How to adhere to this obstacle departure procedure?

Old April 21st 05, 07:52 PM
Peter R.

Default How to adhere to this obstacle departure procedure?

For several weeks now I have been flying to the Dunkirk airport (KDKK, NY
State, US) for business. Most weeks, the weather was VFR for my departure.
However, the last two weeks the weather was IFR and adherence to this
airport's obstacle departure procedure was required.

The procedure is very straight-forward and reads:

"Departing rwy 24, climb runway heading to 1,200 feet (about 500 ft AGL),
then climbing right turn direct to DKK VOR (VOR is on the field) before
proceeding on course."

Here is a small JPG of the relevant sectional chart showing the airport:

http://thericcs.net/aviation/misc/DKK.jpg

My question is this: I am departing runway 24 with a desired on course
heading of 080. Thus, I depart and climb to 1,200 msl, then climbing turn
to the right to go direct to the on-field VOR before proceeding at 090 on
course.

Climbing runway heading at about 800 fpm in a Bonanza, I reach 1,200 feet
MSL in about 38 seconds. 38 seconds of traveling at a ground speed of
about 95 kts does not place me far enough away from the airport to be able
to perform a standard rate turn to the right to go direct to the VOR.

The two times I have needed to use this departure procedure I ended up too
far west of the VOR (over the water and safe from obstacles). To get
around quickly enough to be able to go to the VOR would require a much
steeper turn, something not advisable in IMC.

In both cases, despite being west of the VOR by 3/4ths of a mile or so, I
concluded that I could proceed safely on course to the northeast and did
so, rather than spiral around over the VOR in an attempt to reach the
waypoint.

How would you adhere to this departure procedure?

--
Peter

Old April 21st 05, 09:11 PM
Roy Smith

Peter R. wrote:
"Departing rwy 24, climb runway heading to 1,200 feet (about 500 ft AGL),
then climbing right turn direct to DKK VOR (VOR is on the field) before
proceeding on course."

Here is a small JPG of the relevant sectional chart showing the airport:

http://thericcs.net/aviation/misc/DKK.jpg

My question is this: I am departing runway 24 with a desired on course
heading of 080. Thus, I depart and climb to 1,200 msl, then climbing turn
to the right to go direct to the on-field VOR before proceeding at 090 on
course.

Climbing runway heading at about 800 fpm in a Bonanza, I reach 1,200 feet
MSL in about 38 seconds. 38 seconds of traveling at a ground speed of
about 95 kts does not place me far enough away from the airport to be able
to perform a standard rate turn to the right to go direct to the VOR.

I see your dilemma, but I think you're worried about stuff that
doesn't need worrying about. By the time you started your right turn
at 1200, you were already above anything along your departure path
(and still climbing, presumably). Make the initial right turn to 090
and off you go.

It only gets interesting when heading south and you need to make sure
you clear the 2849 tower (conveniently located smack in the middle of
the airway). In that case, what I would do is set 166 on the OBS and
if I wasn't at the 2300 required by the DP when the flag flipped from
TO to FROM, I'd do one lap in a racetrack pattern (even easier with a
moving map GPS).
Old April 21st 05, 09:39 PM

One you reach 1,200 feet and complete the turn right back towards the east, you've
complied. Just make sure you roll out to intercept the 090 course within a reasonable
distance of the VOR. You will have passed abeam, and near, the VOR, which is good
enough for this type of ODP instruction.

Old April 21st 05, 10:15 PM
Peter R.

Roy Smith wrote:

It only gets interesting when heading south and you need to make sure
you clear the 2849 tower (conveniently located smack in the middle of
the airway). In that case, what I would do is set 166 on the OBS and
if I wasn't at the 2300 required by the DP when the flag flipped from
TO to FROM, I'd do one lap in a racetrack pattern (even easier with a
moving map GPS).

I was wondering that, too. 2,300 at the VOR for a southbound course (I
omitted this section of the DP in my original post) only leaves about 6nm
or so to climb the additional 500 feet to clear that tower. Do-able,
assuming the pilot of the single-engine piston was really paying attention
to flying the aircraft. I agree with you that another safe lap around
would be prudent.

--
Peter

Old April 21st 05, 11:37 PM
Roy Smith

Peter R. wrote:
Roy Smith wrote:

It only gets interesting when heading south and you need to make sure
you clear the 2849 tower (conveniently located smack in the middle of
the airway). In that case, what I would do is set 166 on the OBS and
if I wasn't at the 2300 required by the DP when the flag flipped from
TO to FROM, I'd do one lap in a racetrack pattern (even easier with a
moving map GPS).

I was wondering that, too. 2,300 at the VOR for a southbound course (I
omitted this section of the DP in my original post) only leaves about 6nm
or so to climb the additional 500 feet to clear that tower.

Only? That's a climb gradient of less than 100 feet per mile.

Do-able, assuming the pilot of the single-engine piston was really
paying attention to flying the aircraft.

I agree with you that another safe lap around would be prudent.

My comments about the shallow climb gradient notwithstanding, it's
more than prudent, it's required by the DP.

DEPARTURE PROCEDU Rwys 6, 15, climb runway
heading to 1200, then climbing left turn direct DKK
VORTAC before proceeding on course. Rwys 24, 33,
climb runway heading to 1200, then climbing right turn
direct DKK VORTAC before proceeding on course.
Southbound aircraft cross DKK VORTAC at or above
2300.

BTW, I think it's a little confusing the way this DP is worded. At
first glance, it looks like the requirement to cross DKK at or above
2300 only applies to 24 and 33 departures, but I'm pretty sure it
applies to all departures.
Old April 22nd 05, 03:07 AM
Peter R.

Roy Smith wrote:

Only? That's a climb gradient of less than 100 feet per mile.

OK, so that clears the tower by an inch or two, but I was thinking more of
the typical IFR obstacle clearance amount, which would be somewhere around
250 feet per mile.

--
Peter

Old April 22nd 05, 03:11 AM
Peter R.

Make a climbing right turn. If you have not crossed your 090 course
by the time you reach a 060 heading or so, stop the turn and hold
that heading until you intercept. the 090 course from the south side
of the course. Proceed on course.

Interesting. This was certainly not an item touched on during my
instrument training.

I suppose this is where receiving training from an experienced instrument
pilot and instructor would far surpass receiving training from a
time-building instructor.

--
Peter

Old April 22nd 05, 03:12 AM
Peter R.

You will have passed abeam, and near, the VOR, which is good
enough for this type of ODP instruction.

Thanks, Tim.

--
Peter

Old April 22nd 05, 03:21 AM
Peter R.

"Peter R." wrote:

For several weeks now I have been flying to the Dunkirk airport (KDKK, NY
State, US) for business. Most weeks, the weather was VFR for my departure.
However, the last two weeks the weather was IFR and adherence to this
airport's obstacle departure procedure was required.

One other question about this departu Being that it is an uncontrolled
field, I would announce my intention to depart the runway and circle to the
southwest to overfly the airport and depart to the east.

In true IFR weather all of this radio verbiage is probably overkill, no?
There are no VFR aircraft around and there are no IFR aircraft that close
to approaching, given that I was released by ATC. Would it be more concise
for me to simply say "departing rwy 24 to the east?"

--
Peter

Old April 22nd 05, 11:02 AM

"Peter R." wrote:

"Peter R." wrote:

For several weeks now I have been flying to the Dunkirk airport (KDKK, NY
State, US) for business. Most weeks, the weather was VFR for my departure.
However, the last two weeks the weather was IFR and adherence to this
airport's obstacle departure procedure was required.

One other question about this departu Being that it is an uncontrolled
field, I would announce my intention to depart the runway and circle to the
southwest to overfly the airport and depart to the east.

In true IFR weather all of this radio verbiage is probably overkill, no?
There are no VFR aircraft around and there are no IFR aircraft that close
to approaching, given that I was released by ATC. Would it be more concise
for me to simply say "departing rwy 24 to the east?"

This gets down to style ;-) I would say "Departure Runway 24 with a right turn to
proceed east.