IPC G1000

Old August 31st 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default IPC G1000

Al wrote:

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

Denny wrote:

And what happens in the real world in IMC when you have a complete
electrical loss for a few seconds that abruptly shuts down the G1000?

My point is harming the very expensive avionics by pulling a circuit
breaker.

I don't think you can "harm" the avionics by removing power, by CB or
otherwise.

I did not intend to suggest that a sudden loss of electrical power would
suddenly render the components forever dead.

It is a whole lot of money to be playing games with.

True, but your safety may depend on your knowledge of just how those
expensive avionics will respond. For instance, in case of smoke it is my
intention to secure all electrical power. I should know what happens when I
do this, and then restore power.

Al G

Pulling circuit breakers when there is smoke is prudent. Pulling them
for training is not.
Old August 31st 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Al[_1_]

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

Denny wrote:

[...]

So, when you pull it "prudently", it is your first time? And, you'll wait
until you have a real emergency to find out what else you'll have to deal
with?
I thought that we trained so that in an emergency it won't be your first
time.

Al G

Old August 31st 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

Sam Spade wrote:
I have not asked, but it seems that flying around with no mode-C will
no be allowed by ATC in so-cal.

You don't have to check, just read the transponder requirements in Part 91.

91.215 has one of those "Unless otherwise authorized or directed by
ATC" clauses. I've had conversations like this more than once:

"New York, I'm doing some avionics testing, and would like to shut
down my transponder for a while".

"Approved as requested".

That's all it takes.

Old August 31st 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

Sam Spade wrote:
Pulling circuit breakers when there is smoke is prudent. Pulling them
for training is not.

I pull breakers all the time on students. Instrument breakers. Gear
breakers. A/P breakers.

You'd be amazed how many times I pull a gear breaker and watch a
student not notice that they didn't get three green lights. Sometimes
they even mumble "three green" out of habit.

Old September 1st 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven Barnes

I don't remember seeing any specific error message. I hate to admit it, but
I don't remember looking for the satellites page. The pretty little map was
just frozen on the last place it knew it was (which was right under the St.
Louis class B shelf. :-D).
Ah, well. That DA-40 has now been sold & our FBO has a shiny used Warrior...

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
newsC6Jg.6334$SZ3.3462@dukeread04...
Or put a guard on it, can be as simple as a metal or
plastic wall.

Was the GPS totally dead or just not locked on the
satellites?

"Steven Barnes" wrote in message
. com...
|A year ago, while flying a G1000 equipped Diamond DA-40, I
accidentally hit
| the master/alt switch with my map book. We were VFR, but
the panel going
| black scared me for a sec. When I realized the plane was
still chugging
| along I flipped the switch back up. Perhaps a little too
quickly. The PFD
| came online & booted pretty quickly. The GPS would not
hook up, though.
| Radios worked, VORs worked. Just no GPS. Weird.
| Got a quick refresher in pilotage. :-)
|
| I never heard from the FBO about any problems afterwards &
flew the plane a
| few times after that with no trouble. No clue why the GPS
wouldn't find
| itself, but the primary stuff & engine gauges came back
very fast.

Old September 1st 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
jbskies

Sam Spade wrote:
My experience with Garmin stuff is limited to the 530. I would never
pull the CB for it without first turning the unit off.

My GNS530 is connected to a Avionic Master Switch. It is fine to turn
off the AMS without turn off the 530. It won't hurt anything. GN
S530 is a solid state computer. There is no hard drive inside that is
needed to be shutdown and park the reading heads.

Old September 3rd 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Roy Smith wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:

I have not asked, but it seems that flying around with no mode-C will
no be allowed by ATC in so-cal.

You don't have to check, just read the transponder requirements in Part 91.

91.215 has one of those "Unless otherwise authorized or directed by
ATC" clauses. I've had conversations like this more than once:

"New York, I'm doing some avionics testing, and would like to shut
down my transponder for a while".

"Approved as requested".

That's all it takes.

I didn't glean that he wanted to ask. Depends where he is in SoCal
airspace whether they would say yes.
Old September 3rd 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Al wrote:

Pulling circuit breakers when there is smoke is prudent. Pulling them for
training is not.

So, when you pull it "prudently", it is your first time? And, you'll wait
until you have a real emergency to find out what else you'll have to deal
with?
I thought that we trained so that in an emergency it won't be your first
time.

Not necessarily so.

If you own the airplance with the G1000 and want to practice pulling CBs
for complex electronic gear, have at it.
Old September 3rd 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

jbskies wrote:

Sam Spade wrote:

My experience with Garmin stuff is limited to the 530. I would never
pull the CB for it without first turning the unit off.

My GNS530 is connected to a Avionic Master Switch. It is fine to turn
off the AMS without turn off the 530. It won't hurt anything. GN
S530 is a solid state computer. There is no hard drive inside that is
needed to be shutdown and park the reading heads.

If you are comfortable doing it that way, have at it.

G1000 question Robert M. Gary Piloting 0 May 1st 06 10:36 PM
New Garmin G1000 Book - read part online Max T, CFI Aviation Marketplace 0 April 16th 06 03:59 PM
G1000 trainer simulator problems akiley Simulators 2 March 25th 06 07:54 PM
G1000 Check out Michelle Piloting 105 January 7th 06 04:33 AM
G1000 lost GPS for a bit Steven Barnes Piloting 3 July 26th 05 02:56 AM