopilot. It got to be too tiring
flying in IMC as a single pilot and without an autopilot. Also, I've had
too many icing encounters in the upper midwest for me to remain
comfortable flying my 310 in IMC. Lastly, I am tired of paying about
$15K per year in annuals.

I have a down-payment on the new Diamond TwinStar DA42, but it is not
yet certified in the US and when this will occur is anyone's guess. They
were supposed to start delivering these last Oct, but we are all still
waiting. I will also need at least 1 more partner to be able to afford
this new plane.

I am not wedded to the need for a twin. I am looking for something that
can give me 200 KTAS, can seat 4 to 6, has recent avionics, weather
detection (i.e., WX-500), autopilot and deice. My partner and I can
probably put together about $250K (max) for this plane. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Cary