Leaving the community

Old November 4th 04, 04:01 AM
mike regish

Couldn't have said it better myself, Cecil.

Thanks for taking the time. Too bad it's all wasted, though.

mike regish

"Cecil Chapman" wrote in message
m...

Guns

He's a hunter, I'm pretty sure they use guns for that (he's not a
bowhunter). Just because one doesn't support ownership of AK-47's and
public access to armor-piercing bullets doesn't make one an enemy to gun
ownership. In fact, his record as a senator reveals that he has
consistently supported appropriate gun ownership. I own two shotguns and
a couple of rifles - don't hunt, but skeet and target shoot. Even still,
I just don't think the average citizen needs armor-piercing bullets or
AK-47's (unless you live in remote parts of Alaska grin)/.

?, gay marriage

He stated he was against 'gay marriage' - but in favor of civil unions
that allowed long-time gay couples the right to visit their partner in the
hospital, claims to benefits, etc. This is something that I would think
any reasonable person would think a long-time couple would be entitled to
(regardless of the sexual orientation. You know the funny thing about this
kind of bigotry is that it reminds me of what we would hear in the 60's
"Can't let 'coloreds' have any rights and god-forbid they should be
allowed to marry white-folk". Jeesh,,, doesn't anyone EVER learn from the
lessons of the past.

When are we going to remember the line about 'separation of church and
state'. The gay population has become the new 'coloreds' - get over your
bigotry. Live and let live. A gay couple in a civil union or
marriage,,,, whatever,,,, is no threat to my marriage. In the end it is
just about two consenting adults that care about one another and
recognizing that they have pledged to spend the rest of their lives
together - that sounds pretty cool to me. Of course the ignorant
'religious right' will refer to the Bible, citing that quote regarding the
men of Sodom. I will ask these same people if they have ever done
anything wrong with their hand, or sinned by looking at something and
point out if they haven't cut off that hand or plucked out that eye they
have already violated more than a few of the directives in the Bible. and
GASP what if your women don't keep their heads covered (as mentioned in
both the Old testament AND in the NEW Testament in some of the books of
the New Testament written by Paul). Don't even get me started on the
absurd Adam and Eve story which (if you are ignorant enough to buy into
the account) makes it necessary for all their progeny to commit incest in
order to procreate - of course that would partly explain why some people
seem to have a 'birth defect' in their unreasoned thinking. grin

Regarding the 'gay marriage' issue,,, we need to develop policy based on
fairness and reason, not on some quaint historical book with a cross on
it. Jeesh,,, we might as well just worship rocks and pray to salamanders
for all the similar good it would do. Visit a children's hospital (I have
and it will break your heart),,, the children live and die the same
whether they pray to a 'god' or speak to hamsters... and personally, if
there were a divine being, I can't possibly think of a prayer more worthy
of being granted than the prayer of some dear 4 year old in a cancer ward,
just asking to see their next birthday, hardly ever seems to be 'granted'
though. Of course the 'beauty' of any superstition is that you can go on
to make excuses why it doesn't seem to work all the time, but it is still
superstition; borne from stories of magic, evil and good spirits.
Superstition is great to study, but makes a poor ruler to measure
political policy by and make legislative policy. Let's get out of the
dark ages.

, taxes

Good point,,, you're right Kerry was clearly against tax breaks for the
wealthy, the group that Bush was caught referring to during a private
dinner that was videotaped and to whom he referred to as "My own
eople" ---- Got that right, W. Thank goodness there was someone looking
out for the common man (and still is,,,, as a Senator) as John Kerry.

, the UN.

YIKES! Please tell me that you have most of your teeth and that you don't
play 'Dueling Banjos' along some remote bayou? The United Nations is
LEFTIST? Do you even know the history and original purpose of the United
Nations? Read a book! What was wrong with having a consensus (and some
help) before blundering into Vietnam... OOPS I mean Iraq? Were we under
attack,,,, NO,,,,, I seem to recall Afghanistan had posed that threat but
we never finished trying to get HIM.

You may not agree but they are.

Well, YOU would know.... After all we 'know' that God is on our
side......... ooops... that's the same thinking of Bin Laden uses

jeesh

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old November 4th 04, 04:03 AM
Michael 182

Cecil,

Repeat after me. Never, never, never argue second amendment rights in a
newsgroup. If you need frustration try teaching your dog not to chase
rabbits. In fact, you have a better chance of succeeding there than you do
in converting NRA members.

Michael
(A confirmed gun control advocate...)

"Cecil Chapman" wrote in message
m...
He's opposed to private ownership of any firearm except shotguns plugged
to three
shells. And just where in the Constitution exactly is hunting mentioned?
He prattles
about "military-style assault weapons" while trying to ban
semi-automatics, knowing
full well that no military-style assault weapon is semi-automatic.

Have you actually read his voting record and what types of weapons each
respective legislation was referring to? Evidently, not!

=-----

Old November 4th 04, 04:05 AM
Peter Duniho

"Laura Clayton" wrote in message
Apparently you can fool 50% of the people, but there is always a noise
function.

I've often wondered why some people feel the need to insult the
intelligence of their fellow voters who simply do not agree with
their world views.

Actually, according to the Gallup Poll, among Republicans you can fool over
60% of the people.

I can't speak for where Bob's coming from, but the truth remains that for
the most part, people who voted for Bush don't actually have their facts
straight. This is not disputable.

Pete

Old November 4th 04, 04:06 AM
John T

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Why are all of the conservatives states in places that are cold in the
winter?

They're not.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old November 4th 04, 04:08 AM
Jay Honeck

To be fair, the only reason that there was a surplus is because the
country got caught up in a technology stock mania. The market was
generating trillions of short term gains and taxes on those gains is what
swelled federal and state coffers. Bush entered the white house with
millions of taxpayers carrying forward losses.

Now, hush, Mike.

Don't confuse Cecil with facts like these -- it'll get in the way of his
built-up, hard-earned dander...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 4th 04, 04:08 AM
Rich Lemert

Jay Honeck wrote:

These people are mad Kerry didn't run a liberal campaign and can't stand
that he "was just as pro-war as Bush."

That is SO ironic.

If the Democrats has nominated a middle-of-the-road guy to run against
Bush -- say, Dick Gephardt -- this election would not have even been close.
The Democrats would have swept the nation, and never by less than 25
percentage points.

Heck, if Bush was anywhere near the middle of the road, I might have
considered voting for him.

I actually had a very unusual experience this election. One of the
minor statewide offices here (Chairman of the State Agriculture
Commission) had two candidates that had almost identical experience
and who held almost identical views regarding the position they were
running for. What really made it strange, though, was the fact that I
agreed with their positions! It's extremely unusual for there to be
one candidate in a contest that I feel I can vote _for_, but two????
I almost didn't know what to do.

Rich Lemert

Old November 4th 04, 04:08 AM
Jim Fisher

"Capt.Doug" wrote in message
Many people didn't vote for Bush as much as they voted against Edwards.

Just chiming in here but speak for yourself. I voted FOR Bush and utterly
against JOhn KErry.

--
Jim Fisher

Old November 4th 04, 04:08 AM
Chris E

Cecil Chapman wrote:

P.S. You're right, we should all thank Mr. Bush for turning a hard-earned
surplus budget (earned under Clinton's rule) into a 4.3 trillion dollar
DEFICIT.

The surplus budget was a scam, since much of that income turned out to be
losses due to technology speculation, rampant unchecked corporate fraud in the
late 90s, and even during the "surplus" social security monies were still
being siphoned off. The Nasdaq market peaked Jan 2000, and NYSE was dropping
steadily after March 2000,well before Bush was in office. Also keep in mind
that Bush had nothing to do with FY 2001 budget, which was in effect through
30 Sep 2001. The deficit did have much to do with an attack that happened on
Sept 2001, you may recall it, and the war on the terrorists. More attacks and
there wouldn't be much of an economy to worry about deficits. I don't recall
FDR holding off entering the WWII after Pearl Harbor because of worrying about
current deficits. We all remember the deficit scare stories from the 1980s,
and as the economy grew and expanded in time, the tax revenue came back in.
Deficits now are not extraordinary when properly compared to GDP, historically
speaking. Current GDP growth is about 4.3%, showing strong growth, especially
when compared with other Western nations, such as Germany, that hope, hope for
GDP growth in the 0.2% range this year.

Also remember a deficit is a flow concept, not a stock concept that can be
inherited.

Old November 4th 04, 04:10 AM
Chris E

Cecil Chapman wrote:

I have the right to own and fire my Mauser, and, as far as I'm concerned,
that
includes the right to be allowed to buy ammunition for it. Kerry tried to
ban that,

I almost forgot,,,,what for goodness sake do you need to be firing
ammunition as large as the type that the Mauser uses? Are the deer BIGGER
where you live,,, home protection, if that's what you are thinking, favors a
shotgun (that's per some cop friends, who would know).

But PLEASE tell me that you aren't one of those crazies that thinks that if
the "government takes over" its' citizens, you are going to be there like
Rambo to prevent it - if that's it,,, don't want to have to tell ya bub, but
you'll be easily outgunned and outmanned and be planted in the ground in
your tracks, faster than you can blink.

Then there are the Freudian possibilities regarding the subconscious need to
have BIG cartridges grin

The 2nd amendment speaks of the right to bear arms, not the right to bear arms
that are approved by certain folks. Similarily the 1st amendment provides right
to free speech to make remarks about all kinds of issues, not just certain
issues that some folks feel ok.

Old November 4th 04, 04:11 AM
Jim Fisher

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...
To be fair, the only reason that there was a surplus is because the
country got caught up in a technology stock mania. The market was
generating trillions of short term gains and taxes on those gains is what
swelled federal and state coffers. Bush entered the white house with
millions of taxpayers carrying forward losses.

Not fair, Mike. That studious observation is waaay to complicated for us
little people to grasp.

--
Jim Fisher