CBS News- Small Airport Security 1/14 Wed

Old January 14th 04, 04:08 AM
RDA

Default CBS News- Small Airport Security 1/14 Wed

Dan Rather/ CBS Evening News is advertising a sensational news story about
small airport security, or, as the advertisement implies, the serious lack
of it.

Typical tag line: "What we found out will surprise you!"

Ok...prepare to be surprised...and gutted...and vivisectioned...only as the
media knows how...

It's supposed to air 1/14/04 according to ads.

Did anybody see the coverage of the 'lady pilot' on their Early Show today?
There was something that was supposed to surprise us there, but I didn't get
to watch it. Dang.

RDA

Old January 14th 04, 06:24 PM
C J Campbell

"RDA" wrote in message
. ..
| Dan Rather/ CBS Evening News is advertising a sensational news story about
| small airport security, or, as the advertisement implies, the serious lack
| of it.
|
| Typical tag line: "What we found out will surprise you!"

If the news media want more security, I suggest we let them have it.
Literally. Any news person photographing the airport or interviewing pilots
or airport personnel should be bodily tackled and their camera and recording
equipment smashed. Then we tell them that the airport cannot be photographed
or aviation employees interviewed because it might give away security
secrets. Hey, if it is good enough the FAA's HQ, then we can do no less for
our precious airfields.

Old January 15th 04, 03:14 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"karel adams" wrote:

"C J Campbell" schreef in
bericht ...

"RDA" wrote in message
. ..
| Dan Rather/ CBS Evening News is advertising a sensational news story

about
| small airport security, or, as the advertisement implies, the

serious lack
| of it.
|
| Typical tag line: "What we found out will surprise you!"

If the news media want more security, I suggest we let them have it.
Literally. Any news person photographing the airport or interviewing

pilots
or airport personnel should be bodily tackled and their camera and

recording
equipment smashed. Then we tell them that the airport cannot be

photographed
or aviation employees interviewed because it might give away security
secrets. Hey, if it is good enough the FAA's HQ, then we can do no

less for
our precious airfields.

cynical

Yes that certainly ought to be introduced.
Now that the former USSR enemy is dead
(or at least harmless)
the USA absolutely need to take over
all their weaknesses

Going the right way, Uncle Sam!
Wishing you a merry senility!

/cynical

PS suggestion: instead of allowing lawyers to sue
any supplier of aviation equipment/accessories
into bankruptcy, could not Uncle Sam steer them
against untruthful information providers?

KA

I watched the hit piece. IMHO, the Eagle's Nest people got taken -- they
probably invited CBS in, hoping that they would make a feature putting
the "threat" into perspective.

If the news people had any common sense, they would realize that GA --
especially residential airparks -- present the wrong demographics for
terrorists to thrive. In an airpark, everybody knows everybody else.
Those facts were probably deliberately left on the cutting room floor.

I heard that Sam Donaldson wanted to do a story on Spruce Creek about a
year ago -- the POA politely turned him down.
Old January 15th 04, 04:01 PM
C J Campbell

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news |

| I watched the hit piece. IMHO, the Eagle's Nest people got taken -- they
| probably invited CBS in, hoping that they would make a feature putting
| the "threat" into perspective.

Shows like "60 Minutes" thrive on this kind of optimism. They tell their
victims "We can do this with you or without you, but if you cooperate you
will get to tell your side of the story." Sure you do. They just won't air
the part that tells your side of the story. And yet people still think after
years of this nonsense that they can still beat the network smear goons at
their own game. Just goes to show there is a sucker born every minute.

So many people over at rec.aviation.piloting were so proud that their emails
and calls prompted yet another network type to come out and do a response at
their airport. Most of them will not be aired at all or, if they are lucky,
in the middle of the daytime soaps. Those that actually make prime time news
will be made to look like fools or selfish, evil businessmen that got their
toes stepped on.

My advice: never talk to a reporter. Never cooperate. Harass and interfere
with their work as much as possible. Let them know that they are a detriment
to society and that their efforts are not appreciated -- in any area, not
just aviation. Remember, what they do to aviation is what they do to
everybody else. Ask any landlord, doctor, or boat owner. Those people don't
advertise on TV, so it is easy to pick on them.

Old January 15th 04, 04:15 PM
Ed Wischmeyer

My advice: never talk to a reporter. Never cooperate. Harass and interfere
with their work as much as possible. Let them know that they are a detriment
to society and that their efforts are not appreciated -- in any area, not
just aviation. Remember, what they do to aviation is what they do to
everybody else. Ask any landlord, doctor, or boat owner. Those people don't
advertise on TV, so it is easy to pick on them.

Or here's another way. Take notes on who the sponsors are on CBS news,
and organize a group and go out and buy competitor's products. Mail the
receipts, along with very calm, professional-like letters, and explain
politely to those sponsors that they are supporting threats to American
freedom in the same way that some Muslim charities are supporting
threats to American physical security, and you are working hard to take
business away from them -- as witnessed by the receipts. If you got 100
people from all over the country to send in letters with receipts, you
might do some good.

Ed Wischmeyer
Old January 15th 04, 06:32 PM
John Ousterhout

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:01:38 -0800, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

My advice: never talk to a reporter. Never cooperate. Harass and interfere
with their work as much as possible. Let them know that they are a detriment
to society and that their efforts are not appreciated -- in any area, not
just aviation. Remember, what they do to aviation is what they do to
everybody else. Ask any landlord, doctor, or boat owner. Those people don't
advertise on TV, so it is easy to pick on them.

If you don't like the US media here perhaps you'd prefer the Red
Chinese media :-)

Compared to the others, ours is great.

- John (grading on the curve) Ousterhout -

Old January 15th 04, 07:00 PM
C J Campbell

"John Ousterhout"
wrote in message ...
| On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:01:38 -0800, "C J Campbell"
| wrote:
|
| My advice: never talk to a reporter. Never cooperate. Harass and
interfere
| with their work as much as possible. Let them know that they are a
detriment
| to society and that their efforts are not appreciated -- in any area, not
| just aviation. Remember, what they do to aviation is what they do to
| everybody else. Ask any landlord, doctor, or boat owner. Those people
don't
| advertise on TV, so it is easy to pick on them.
|
| If you don't like the US media here perhaps you'd prefer the Red
| Chinese media :-)
|
| Compared to the others, ours is great.

It apparently is no more accurate. What is so great about it? Why does the
choice have to be between US media idiots and the Chinese? Why can't we have
responsible news media and let the commies do whatever they want with
theirs?

Old January 15th 04, 08:22 PM
Snowbird

"C J Campbell" wrote in message ...
So many people over at rec.aviation.piloting were so proud that their emails
and calls prompted yet another network type to come out and do a response at
their airport.

much snipped

CJ,

Would you be so kind as to help me out with the links (or the
names of the posters and subject lines) of these "so many people"?

I think I may have seen one post making the suggestion but none
from people who actually did it, and I'd really like to read
them.

Thanks a bunch! You can email me, hoeltzli at swbell dot net
if you prefer.

I don't know if the manager of the airport CBS quoted got "taken"
or not. He seems to have some different views than I would have
expected -- but then, I do take the point that one can be asked
leading questions or have the context left on the cutting room floor.

My advice: never talk to a reporter. Never cooperate.

Well, this pretty much 100% guarantees what side of the story
will be presented.

Cheers,
Sydney
Old January 15th 04, 09:30 PM
C J Campbell

"Snowbird" wrote in message
om...
| "C J Campbell" wrote in message
| So many people over at rec.aviation.piloting were so proud that their
emails
| and calls prompted yet another network type to come out and do a
response at
| their airport.
|
| much snipped
|
| CJ,
|
| Would you be so kind as to help me out with the links (or the
| names of the posters and subject lines) of these "so many people"?

Jim Burns said that a local affiliate was on its way out to his airport.
Other posters thought it was a good idea and it has been a recurring theme
that the best way to get news support is to call local news people and take
them for free rides, etc.

| I think I may have seen one post making the suggestion but none
| from people who actually did it, and I'd really like to read
| them.
|
| Thanks a bunch! You can email me, hoeltzli at swbell dot net
| if you prefer.
|
| I don't know if the manager of the airport CBS quoted got "taken"
| or not. He seems to have some different views than I would have
| expected -- but then, I do take the point that one can be asked
| leading questions or have the context left on the cutting room floor.
|
| My advice: never talk to a reporter. Never cooperate.
|
| Well, this pretty much 100% guarantees what side of the story
| will be presented.

The same side that would be presented if you did not grant the interview,
but at least you would be spared the embarrassment of either appearing to
agree with everything they say or being made to look like a fool.

Old January 15th 04, 10:06 PM
AL

Your standards are too low, John. After ZZZZZZZOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM though, I can
understand you thinking that the REST of American media is pretty tame. We
must never succumb to the easy way out engendered by accepting the
unacceptable just because it's the best there is.

--
Al Mills
Wake me before we take off...