Chicago area from the southwest - advice?

Old December 5th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
bdl

Default Chicago area from the southwest - advice?

Everett M. Greene wrote:
If you pass by some high rocks and start seeing an
endless stretch of water ahead of you, you have
probably been sent a bit too far west.

I figured by the time I saw the Alexis Park Inn, I'd land and stay the
night. That's at least way before the rocks. :-)

Old December 11th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Chad Speer

Well, the weather was severe clear for the trip up, so we went into
Midway VFR. I called Midway Tower (frequency on the Chicago TAC says
Midway Approach) over BOJAK, which is published on the I-55 VISUAL
APPROACH RWY 13C. It was on my way and easy for them to find. They
assigned me a code and put me straight to the field entering Class C at
or below 2000.

I eventually got a right downwind to 22R, while the big kids played on
22L (actually ILS 31C circle to 22L). I kept it in close and landed
long (probably unnecessary, since I didn't hear anyone else assigned to
that runway while taxiing in). Two hours and ten minutes on the clock
with a groundspeed most of the way of 165 knots. Too much for an
Archer, should be a long trip back. ;-)

Atlantic Aviation exceeded my expectations. Check my remarks on
AirNav. Great experience.

Left early last night because the weather looked like it could hold
some icing potential today (now it looks okay). We filed IFR, departed
in the dark VFR on course, ran into a ragged layer at 4000, picked up
our IFR with Chicago Center and took it up to 10000 looking for some
relief from the headwind. No luck. Groundspeed was 100 knots no
matter where we cruised. We stayed up high and with time spent below
2000 with Midway and below 4000 waiting for a clearance (and making 85
knots across the ground), we made Kansas City in just under 4 hours,
including a GPS18 back home at LXT.

Thanks again for all of your advice. This was a fun trip for my wife
and me.

Chad Speer
PP-ASEL, IA
ATCS, Kansas City ARTCC

Old December 11th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Chad Speer

I forgot to post a link to a nice photo we took while taxiing in to
Atlantic Aviation.

http://www.stickywebz.com/flying/midway.jpg

Chad Speer
PP-ASEL, IA
ATCS, Kansas City ARTCC

Old December 12th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Travis Marlatte

Excellent, Chad. Glad it worked out.

Can you tally your expenses at Midway for us?

--
-------------------------------
Travis

oups.com...

Old December 12th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Chad Speer

Travis Marlatte wrote:

*****
Excellent, Chad. Glad it worked out.

Can you tally your expenses at Midway for us?
*****

Sure - easily done.

$7.50 Landing Fee

$15/night ramp fee - first night waived with minimum fuel purchase. My
22 gallons were enough, but I don't remember the minimum. I only
stayed one night, so no ramp fees.

Fuel was $4.83/gal for 100LL. Airnav is showing $5.23 as of Dec. 1. I
don't know if that's a price change or a weekend discount. I had heard
of a flowage fee, but no such creature showed up on my bill.

They plugged my Tanis heater in at no cost.

Total cost? $7.50 plus fuel.

Chad Speer
PP-ASEL, IA
ATCS, Kansas City ARTCC

Old December 12th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

: Fuel was $4.83/gal for 100LL. Airnav is showing $5.23 as of Dec. 1. I
: don't know if that's a price change or a weekend discount. I had heard
: of a flowage fee, but no such creature showed up on my bill.

: They plugged my Tanis heater in at no cost.

: Total cost? $7.50 plus fuel.

That's a pretty big "plus."

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

Old December 31st 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

Chad Speer wrote:
Travis Marlatte wrote:

*****
Excellent, Chad. Glad it worked out.

Can you tally your expenses at Midway for us?
*****

Sure - easily done.

$7.50 Landing Fee

$15/night ramp fee - first night waived with minimum fuel purchase. My
22 gallons were enough, but I don't remember the minimum. I only
stayed one night, so no ramp fees.

Fuel was $4.83/gal for 100LL. Airnav is showing $5.23 as of Dec. 1. I
don't know if that's a price change or a weekend discount. I had heard
of a flowage fee, but no such creature showed up on my bill.

They plugged my Tanis heater in at no cost.

Total cost? $7.50 plus fuel.

Wow, a positive experience at MDW, its a Festivus Miracle ...... JG