RNAV vs IFR GPS

Old February 28th 04, 05:24 PM
Bob Gardner

Just look in a book of approach plates, David, and you will see approaches
listed as VOR/DME RNAV.

I have nothing to do with the publication of updates. ASA policy is that
only "safety of flight" information will be updated...everything else waits
for the next edition.

Bob Gardner

"David Brooks" wrote in message
VOR-DME is RNAV too? Now I'm confused.

When can we get those updates, Bob? (I note that asa2fly.com is a little
sparse in the "textbook updates" department).

-- David Brooks

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
I feel your pain. Since the FAA lumped GPS, Loran, and VOR-DME into one
basket labelled RNAV, I have been going nuts trying to keep my books up

date. The KNS-80 and its ilk are still around, so I have to discuss that
kind of RNAV, but because there are so many approaches labelled RNAV

(GPS),
the potential for confusion is there. It all boils down to the fact that

if
you can fly a random route using any one of the three, you have RNAV.

Bob Gardner

"PaulaJay1" wrote in message
Coming into CLE the other day the controller ask if I had RNAV and I

said
no,
that I was /G ,that is, IFR GPS. He said that it was the same and

gave
me
direct.....
Is it the same, should I have answered yes to his question? Of course

can
navigate direct but do I have "RNAV"?

Chuck

Old February 28th 04, 06:33 PM
Scott

In article , paulajay1
@aol.com says...
Coming into CLE the other day the controller ask if I had RNAV and I said no,
that I was /G ,that is, IFR GPS. He said that it was the same and gave me
direct.....
Is it the same, should I have answered yes to his question? Of course I can
navigate direct but do I have "RNAV"?

It's interesting in that /G does not distinguish between being approved
foro enroute vs. approach. I suppose if you were truly /G and this was
in the enroute environment that it's the same.

Scott
www.privacytactics.com -- Protect Your Personal Infomration Assets
Old February 28th 04, 06:44 PM
John R. Copeland

wrote in message ...
=20
=20
"John R. Copeland" wrote:

And as Sammy said, it was either the common Tower frequency,
or the common "Radio" frequency (meaning Flight Service Station).
I *think* 3023.5 kHz was for calling "Radio", who could respond
either on VHF or on the local LF/MF 4-course Adcock Range station.
If that's right, then 3105 kHz probably was the frequency for =

calling the Tower,
who could respond on the fixed frequency of 278 kHz as standard,
or on a small number of alternative HF frequencies if other towers =

were nearby.

Whew. I'd have to dig through some old stuff to remember this =

exactly,
but I'd lay money on Steven P. McNicoll's ability to turn it up =

easily.
---JRC---

=20
I have some 1945 WACs for Southern California. I don't see that =

frequency on those charts. I do see
126.18 all over the place, and some 140+ MHz. And, some really low =

frequency stuff as well.
=20

OK, Sammy, I dug up a 1955 Albany Sectional (price 25 cents!), and I =
couldn't find any reference to 3023.5 or 3105 on it, either.
But "Albany Radio" could transmit on the Albany LF/MF Range station at =
263 kHz, as well as Albany VOR at 116.9 MHz.
Albany Tower's transmitting frequencies were 278 kHz, 118.7 MHz, and =
257.8 MHz.
Nearby Schenectady Tower transmitted on 284 kHz, 126.18 MHz, and 257.8 =
MHz.

Elmira Tower used LF 278 kHz, too, but its neighboring Binghamton Tower =
used LF 332 kHz.
Both Syracuse and Rochester Towers, up to the north, were far enough =
separated to re-use 278 kHz again.
I gotta stop this nostalgic stuff. I'm forcing this thread out of =
control.
---JRC---

Old February 28th 04, 08:02 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message ...

Air Traffic Communications Station, not FSS. ;-)

Air Traffic Communications Stations only for a brief time. These facilities
were named Airway Radio Stations when the Department of Commerce assumed
responsibility for the transcontinental airway from the Post Office in 1927.
They were renamed Airway Communications Stations in 1938 and later
Interstate Airway Communications Stations. They became Air Traffic
Communications Stations after the FAA was created in August 1958 and were
renamed Flight Service Stations in March 1960.

Old February 28th 04, 08:30 PM

They became Air Traffic
Communications Stations after the FAA was created in August 1958 and were
renamed Flight Service Stations in March 1960.

That could be. But, that was the period in which I got my instrument rating and
did my early IFR X-Countries.

Old February 28th 04, 09:13 PM
Stan Gosnell

"John R. Copeland" wrote in
:

No, Stan, it was 3023.5 kHz AM, in the HF Aeronautical Mobile band,
which spans 2850-3155 kHz even to this day.

You're right, I was having momentary retreating brain stall. 3 to 30 MHz,
not kHz, is the HF band. 3025 kHz is near the bottom of the band.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old February 29th 04, 12:31 AM
John R. Copeland

"Stan Gosnell" wrote in message =
"John R. Copeland" wrote in
:=20
=20
No, Stan, it was 3023.5 kHz AM, in the HF Aeronautical Mobile band,
which spans 2850-3155 kHz even to this day.

=20
You're right, I was having momentary retreating brain stall. 3 to 30 =

MHz,=20
not kHz, is the HF band. 3025 kHz is near the bottom of the band.
=20
=20

Ooooh! A "retreating brain stall". This fixed-wing pilot liked that.

No problem, Stan. I guessed about as much.
We all get occasional senior moments :-)
---JRC---