Martinsville Approach

Old October 27th 04, 10:51 AM

G Farris wrote:

I know it's not considered good form to discuss or speculate on accidents
before the factual reports are released - however I'll bet I'm not the only
one who pulls up an approach plate when hearing about an accident on an IFR
approach. In my opinion, as long as the interest remains technical, and the
discussion respectful, we should not be held to any specious rule of silence
about accidents. Afer all, they are one of our best sources of learning, and
the primary source for rule-making - so it should be both natural and wise to
take an interest.

Looking at the RNAV approach plate for Martinsville, I notice that the missed
approach altitude is lower than the obstacle clearance altitude required to
make another approach. This means, after a missed, you would have to climb out
of the holding altitude to reach a safe altitude to make a second try on the
same approach. I thought that was contrary to TERPS procedures.

G Faris

Not contrary to TERPs at all. A missed approach must be capable of supporting
holding or en route flight, not return to fly another approach. In this case, the
terrain over the airport and in all quadrants except the NW area is flat as a
pancake. The MEA for the airway where the missed approach hold is located is
3,000 feet.

If someone wants to leave the area, they are all set. If they want to fly another
IAP they have a lot of room to crank back on up to 5500.

Old October 27th 04, 10:55 AM

This is the airport where the NASCAR Hendricks King Air crashed. But,
they had missed off the LOC RWY 30 IAP and, for some reason, went
straight ahead.

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:26:07 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

KMTV.

Thank you.
--ron

Old October 27th 04, 12:31 PM
Ron Natalie

C Kingsbury wrote:
"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

What is telling is that if you start on the approach and don't make it to

the

final segment, you're kind of in limbo when below the MSA if you need to

bail.

I was taught to not initiate the missed approach procedure until reaching
the missed approach point for just this reason. The missed approach
procedure assumes you're starting from the MAP and provides obstacle
clearance accordingly.

Precisely, that's the reason, I was just pointing out that it's unlikely
to have been an issue in this approach.
Old October 27th 04, 12:36 PM
G Farris

Didn't realize they were missed off the LOC RWY 30.
This almost precludes a misreading of the chart, as the missed for this
approach is a climbing right turn back to the LOM at 2600.
Presumably, they knew the airport, so they would have been aware of terrain
issues in the NW quadrant - we'll have to await more factual information to
know whether they had an airplane problem or a major distraction to cause them
to fly straight ahead. Condolances to all of them, and their loved ones.

G Faris

Old October 27th 04, 12:57 PM
Michelle P

I have flown this approach into Martinsville, VA at night in low (under
1000 ft). in a twin. You are flying at the mountains into a "box" canyon
type area. If you do the missed in-correctly you will hit the mountains.
The pucker factor was high.
Michelle

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old October 27th 04, 03:11 PM
Hankal

I have flown this approach into Martinsville, VA at night in low (under
1000 ft). in a twin

I have flown into MTV visual approach.
My first encounter with hills.
I fooled me sinec I have only flown in Florida and Georgia.
Old October 27th 04, 04:39 PM
OtisWinslow

They went missed off the approach to rwy 30 according to the FAA report.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

G Faris

There are a number of airports in the country related to the name
"Martinsville". It would be helpful if you would post the ID for that
airport.
--ron

I believe he is referring to the MTV RNAV rwy 12 approach.
I think the airport is Blue Ridge or something like that.

Old October 27th 04, 04:41 PM

Michelle P wrote:

I have flown this approach into Martinsville, VA at night in low (under
1000 ft). in a twin. You are flying at the mountains into a "box" canyon
type area. If you do the missed in-correctly you will hit the mountains.
The pucker factor was high.
Michelle

If you get a pucker factor with hills 8 miles away from the airport, you better not
come out west. ;-)

Old October 27th 04, 09:22 PM
Kevin Chandler

According to the FAA report, the were on the miss for the LOC 30 approach.

Old October 27th 04, 10:04 PM
Dave Butler

Kevin Chandler wrote:
According to the FAA report, the were on the miss for the LOC 30 approach.

Where could I see that report? Thanks.